BART to airport connector is on track

Discussion in 'SFO/OAK/SMF/SJC | San Francisco Area Airports' started by sobore, Jan 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-to-airport-connector-is-on-track-4156219.php

The long line of asymmetrical concrete columns in the median of Hegenberger Road, some topped with a half-mile of white steel trestle, are a sure reminder that there will soon be a new way to get to the Oakland International Airport.

After years of hoping, planning and fighting, BART's long-awaited and controversial Oakland Airport Connector is taking shape. Construction crews have been working on the 3.2-mile link between the Coliseum/Oakland Airport BART Station and the airport since late 2010. It will replace AirBART, a shuttle bus operated by the Port of Oakland.

"We're making a lot of progress," said Luna Salaver, a BART spokeswoman. "By this time in 2014, people will be able to take the connector to Oakland airport."

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/BART-to-airport-connector-is-on-track-4156219.php

desamo, mrredskin and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's important IMHO to have such options.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    They should have planned for airport transportation when BART was first designed. SFO rejected it but OAK didn't and BART was going through their county anyway.

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When BART started up 40 years ago, I don't think anyone predicted the enormous growth and huge Southwest hub that you see at OAK today. They've run off both AA and UA. Very different situation today.

uggboy likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When BART started, OAK was a substantial secondary airport with lots of mainline service, including some wide body non stops from SFO. PSA had a big presence. IIRC there was also helicopter service, or was that between SFO and Emeryville. East Bay denizens have always preferred to use OAK rather than SFO if they can find a flight schedule that works for them.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's a nice graph from

http://www.flyoakland.com/airport_stats_yearend_stats.shtml

1970-1980 was pretty stagnant.

[​IMG]

tom911 and sobore like this.
  7. Tad's Broiled Steaks

Tad's Broiled Steaks Silver Member

Status Points:
    How's B6 doing at OAK?

Also, I remember when Oasis HK Airlines wanted to start service to OAK (would've been neat to have that chop in my passport)...but does Oakland?

8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no idea. I have never flown B6 and I haven't been to OAK in probably six or seven. Too inconvenient when you live in easy reach of SFO.