Base/Qualifying miles without flying?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by chef4u, Jun 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find myself at 24, 864 miles with no flights in the immediate future. Any ideas how to get the missing 136 without a mini MR?

AA_EXP09 likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA issues EQM for butt in seat (BIS) miles only for the most part. The frequently offered double EQM promos obvioulsy offer additional EQM, but that still requires one to get on a plane.

AA does offer an unofficial exception to those who are close to elite status but do not cross the threshold: LINK. This only helps if you are thinking you will not get the extra 136 miles prior to Dec 31 though and should be noted that it is unofficial so can disappear without notice at any time. If you just want a way to cross the GLD threshold without flying so that you have status for your trips booked in, say, September, that's not feasible.

rwoman and AA_EXP09 like this.
  3. chef4u
    Original Member

chef4u Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully I won't need to ask for the unofficial exception, but it's nice to know that it is there, at least in theory. :confused:

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Contingency plan. ;)

AA_EXP09 likes this.
  5. AA_EXP09

AA_EXP09 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a credit card in the US that gives EQM, right?

6. John777

John777 Silver Member

Status Points:
    DestinationDavid likes this.
  7. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Citi W/E card, along with a big annual free, also gives you Admiral's club membership.

8. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Forgot about this card, good call on correcting me! It's still a pretty awful offering when viewed against other potential CCs, which is why I don't have it as I mentioned in the deleted post. Not to mention an awful option just to get 136 EQM for not flying.

John777 likes this.
  9. Photonerd71

Status Points:

It's not too bad if you got it early enough so the miles count towards the million for the rest of the year. Plus if you figure in the AC membership the annual fee is close to the other AA citi card.

Its an easy way to get quasi elite status. About the only benefit golds have over me (with this card) is the bonus rdms. It's not for everybody, but someone like me who only flies 25-30k miles per year (and splits my flying between AA and UA (i live in Houston)) i don't have to worry about chasing status, just price. (And yes i have the chase Pres plat card also)

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well you can say that for just about ANY credit card to be honest. Ever card has a "niche". At the end of the day though, it's not really competitive with SPG Amex, Chase Sapphire, etc. The sign on bonus isn't that great, and even against other benefits cards with lounge access/priority access you can get the same or better from other AMEX or other airline cards do it better. The quasi-GLD status is okay, but the bonus RDM and the seat selection are the best parts and aren't offered. Priority boarding is nice if you tend to carry on only. It's still pretty "meh" IMHO.

11. Photonerd71

Status Points:
    That's why there are seemingly hundreds of different cards, no two people value the same things the same way.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, as I said above, everything has a niche. But as with most things some contenders fit more peoples needs, and this AA card isn't really a big player IMHO. But then again. CCs are really something I barely pay attention too when it comes to travel activity. :)

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As you say, niche. I'm putting $40K on this year to get enough EQMs to keep EXP and 1K without having to MR. Since I highly doubt I keep 1K next year I'll probably direct the $40K in spend somewhere I perceive higher value.

But it does fill a hole for me this year.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That 40K can do a lot for you on another card. 2013 will be a good year in the Pizza household. ;)

15. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    That's true, but for this year it's giving me more time with my daughter. ;)

DestinationDavid likes this.