Barclaycard Arrival changes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by moongoddess, Jul 3, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    No discussion of the upcoming negative changes to the Barclaycard Arrival card yet?

Some of the changes I can understand, but not the decision to restrict the minimum charge for travel reimbursement to $100. It renders the card all but useless for many people. Cab fare, bus/train tickets, checked luggage fees... lots of legitimate travel charges won't qualify for the cash back feature any more. What was the bank thinking when they decided to do this?

Makes me glad I resisted the urge to sign up for this card last year.

satman40 likes this.
  2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where did you hear of those changes? The minimum reimbursement requirement does seem rather bizzarre to be presented without a credible reference.

satman40 likes this.
  3. othermike27

othermike27 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's quite right: "The minimum threshold to redeem points will be increasing for travel redemptions from 2,500 points ($25 charge) to 10,000 points ($100 charge)." is the change quoted by one blogger here:

http://mommypoints.boardingarea.com...s-to-the-barclaycard-arrival-products-coming/

It sounds like you can't claim a redemption until you accumulate at least $100 - which I assume could be made up of several smaller individual charges. Anyone know for sure? I look at this card from time to time, but I have never held it and don't know how it works.

satman40 likes this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't see the reasoning behind that comment. If you got the card last year than this year you would've been able to use those points against the charges. Just going forward you won't be able to. Also from what I read, grand fathered accounts won't have the changes implemented until the card anniversary or possible November (a few different bloggers reporting different things.)

Anyways I think the loss of the TripIt + 5% instead of 10% is the greatest loss for me. $40 AF (AF - Tripit) is not that bad considering the versatility + chip/pin but now I don't know. I might just downgrade to the non +

satman40 and moongoddess like this.
  5. moongoddess

Status Points:
    satman40 likes this.
  6. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I'm not a card churner, so I dislike signing up for a card knowing that I'm going to be canceling it a year or two down the road. It's not worth the bother to me. And the current changes make the card far less attractive than a simple no annual fee 2% cash back card.

You might as well downgrade. Any benefits you lose will be more than offset by not paying that $89 annual fee.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a card Churner so a good reason to cancel..

I look for performance and production...

I do not mind carrying a different card, and cutting up the old one...

They change, I change...

Change is good...

MX likes this.
  8. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this rumor turns to reality, that would be the best option! :p
    Btw, Barclays just sent me this "Happy 4th" picture below:

[​IMG]

satman40 likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Cool Card.

MX likes this.
  10. agsoccer32

agsoccer32 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Barclays: Enjoy this cool picture! (BTW we're taking away some benefits of this card!)

MX likes this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
  12. brdweb

brdweb Active Member

Status Points:
    Reviving this thread a bit. For redemption options if I downgrade to the regular arrival, nothing changes (other than the program changes coming from Barclays), correct? This is a shame because I was going to use this card for unbonused spend with the Citi Prestige as my other card. Now thinking of going with the Everyday preferred to get the additional bonus categories. Opinions on that? (And yes I have a CSP but going to dump it as I prefer the Citi card for now since I mainly fly AA, even with the new Chase signup rules)

13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean nothing changes besides program changes from Barclay. I downgraded and now its 2% on travel/dining + 1% on everything else with the same 10,000 min + category changes etc.

If you're flying mainly AA why go with Amex Everyday? With the PRestige you still get 1.6cpp on every dollar spent on unbonused ... vs ? If anything I'd go with Citi DoubleCash and get 2% cash back instead.

MX likes this.
  14. brdweb

brdweb Active Member

Status Points:
    I meant for spending the 65k pts or so I have left on my Arrival+, not additional earning. Sorry I didn't make that clear. I don't have something immediately that I want to use them on so that's why I was going to downgrade. As to the other, I'd like to get bonus categories for other things such as at grocery stores and have another source of say Krisflyer miles or something else if needed. I'm also Citigold so I do get another 15% point bonus at the end of the year on the Prestige.

MX likes this.
  15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Use it if it does not perform cancel it.

We use it because it is worth it, but I would cancel it after the first year if it was not with the AF.

Profit is not a dirty word.,,

For now it is still a keeper here.,.

At ove 60 churned cards, I guess you could call me a Churner....

I just love Credit Cards,