Bare feet in First and Business

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Canadi>n, Jul 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    NB to reader, this is an Andy Rooney rant, so read with appropriate caution while one's tongue is in one's cheek:

Is it just me and how I was raised, but the very idea of walking around in a public space like an airport or on an airplane in bare feet is a completely alien concept to me, both on social civility and hygene grounds? Yet today, at LAX I noticed one woman walking down to the gate area in bare feet. Then in our F cabin, this same woman was brought up into the empty F bulkhead seat and after take off anchored her bare feet up against the wall for the whole 40-minutes to SFO!

On my TK flight from IST-LAX yesterday I noticed several passengers had removed their shoes and socks and were bare footed, the only saving grace being they did use the slippers we were given for the flight. Still, it is not the most appealing sight to have a pair of exposed feet -- smelly or not -- in plain site on an airplane, and in particular in a premium class cabin!

savydog and janyyc like this.
  2. miloki
    Original Member

miloki Silver Member

Status Points:
    So bare feet are not even acceptable when wearing the slippers? Using this logic I'm going to assume you also don't find sandals acceptable. No exposed toes in any way? Did you have a traumatic toe incident when you were a small child?

3. Pat89339
    Original Member

Pat89339 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only time it bothered me was when the guy next to me put his foot on the edge of his seat and picked the dead skin off his toes--flicking the pieces he removed to the floor. He stopped to eat lunch (without washing his hands) and then continued when lunch was over.

merice107, anabolism, savydog and 3 others like this.
  4. akide
    Original Member

akide Silver Member

Status Points:
    yum lol

savydog likes this.
  5. Elusive

Elusive Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know some people's feet swell during flying so maybe that why people do it? I don't know what it is, but one of my favorite moments in international premium cabins is the feel of the socks they give in the kits.

This only bothers me when someone behind me manages to stick/prop their feet in between the seats in front of them (ie my row). I look back and see the back of their heels a few inches from my adult beverage.

Travelman and savydog like this.
  6. RedTape
    Original Member

RedTape Silver Member

Status Points:
    they always get their comeuppance when they pop into the loo (sans shoes, socks and complimentary slippers) and step in something wet! :eek:

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even when I travel in flip flops or sandals, I carry socks to put on through security and once I'm on the plane.

Regardless of the class of service, I think that people should be mindful of where they put their feet...especially when bare!! On my DXB-BHX flight last week there was a guy across the aisle who put his bare feet up on on the arm rests in front of him...not cool...I did not need to see his snaggletooth looking toenails! I had another bare foot encounter last month LAX-ATL...ick!

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:

Travelman, Freddie Listo and Chimpy like this.
  9. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    :D There is justice.....

10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I take off my shoes, however I have clean socks on and I have travel slippers that I wear. They are kept in a plastic bag and are washed after travel has been completed. I once sat next to a guy in first that was wearing flip flops, no socks, a sleveless undershirt and shorts, he looked disgusting.

11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you have nice feet -- and I mean "holy crap look at those feet!" -- then it's probably acceptable to be in sandals, or maybe even barefoot "within your space"

Showcasing your ugly feet is just not socially acceptable IMO. :)

12. wanderwoman
    Original Member

wanderwoman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had to weigh in on this one. OK so you have high-heeled sandals on, you take them off and put the slippers on; I fail to see the problem here. That is what the slippers are for, to cover up your bare feet. I agree it is tacky (unsanitary and potentially dangerous) to walk around in bare feet on a plane and certainly in an airport but people are not always going to wear socks, have socks, or care about wearing socks when wearing slippers. If you're wearing slippers you are not bare foot and that is perfectly acceptable.

savydog likes this.
  13. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Slippers/socks fine - bare feet not fine. :)
    Keen sandals are great for covering your toes while wearing sandals... ;)

savydog and druiddation like this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well like I said... it depends. If you have nice feet -- and people know when they have nice feet -- there's nothing wrong with open-toed sandals, high heeled sandals, whatever. If you have some monkey toe business going on down there, then feel free to keep it to yourself. :)

But regardless, I can't fathom why anybody would want to go barefoot in a public space... it just doesn't seem like a good idea unless you're certain that it's sanitary and/or safe.

savydog, rwoman and Chimpy like this.
  15. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    So my freshly pedicured toes, currently attired in "Teenage Dream" sparkle polish would be acceptable in open-toed sandals whilst flying?

savydog likes this.
  16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We'd need pictures to determine that. :)

savydog likes this.
  17. oneeyejack

oneeyejack Gold Member

Status Points:
    foot fetish?

savydog likes this.
  18. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Research.

savydog and rwoman like this.
  19. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sure it is :p

savydog likes this.
  20. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always wear shoes when going out of my seat.. When not doing so, I'll put it off and still wear my socks.. The deal with int'l flight is I sometimes have to spray perfume to it so it won't stink as bad (or I'll just change it when I felt it stinks).. :D

savydog likes this.
  21. Analise
    Original Member

Analise Silver Member

Status Points:
    The OP complained about people with no shoes on. The OP didn't write about those sporting sandals.

22. LAXNRT
    Original Member

LAXNRT Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just flew LHR-NRT in upper class on VS and a couple seats next to me a gentleman took his shoes and socks off to display one of the worst cases of nail fungus and callused feet I've ever seen. Made me lose my appetite...

23. AmericanGirl
    Original Member

AmericanGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is exactly what I do as well. I could not imagine putting bare feet anywhere on an airplane!

24. Audy_KTUH

Audy_KTUH Silver Member

Status Points:
    First of all, I must say I find it funny that there's a banner on this thread for the Vibram barefoot shoes, talk about subtle advertising.
    I grew up not really wearing anything on my feet so I've never really been offended by the exposed foot or toe. That being said, I don't think its okay to assume that no one will be offended by your feet. Especially if your feet are smelly and/or have other issues. I do agree that one should be comfortable on a flight, but having no shoes is both a safety and a respect for your fellow traveler issue. Don't you know that you could be forced to quickly evacuate the plane? If I die from smoke inhalation because some idiot without shoes burns their feet and clogs the exit you can bet I'll be comin back to haunt somebody. Don't people also know that the air on the plane is recycled? Lets not add more stank to the stank in the cabin.
    Finally, don't ever put your feet in someone else's space. If your smelly socked or unsocked feet invade my area you should have to pay me a portion of my fare as you are intruding on space that I invested in. Or at least let me recline my seat into your forehead for the duration of the flight.

savydog likes this.
  25. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems there's lots of foot threads at the moment.

I'm a sandal guy. In my seat, on long hauls, I take off my sandals. If i get up for any reason my sandals go back on my feet.

They don't smell (the sandals or the feet) and I never put them up on the seat or armrest or the bulkhead. So, with this in mind, nobody should even bother looking at my feet.

anabolism and savydog like this.