BART Strike in San Francisco

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by mgrepo, Jul 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mgrepo

mgrepo Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are headed to San Francisco, be aware that the BART system employees are on strike. There will not be trains running from the airports in San Francisco and Oakland.

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    You beat me to it:) For those who are staying in SF there are a variety of shuttles (super shuttle, etc) that will drop you off at your hotel (probably around $20), probably cheaper if you're traveling alone than taking a taxi.

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    boondr likes this.
  4. SuperKirby

SuperKirby Gold Member

Status Points:
  5. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never take BART anymore into SF. SAMTrans is cheaper and faster than BART and is waaaay less sketchy. Just make sure you catch a KX...not a 292, which is completely sketchy.

6. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Be aware that the BART, system employees are on strike. SAMTrans is cheaper and faster than BART and is way less sketchy. Your backup option at the airport would be SAMTrans bus into San Francisco or shuttle over to Caltrain at the Millbrae station. I've taken the SAMTrans bus before when BART wasn't running and it worked fine.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there still a shuttle to Milbrae's CalTrain station? I thought that went away when BART to the airport started. Would make sense if they set up a bus bridge during the strike.

The KX bus has luggage restrictions tween SFO to San Francisco, as far as I recall. And runs only once an hour, unfortunately.

Bring exact change (coins, small bills) to ride the bus. They do take clipper cards, too.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've seen several news reports that there is currently a special shuttle running. Here's one:

http://southsanfrancisco.patch.com/groups/business-news/p/bart-strike-free-airport-shuttles-running

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Tom. I checked the Caltrain website, expecting to find something like that on their homepage... Or perhaps as part of their announced plans...

http://www.caltrain.com/about/news/SamTrans_and_Caltrain_Service_in_the_Event_of_a_BART_Strike.html

Didn't see it. But yes, it of course makes sense.

10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
  11. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BART trains will be running again starting at 3pm Friday, July 5. Labor negotiations will continue.