BA's Dilbertian definition of an "uncontrollable event" and its dismal effects

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by redtailshark, Aug 7, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    "In addition to this, you may have also noticed an increase in queue volume when checking in at the airport. Over the past six months we’ve rolled out a new check-in system to benefit both our staff and customers by decreasing the overall time it takes to check in. The roll out has been a phased approach with our outstations using the new system first, with minimal disruption. Unfortunately when we’ve introduced it to our busier airports, we’ve encountered some problems. This has meant we’ve needed to reboot it several times.....

"All of these uncontrollable events have happened in a very short space of time which has meant our Customer Relations teams have experienced unprecedented levels of correspondence." [Emphasis added by Shark]

Source: BA response to recent CS complaint, here:
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...mer-relations-they-need-kick-up-backside.html

I find this very interesting because the litany of operational shortcomings is long and frustrating, but more incredibly, they actually admit to it. I suppose this is the glasnost of which I spoke years ago, although the associated corporate perestroika appears to be negative.

I agree with the need to complain. I thought that the general level of DILBERTISM had reduced and in fact, I've even been flying BA more regularly, mostly intra-EU. This has involved numerous transits of and checkins at the horrible lair at LHR T5 over the past few months.

I've encountered a litany of problems, like long check-in lines a.k.a. "increase in queue volume" above. Twice standing in the T5 CW check-in line for over an hour - the second time I approached the line-guardian and told him of my departure and that I'd miss cutoff in spite of being in line WELL AHEAD of published time requirements.... he pooh-poohed this until about 15 mins before cutoff and finally moved me in front, requiring an override because I was irroped and clearly on an incorrectly reissued ticket (unable to check in at kiosk).... a fact I had explained to him when I lined up....

Other problems include abject failure to recognize 1W Sapph credentials and denial of eligible access to the Dilbertian hearth lounges/preboard.

The new system is the worst. Nigels, Nigellas, how exactly is its deployment an "uncontrollable event?!!" When it causes repeated, unpredictable and significant operational delays - as it has done, numerous times of late - it makes me wonder...if I delivered a "solution" that destroyed corporate product reliability as comprehensively as this has done, then I wouldn't have a job now and I wouldn't expect to find another in that sector again.

But classic Dilbertism allows this idiocy to flourish. There can be no other explanation for this situation persisting. Which BA admit above, it has!

I haven't even contributed to the "unprecedented levels of correspondence" on these matters because there's no point. The BA entity's CS has degenerated to a 2008-style nadir after a false dawn.

I know many BA front-line staff don't like this either but management stupidity is rampant again and they can't do anything about the ridiculous tech-fetish system "upgrades".

Three small things - I haven't been seat-shifted on any of these itins - yet - and the on-board service has actually been reasonable, with semiapologetic crews who know their airline is being run into the ground by the management idiocy. And they actually admit they are screwing things up, at least to that one customer who complained and posted the response.

But that doesn't outweigh product degradation of this magnitude. Do BA management have any idea how dissatisfied are the tens of thousands of customers who must use T5 each day? They should listen to the comments I've heard in these long lines...mine here are very polite in comparison.

Unfortunately I will be back at the LHR lair tomorrow. At least I'm connecting and not checking in, and I'm on an IB J ticket so I don't need to depend on the BA system recognizing 1W status. But no doubt BA will find other ways to confound me.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least your not on DLayed.:D

redtailshark likes this.
  3. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Muahaha! I fly no revenue sectors on DL at least. I suppose that enduring BA operational shortcomings for the somewhat-useful Avios - if nothing else - still beats DL SM. Just.

The very idea of using DL..hmmm... Now, that would be... you well know what it would be... but perchance, if you don't, I would be very happy to remind you and all others reading this...

4. redtailshark

Status Points:
    I'm at MAD at this moment in an IB lounge. No problems for IB dragons' system recognizing 1W Sapph status, it's printed on the BPs. Next up, LHR and the Dilbertian lair...

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. liongate

liongate New Member

Status Points:
    Just cross your fingers they're not using the same programmers for the flight systems...

redtailshark likes this.
  6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Welll...ll... so I'm in the T5 lair, my IB BP worked as advertised to admit me with 1W status... BA appear to be on time, so far anyway.

Meantime, I see it's D-heLl who are experiencing system massive outage and total fleet ground stop earlier today. I wonder what it's like across the way at irop-nightmare T3 and T4 this evening...

Without doubt, that's * mejor en su clase *..