Barclay's Arrival+ Chip&PIN Cards

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by MX, May 21, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of weeks ago I inquired with a Barclay's phone rep about their planned chip upgrade and whether it could be used at Chip&PIN terminals. The rep responded affirmatively, and I requested the upgrade. The new cards finally arrived today. During the activation by phone, I was prompted to select a PIN. The recording explained that the same PIN should be used for either cash withdrawals at ATMs or purchases at Chip&PIN terminals.

Of course it's very good news that we now have a popular travel-oriented card with the C&P option. But I'm a bit concerned that the single PIN system could make purchases more susceptible to be miscategorized as cash advances. If anyone with an Arrival+ card plans a trip overseas in the near future, your feedback on how well they work would be appreciated.

Arrival.png

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    Counsellor likes this.
  2. sharris503

sharris503 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll be headed to Paris in 4 weeks and hope to have my C&P card soon. I'll let you know.

MX likes this.
  3. Mrlasssen

Mrlasssen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone been able to churn this card. The T & C says for new card apps. only.

MX likes this.
  4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I've heard of folks getting more than one, though not a ton.

MX likes this.
  5. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got a letter from Barclays stating that Arrival cards would automatically get upgraded to Plus in about a month (presumably for those who have not already requested the upgrade). I wonder if it might help to cancel the old accounts, and apply for the Plus version as new product?

6. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I read an article earlier today that it is a chip& signature card at cafe and hotel and it will spit out a receipt for you to sign, but in a train station it will ask for a pin. So it works there like it should. Just not a full time chip& pin. Sorry I do not have the article to post.

MX likes this.
  7. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just got back from Paris and used this card exclusively. But I was disappointed to discover that while the pin worked for buying metro tickets at the kiosk, I always had to sign for purchases at restaurants and museums.

MX likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just learned 2 peculiar features of Baclay's C&P system.
    1). I heard a recorded instruction from the bank stating that the PIN for purchases must first be activated overseas at a manned location (e.g. hotel or store with cashiers). After such activation, the PIN can be used at any unattended locations.
    2). When using the card in USA at terminals having both the stripe and chip readers, the card will only work when inserted into the chip reader. I learned this in a Walmart (of all places), which had very inconspicuous chip readers at the bottom of their self-serve checkout terminals. The magnetic stripe will work fine at the stripe-only terminals.

9. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit odd maybe, but not unique to this card.

When I first used an AFCU Globetrek VISA in Germany a couple years ago, the CSR at a train station tried inserting the chip, then swiping, but nothing worked. She asked whether the card was new, and I told her that I had used it through a billing cycle in the US, but this would be the first international transaction. She seemed to be familiar with the situation, swiped it a couple more times and it went through OK, but that card did not require a PIN at attended locations.

Now that many (maybe most) Walmarts have EMV enabled, any chipped card whether signature or PIN will have to be inserted in the chip slot to complete the transaction. But my experience so far is that some EMV cards may need to be swiped first, otherwise you'll get an error. I've done maybe 6-8 transactions with 3 different EMV cards and the results are anything but consistent. Could be the terminals, the software or me. Be patient and be persistent. Walmart staff are becoming familiar with EMV cards, but they're learning the system's quirks too, so don't expect much guidance.

MX likes this.
  10. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm seeing mixed results in the USA on chip transactions. Most Walmarts have the terminals installed and use (require you to use) the chip feature. Sometimes it seems to required a signature and other times not. Lowe's, Home Depot, Target and others are installing them rapidly but don't seem to have the chip feature turned on yet. The only down side I've seen is that it seems to take Walmart longer to process the chip transactions when you are standing there. You also have to leave the card inserted for a long period of time which could make you leave the card behind by accident.

MX likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    During my first time doing this at WM, I removed the card before the receipt was printed. The system then canceled the transaction, and I had to restart the long process from the beginning. It took about at long as in the old days, when cashiers had to get cc approvals over the phone.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
    daninstl likes this.