Barclaycard ripoff

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by gerrylh, May 20, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. gerrylh

gerrylh New Member

Status Points:
    Barclaycard Rewards Ripoff
    BarclayCards recently cut the value of Airline rewards in 1/2....Here is a letter I wrote their CEO about it - Please share!!!
    Mr. Curt Hess
    Chief Executive Officer
    Barclaycards
    125 S. West St.
    Wilmington, DE 19801-5014
    Re: Barclay’s Travelocity AMEX Account
    Dear Mr. Hess,
    Congratulations on your new position! I am especially pleased to see that someone with a “passionate commitment to customers” and “a strong desire to leave the business in a much better place for our customers and colleagues than when (you) first joined” has taken the helm at Barclaycards. I look forward to experiencing your passion on behalf of a longtime customer with three accounts at your institution.
    Now imagine that I unilaterally decided to pay Barclaycards the sum of 10,000 pre-1993 Polish Zlotys in lieu of the approximately $10,000 dollars I owe Barclaycards on my three accounts. Now I am not sure if these Zlotys are worth $2.60, or $26.00 – the currency over there has changed since I visited in the communist days. I do however know the Polish National Bank will convert them, and I do know there are $10,000 units of them – the same number of units I owe Barclaycards. (I enclosed the 10,000 Zloty note as an article of good faith.)
    I believe this is a fair as it is exactly what just happened to me as a Barclaycard Travelocity American Express Customer. Last month I charged a transaction on my Travelocity American Express to Spirit Airlines. Right before that transaction, I checked my Travelocity mileage balance that was 20,000 miles that translated into a $400.00 credit. The only reason I made this purchase was because the information provided on the Barclays Travelocity credit card website indicated I would basically be able to redeem my miles for the cost of the airfare.
    A couple weeks later I go to transfer the miles for a credit - the Travelocity American Express account has morphed into a Master Card account called ARRIVAL. On that account the same 20,000 miles are only worth 1/2 the value, or $200.00.
    I tried to resolve this with your customer service reps, but after spending thirty minutes on the telephone, and being abruptly disconnected, then redialing for many additional minutes, I received no resolution - just frustration. Then I emailed Barclaycard, and another representative promptly telephoned me. The representative said that Barclaycard notified Travelocity cardholders of the pending mileage devaluation. Now I don’t recall receiving said notice, and the same notice was not on the Travelocity website when I checked the same day I made the Spirit Airline purchase. Perhaps you should have sent these notices certified mail so you could ensure customers were aware of the forthcoming devaluation.
    But even if I received this notice, do you really believe it is fair, equitable, and responsible to tell your accounts payable holders you unilaterally decided to give them a substantial haircut? If so, then please accept the enclosed Zlotys as full payment on my three accounts. If not, please credit my ARRIVAL account for the full $400 I am entitled.
    ENCL: DZIESIEC TYSIECY ZLOTYCH

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So the rules Changed, and now you want a 50% discount.

Every time I look at a bar of candy I wonder why they are not still 3 cents.

Same old Snicker Candy Bar...

I would write a letter, but they would probably laugh, and throw it in the trash.

Zomby Woof likes this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Points don't get better with age. Earn 'em and redeem 'em.

satman40, KyRoamer and ACMM like this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have personally found Barclays to be an excellent credit card company. I have several accounts with them ( AA, Lufthansa, Wyndham) and they have treated me well. They often have bonus offers such as 15k extra AA miles that my wife and I just earned by using the cards. They have also invited us to private complimentary events that have been quite enjoyable.

satman40 likes this.
  5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barclay gave me AA, Lufthansa, and a few other cards over the years,

It seems like I have had some hard pulls, but the same can be said of Chase...

I love them all, and you are correct they do seem to give some bonus offers.
    no credit card company is a rip off, I apply only for the perks...

I am What many in the retail game would call a Cherry Picker...

marcwint55 likes this.