Barclays US Airways Dividend Miles CC - Data Point

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Slow_Mustang, Jul 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just to provide a data point for those applying for this card,

I have had their personal card for about 6 months, applied for the Biz card and got rejected. When I called the Analyst, I was told that the reason for denial was that I previously have had Barclays US Airways cards which were cancelled. My polite pleading about my excellent credit score, never a late payment, or the fact that the previous cards were cancelled as Barclays chose to give me only $2K credit line which meant a lower miles sign up bonus too, did not make the agent change his mind. Sensing that his mind was made up, as he kept coming back to the previously closed accounts, I ended the conversation with the acceptance of his decision. So, even though I never had a US Airways Biz card before, the closure of previously held personal cards was not looked at too kindly for the new card application. Something to keep in mind, if you are thinking about filling out an application. A meaningless hard pull for the rejected CC hurts for future applications.

Update: The snail mail rejection letter gave the reason as 'adequate credit already exists', which was a reference to my open personal card.

misterbwong and travelinmike33 like this.
  2. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if they're cracking down on churners....

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  3. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My read is that they are refusing a second card (no biz card if you have a personal one with sufficient credit limit). Churning at the regular periodic rate is still a go.

misterbwong likes this.
  4. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm. Interesting. Did they even give you the option to trade some credit onto the new Biz card?

5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unlike Chase, they did not. Their CS people seem to have been trained in a very British way - a firm no to a new card and that will be all.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope you accepted their verdict with a stiff upper lip.

7. RPG

RPG Active Member

Status Points:
    I had this card for about 4 months and closed it. I closed the card because my CL was reduced as I opened new credit with other bank. With the reduced CL I would not be able to buy one international round trip ticket. Will never do business with Barclay's again.

8. wanymayold

wanymayold Active Member

Status Points:
    That sounds scary. I plan to apply for the personal one in coming August. Now, I somehow have my mind changed. Thanks for the heads up.

9. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure there is much in this thread that should change your mind, especially if you are a first time applicant. This card is nice because it is not a Chase/Amex and can be added to a group of applications rather easily. I've had no trouble with them and even got an offer for an extra 15k miles for spending 1250 a month for 3 months on top of the original sign up bonus.

I had heard this card was churnable, even keeping your original card open. I am testing it out right now...my application is processing...didn't try for a business version.

10. traveler
    Original Member

traveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    So how were your results?

11. artvndlay

artvndlay Active Member

Status Points:
    Denied. Recon denied too. However, I think it is possible to have two of these cards as I was not shot down until they noticed the newest lines of credit.

Shot down pretty firmly by reconsideration a couple times. They were not happy with the 6 new lines opened in January and it was all over once they saw the 5 new lines from the current round (all applied for on the same day as this card, so they must have updated their pull somehow on the recon call to see the new lines). Several questions about those lines, income, need for extra credit. In the end it was suggested that I keep using the card and could try again if I do not open more lines...so it sounds possible, just not for me. 760-770s, 0-1% util.

I think I made a mistake waiting to get the letter to call. Had I called right after getting the online message saying it could take up to 10 days to process the app, the most recent accounts would not have been on the report.

12. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure that if you had called right away you'd have any more luck. I think I did something similar to you. Applied for 4-5 cards on one day, Barclays last (mistake 1). Also applied for the US Air and NFL card at the same time (mistake 2?). Got approved for a very low CL on US Air and possibly NO sign on bonus, and rejected for NFL. Called recon right away and was told they could see all my other apps from that day, which they could only see if they pulled all 3 bureaus.

Currently results appear to be 1 approval with no bonus, 1 rejection, and 3-4 pulls (750s and <10% util). That's more than enough to keep me away from Barclays going forward.

Does anyone else have similar results, or any recommendation on how to salvage this mess?

artvndlay likes this.
  13. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays is a strange outfit. I am waiting on a decision and I too may get a denial. I applied for US Air business. I have a personal card with them. We have a pretty large business so their decision would make no sense. I think these days many on the boards have what they feel is a high credit score, but there is far more to the story than the score. In fact I think I can get more new credit than most even if their scores are slightly higher. And I may get less approvals, but the ones I can get will be for higher limits.
    I think factors that matter overall are seasoned credit (average card age), large lines (limits) on your cards, utilization. Naturally no lates. I think pulls are actually not the most damaging. If you churn every account you have, you wont have much in the way of average age. Utilization is so key. When you apply having little utilization will help you greatly. Barclays service if you ever need it can be poor. For me the worst is Chase and they are in a class by themselves.

14. jbeutel23

jbeutel23 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had the same scenario back in May. Called in and was lectured by a female CSR about applying for credit and that I should wait at least six months before applying again. I called back, spoke to a male CSR, he asked me about the other credit pulls and I explained a career change and change of spending patterns/separating expenses, and he approved me for a 5,000 line. Although he did have to transfer some credit, which I gladly accepted (reduce another line by 1,500).

15. rdaven

rdaven Active Member

Status Points:
    I was just denied for the card also. I applied for 8 cards and was denied for all but one. Called the recon and was approved for all until I got to the Barclays line. Called them and the CSR said that you can not have 2 US Airway cards at the same time. So despite all the churn talking on FT I guess it is hit and miss with mostly miss.

16. slickw

slickw Silver Member

Status Points:
    When were you last approved for the US Air card?

17. rdaven

rdaven Active Member

Status Points:
    I received it in May. All the posts I read stated it was churnable every 90 days. So when I applied 10/10 I though I thought I was good?

18. frank10b

frank10b Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays is very unpredictable, plus if they screw up you bonus like with the old 50K switched for 10K offer there is really nothing u can do. The whole cc biz is outsourced and the csr can only answer off from a tiny answer tree so many answers make just no sense.

19. MrAlexMoore

MrAlexMoore Silver Member

Status Points:
    And despite my worst fears, the US Air card came through AND so did the 40k pts. I'm not sure about how many pulls they had, but in the end, I got the bonus, and that's a lot better than nothing.

miles and smiles likes this.
  20. Carter29072

Carter29072 Active Member

Status Points:
    I applied for the 40K miles, no annual fee US air card about 2 weeks ago. I was denied so I called. I was told that I wasn't approved (despite perfect credit) because I had a Barclays card in the past. They were firm and would not approve me. I got a denial letter this week in the mail so I called again and hoped to get a nicer CSR on the phone. They told me that I had had 3 Barclay cards in the past and they would not give me another. Really? Give me another shot!

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  21. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You should have told him to keep the card and just give you the 40K bonus miles. ;)

Mikus33 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Three US DM cards with sign-up bonuses, or three random Barclays cards, not all of them with large sign-up bonuses?