Barclays Aviator AAdvantage Excellent for Overseas; Better for Now than Citi

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by Travel Warrior, Jul 21, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel Warrior

Travel Warrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I'm a longtime Citigold customer and was among the first to ever receive their credit card cobranded with American (for the first year, merchants couldn't figure out how I could have a MasterCard with American's logo on it!), I also opened and kept a Barclays US Air card. That card is now grandfathered with American, meaning as I understand it Barclays can't sign up new customers but can grandfather their existing customers to receive American miles and benefits. I'm heading to Europe later this week and the Barclays co-branded card is far better than Citi's, at least for now. Citi is finally issuing a card with a chip, which is widely used outside the U.S., but Citi's card still requires a signature. That increasingly is a problem at train stations, toll booths and other places outside the U.S. that require both a chip and a PIN. Also, Citi is still charging a foreign transaction fee. In comparison, my Barlcays card co-branded with American is both chip and PIN and has no foreign transaction fee.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I use my Chase Cards overseas, but I thought my AA Ex card did not charge Foreign transaction fees.

i use my SPG to gain AA miles, 1.25 on transfer. whenever possible.

The US Air Card, and AA cards collect dust unless they have a purchase bonus, sure going to miss Costco/AA

Good luck with that chip card when the machines are down, and want exact change before getting on the tram/train.

Have a good trip.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am also transitioning from the Citi AA cards to the Barclay US Air (now "Aviator") cards, and for much the same reason -- no foreign transaction fees. With the benefits of the Barclay Aviator card pretty much the same as the Citi AA card insofar as mileage earning, priority boarding (I'm already Lifetime Platinum with AA anyway), free luggage, redeemed points rebates, etc., the lack of an extra 3% charge is the decider.

Up until the end of last month, Barclay was also giving 1.5 AA miles per dollar, which sweetened the pot even more.

And I've had no problem with Barclay acceptance even without a Chip and Pin. I realize some machines overseas do require the Chip + PIN technology card, but for those few I have a European-issued card from my German bank.

Newscience and satman40 like this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    For people reading this that have the Barclay chip and pin, make sure you use it at a regular chip and signature vendor at least once before you try the chip and pin. You'll set up the pin on the website or by phone when you activate the card.

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    SPG just sent me a chip card, and gets 1.25 on the points with AA.

AA Ex 3X on many items till 8/30,

Have the Aviator Card also..

I just love Credit Cards...will tell the Aviator good by one day soon, unless they make a good offer..

Newscience and Counsellor like this.
  6. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned above, I'd tell Citi good-by before I canceled Aviator.

As to SPG, I think Starpoints are worth much more than 1.25 AA miles. I redeem them for Starwood hotel stays (either points or points+cash).

7. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi will stop charging a FTF on my AA Platinum card on Nov. 15.

daninstl, Counsellor and Newscience like this.
  8. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just got an e-mail saying something similar about my Citi AA VISA card. Maybe they're getting with the program now that they're competing with Barclay's.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my current trip to Europe I have used the card three times, and each time I was asked to sign, never to enter my pin.

daninstl and satman40 like this.
  10. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Watch for Amex to push the chip, NF

Watch for Citi AA to put Aviator on the ground,

Amex will be very aggressive next year,,,

daninstl likes this.
  11. bez7
    Original Member

bez7 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi must be feeling confident, just called in to get my annual statement credit to offset the annual fee but was told there are NO retention offers currently. Even a US based 'supervisor' wouldn't do anything for me. Buh-bye Citi. Who knows what Barclays will do but I'll watch until that annual fee comes due.

daninstl likes this.
  12. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll likely see that most of the time but it should now work at kiosk (train stations, etc. ) with a PIN (in theory according to Barclays).

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like it's time to cancel the Citi cards, stick with the grandfathered Barclays for 24 months and reapply for the Citi cards again :)

bez7 likes this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have expected it to be a full time chip and pin card.

daninstl likes this.
  15. kevindavis338

kevindavis338 Active Member

Status Points:
    Speaking of Barclays AA Card, how long will Barclay AA card be around?

16. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know Barclays Bank is getting criticism for being too unwieldy, but haven't heard anything about them planning to spin off their credit card business. I'd guess they'll be around for the indefinite future.

They seem to have better promotions, and seem more customer-friendly than Citi. Barclay's was the first AA-branded credit card to forego the foreign transaction fee, and essentially caused Citi to follow their lead (as noted up-thread). I suspect they'll compete well with Citi for AAdvantage members.