Barclays US Premier World MC retention fail

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by boxedlunch, Feb 21, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. boxedlunch
    Original Member

boxedlunch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got a form letter from Barclays about renewing my US MasterCard and decided to call in & see what could be done. Was hoping to keep a $13k credit line without having to pay any fees. The CS agent I spoke to (seemed foreign) informed me that they could not offer any account credits to offset the fee nor could they downgrade the account to another Barclays no-fee card. Disappointed.

Anyone else have a different experience?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you offer to not take the 10K renewal miles? I wonder if that would change things, or if it's even possible.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. bbbb
    Original Member

bbbb Silver Member

Status Points:
    They don't care and will not do anything to keep your business.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing just happened to me. Called (asked where I was calling, Manila Philippines) and asked for their retention department, and they said my account is not eligible to speak to that department but the "relationship agent" would be more than happy to cancel the card for me...I asked her that she would rather cancel the card than keep me as a customer, and she just kept repeating the same thing "I would be more than happy to cancel your card right now." That call just left a bad taste in my mouth...

Kalboz likes this.
  5. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Try this number 1-866-408-4064, they maybe able to direct you to the right place. This is Barclay's reconsideration line and most of the people are very helpful, and U.S. based.

Best,

PedroNY

Kalboz likes this.
  6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Experiences mentioned here would irritate me, too, but they certainly don't represent my experience with Barclay's. I have 3 accounts with them, including the DM card. While I haven't had it long enough to have that renewal discussion yet, every time I have needed customer service, they have really shined for me. Never detected an accent on any reps, either. (Not that I mind that. I do, after all, run my company from Costa Rica. :D )

Kalboz and miles and smiles like this.
  7. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just got that same letter saying my account will be charged $89 for the next year. If I want to avoid the fee I can call 1-866-419-0881 to close my account. Also, "if your account is enrolled in a rewards program, any outstanding reward points or miles on your account may be forfeited at the time the account is closed." I hope they don't mean the Dividend Miles that I got as a bonus though I've used some of them already.

Kalboz likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    They mean miles that haven't posted yet from Barclay's to US Dividend Miles.

Kalboz and dildooba44 like this.
  9. dildooba44

dildooba44 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll call and see if they want to retain me but from reading the comments above I'm not expecting much. I thought they gave 10K as a benefit but the letter says that's if you spend $25K (and, they do count toward "preferred status"). They also offer an annual companion certificate for up to two $99 companion tickets, redeem award travel for 5000 less miles, First Class check-in, Zone 2 Boarding, and one US Club pass. The companion certificate would be worth it but I imagine there are lots of restrictions.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get 10K as an annual benefit if you applied via this link:
    http://www.mostmiles.com/Chairmans
    see thread here:
    http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/anniversary-bonus-for-usairways-mc.50012/#post-1765697

Kalboz and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Called the customer service number on back of the card when the $89 annual fee showed up on the monthly statement. Fee was waived immediately for this US Airways MasterCard, but no miles offered!