BART Talks Done For Rest Of Week As Deadline Looms Closer

Discussion in 'SFO/OAK/SMF/SJC | San Francisco Area Airports' started by tom911, Sep 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...ne-for-rest-of-week-as-deadline-looms-closer/

sobore likes this.
  2. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much is Thomas Hock being paid? A small fortune, for not working very hard. He's nothing more than a union buster, as his professional history has shown. I do find it odd that BART chose such a divisive figure to head its team. All that said, there isn't a lot of sympathy (with me, and in general) with the BART workers in this dispute. One of the most offensive things going on is how much public (BART) money is going to a private "negotiator" who certainly isn't working very hard for his money.

Unfortunately, the public suffers, and almost all signs point to another shutdown.

3. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Gosh.. Did not know.. I traveled from SFO to the Embarcadro via BART R/T last week. $8.25 O/W.. It was fast and seemed to work just fine. (even thougth the fare I thought was a little steep.. ) Where is the ridership on this, and why the labor concerns in your opinion.. Thanks and Safe Travels

4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the majority of riders are with the unions this time around. These are well-compensated employees that have family medical that only costs them $97 out of pocket max and they have BART pick up the employee share of their pensions. BART says those benefit costs have increased 60% over the last 10 years and I don't think the employees fully grasp what their total package costs the District.

.Until this week the unions wanted a 21% raise over 3 years. If you look at the current offer they're down to 13.5% over 3 years plus additional contributions to pension/health, but that's a long way away from BART's offer of 10% over 4 years, an increase from their original offer of 0% which was increased to 8% over 4 years when serious negotiations started. They're over $100 million apart and BART says that 10% is their final offer. I fully expect a strike.

BART fares from SFO are higher than other routes because they ding you with a $4 airport surcharge. You don't pay that anywhere else. I pay just over $10 one way from out here to SFO.

5. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just saw on the channel 2 news that BART is training managers on Mare Island and that they've trucked two train cars up there. Apparently the union contract forbids training managers with trains on electrified rails, so BART has found a loophole and taken the cars off the tracks for the start of management training. This should get some pretty vocal union reaction tomorrow.

6. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, because technically there currently isn't a union contract, or does it remain "technically in effect although expired" during this period.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think both sides just agree to abide by the expired contract until a new one is in place. BART was great for "side letters" when I was there so they probably have a side letter saying both sides will continue to abide by the expired contract.