Barclays Card App Policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by inception85, Jun 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. inception85

inception85 Active Member

Status Points:
    I know there are bunch of rules applying for Chase(1p+1b per day), Amex(mostly 1p + 1b per day), and Citi(1 card/day and 2 max within 60 days) card, but haven't really heard anything about Barclays' application rule.

Recently I am thinking about applying US Air and US Air Biz cards, since they may be gone soon and I need to fly US Air anyways from time to time. Does anyone know:

1. Do they allow me to apply to both on the same day? Any chance to combine inquiries?
    2. How hard is it to apply to Barclays Business card? I do have a small business that started in early 2012.
    3. My only Barclays card is Virgin America and it was approved 4 month ago, I have heard ppl getting horrible experiences with Barclays especially when they have not built a long time relationship with them, do you have similar experiences?

Any input is much appreciated!

MX likes this.
  2. robertw477

robertw477 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays is weird. For years I could only keep one of their cards they would refuse me for anything else. Earlier this yr I got the Priceline 2% card, US Airways and the new Arrival card. If you apply for US Air personal and business I would expect them to approve 1 one of those at most. I think you would get the personal card. Its good that they are around since I have covered the bases on many of the other majors.

LETTERBOY and MX like this.
  3. inception85

inception85 Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply! That's what I heard that they treat ppl really differently and there's no known rules on how they deal with those questions I raised. But did you try to move the CL when you tried for a second card? Even you did that they won't approve you?

4. infamousdx

infamousdx Silver Member

Status Points:
    Regarding your first question, I'll speak to my experience recently.

At the time of my apps, I only held a US Airways card with a $5k limit. I applied for both the Arrival and Miles & More card on the same day.
    Instant approval on the M&M with $10k limit.
    Pending for Arrival.
    Called recon line a week later (busy at work and the line is only open 8-5).
    Was asked the standard recon questions re: income.
    After a hold, rep came back and said they weren't comfortable extending me more credit, but would take $5k from M&M to open the Arrival.

5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with Barclays is the following. I had a Barnes and Noble card with a 10k limit that I never use in addition to a US Air card with a 40k limit. When I applied for the miles and more card I was initially turned down. I called the reconsideration line and they offered me the miles and more card if I canceled the Barnes and Noble. I did that and changed the credit limits on the US Air to 30k and got 20k on the Miles and More. They said that since I do not use the limit on the cards, they did not want to raise my limits at present, but if I started using the limits they would raise them.
    While I think that logic is absurd I was happy to at least get the Miles and More for the bonus miles.

6. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are strange for sure. I have tried several times to get additional cards with them and they won't budge. Citi and Chase are throwing themselves at me but Barclays not so much.
    Maybe they just don't understand "who we are" :)

I also know that BofA is sorta weird in that they ask if you have applied for one of their cards in the past 60 or 90 days.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have 3 Barclay's cards - US Air, Choice and Priceline. I've never had any problems with them other than having to wait two weeks for approval. With my most recent application last year, they called me to move some credit around so they could approve me for my third card (the Priceline). It's the first time I've heard of a credit card company taking that initiative. A year has now passed since then and they just increased the credit limit on my Priceline Visa (and kept the other credit limits steady) without my asking for an increase. They've been easy to deal with and generous with miles, points and cash back, so I am very happy with my relationship with Barclay's.

daninstl and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. schen75

schen75 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not much luck with me or my wife with them, they really scrutinize your credit report, both my wife and I have a few new accounts opened with citi, chase and boa, they wouldn't extend any credit like to us..she opened her us air card about 4 months ago and just applied for the arrival card and was denied.

Usual line, need to establish history and see usage in existing Barclays cards before they would extend additional credit

ready to give up on them, but they actually have some decent offers now.... What to do?

MX and Singapore Flyer like this.
  9. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    As an additional data point. I recently applied for two cards with Barclays, the NFL card and the US Airways card. I have zero history with Barclays and was instantly approved on the NFL card and was pending on the US Airways card. I decided against calling recon line to see what would happen. About 10-14 days later I was approved for the US Airways card.

MX likes this.
  10. Fishing4Deals

Fishing4Deals Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had the Arrival card since January. They offered me a large credit line even Amex has said I am maxed out on credit.

MX likes this.