Baseball in Japan: A Different Fan Experience

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by thefitworldtraveler, Nov 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thefitworldtraveler
    Original Member

thefitworldtraveler Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting write up. My first Japanese baseball game was at the Tokyo Dome too, though the offensive output was a bit different as the Giants 3B hit 3 HRs that game (obviously quite the oddity in their game). I think the experience of the game is much better, with the chanting fans and all the commotion either outfield section (and as you pointed out, the lack of profanity and obnoxious behavior). And the beer girls are a bit more pleasant than the sweaty dudes in the US.

I went to a game a few years later at the Osaka Dome (when Bobby Valentine was still managing there, which made for a bit more of an interesting story), and I thought the experience was a little more subdued than in Tokyo, but it was still a lot of fun.

Of course, its not going to change your opinion if you don't much care for baseball. For a causal fan, the game itself may be a bit more boring for the reasons you mentioned.

3. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks to both of you for sharing your stories. Brings back memories of when I had the pleasure of taking in a Yokohama Baystars game on an rainy night in April. Despite the less than stellar weather conditions the chanting fans never missed a beat. I remember eating pea pods during the game instead of the traditional American peanuts. But the funny difference was the Japanese fans would never think of throwing the pods on the ground, but instead would dispose of the pods neatly in a plastic bag and throw them away later. But everything about public spaces in Tokyo is cleaner than here in the States, so why should a baseball stadium be any different? Anyway, thanks for bringing back the memories.

thefitworldtraveler likes this.
  4. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My first game was also in the Tokyo Dome. Opening weekend a couple of year ago and it was fantastic, Cheering sections like a rugby game. Beer delivered via portable kegs on a pretty girl's back. The worst hot dog I have ever eaten. The cleanest stadium after a game. No garbage anywhere. And it ended in a tie. Extra innings but still just stopped - a tie in baseball...

Cheers -