BA's 767 Refurb and Rumours of a Possible LGW SubFleet

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by oscietra, Feb 13, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's great to hear that 14 of the 21 767's operated by BA will be receiving a longhaul interior refit.

Details on exactly which if the airframes will be refitted is sketchy, but it does seem that by 2013 the shorthaul "disco" fleet will be going the way of all flesh (and not before time).

What is less clear is what will be done with these 767s.

There are rumours that some may head to Gatwick, where a subfleet could be used to operate to Caribbean destinations (Nassau, Grand Cayman and Turks & Caicos Islands already have 767 services from LHR) as well as opening up new routes such as Fort Lauderdale and Havana.

I suppose the 767 is a useful stopgap before the delivery of the 787 for such long and thin routes, but it would seem sensible for BA to add winglets to its fleet if it intends keeping them for such work over an extended period.

Any other route rumours for Gatwick?

Genius1, Phobia, G-BOAC and 3 others like this.
  2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    I understand there are some question marks about whether the installation of winglets on AA's 767s has contributed to the cracking problem discovered there. So BA might want to see that query resolved first.

3. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    The problem with adding 767s to LGW is, I understand, crewing issues. A crew member can hold 3 type licences. At LGW it is the 777, 737 and the A320 family. Bringing the 767s down would mean, either dropping a type (probably A320, but that would hinder the transition planned from the 737s to A319s) or having crew with different type licences which makes rostering a nightmare. Mixed fleet might provide some options, I suppose, but I really can't see the 767s at LGW.

David, Phobia and Globaliser like this.
  4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    quality of the 767s has diverted business from BA on routes that I would have flown that would have had said 767s. i still continue to shift that business away and will do so until they fix the problems.

5. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    for LH routes I actually really like the 767 CW cabin.

6. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it is not that i dislike the same, it is that there are other options that i prefer more.

7. Disco Volante
    Original Member

Disco Volante Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I really like CW in the 767. I had my first ever WT+ flight recently, on a 767, and thought that was pretty good too. For a daytime flight, I would be pretty happy in WT+ on a 767.

Globaliser and The Saint like this.
  8. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    so what is the refurb? I thought I saw somewhere NGCW to match the rest of the fleet, the new 77W W and Y seats as well as avod system, and an increase in W to 30. If correct, this will certainly make the 767 the best product in the fleet for W and Y! ( I'll always prefer the upper deck to a 767 even though J will be quite good as well)

9. CT-UK
    Original Member

CT-UK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Reports are now coming in from inside BA from a man that spoke to a man that NGCW hasn't been approved for a 767 but the seats used on the LCY 318s have been and they will be fitted.

This may be true but I find it odd that they would go throught the pain to get these seats approved and not NGCW and that there will be a different product type.

Globaliser likes this.
  10. oscietra
    Original Member

oscietra Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. I don't know why they don't just refresh the seats as they did with Open Skies. Oh, actually maybe we're on to something there....

11. studio76
    Original Member

studio76 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On a 767 those will be quite narrow. The ying/yang of the current CW seat allows them to keep a bit of width at the shoulders. Gong from 7 abreast to 6 will not yield the same result as going from 6 abreast to 4...

12. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    I often wondered my NAS and the onward hops operated from LHR - is it because they can only 'justify' as 767, or is it because of business (banking) traffic, or greater transfer traffic than the more southerly Caribbean destinations?

13. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Althought I can't believe for a second they would install them here (they have enough different offerings for the customer already), the actual approval status described does *sound* credible to me as a layman.
    - The seats BA have on the 318 for LCY are essentially off-the-shelf arn't they?

14. ag51
    Original Member

ag51 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IFE might be a problem with the 318 seats - they use a portable video player, so you might end up with a worse offering (smaller screens, less choice) than in WT or WT+

Globaliser likes this.
  15. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it has much more to do with the runway lengths at GCM and PLS.

Globaliser likes this.