Barclay USAirways credit card?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by PAinNY, Mar 29, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't have status with either AA or USAir but I have both credit cards. Does it make any sense for me to keep the USA card? It's time for renewal and it doesn't seem to make sense anymore.

Thanks
    PA

2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might consider keeping the US Air/Barclays credit card which is becoming the AAdvantage Aviator Card, since once you cancel it you can never get that one back. But you can always re-apply for a citibank credit card later and possibly get another sign-up bonus for it. The benefits on both cards are similar. And the Aviator Red card is having a good promotion right now, 50% bonus miles on purchases up to 10k bonus miles. So basically 1.5x on everyday spend. Since they can't offer new applications (or soon won't be able to) I'm hoping we'll see good bonus offers like this going forward.

-David

PAinNY likes this.
  3. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reply David. But.. I am still a bit confused as to the benefit since I already get the free baggage, 10% bonus on miles used etc. I see where you mention 50% bonus on purchases but I don't have the Aviator Red card yet and by the time I get it that promo may be over.But, thanks, something for me to consider.
    PA

4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you US Air/Barclays credit card has the 10k annual bonus that would make it worth keeping it just for paying sub one cent per mile.

PAinNY and MX like this.
  5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The 1.5x promo started before the red cards are issued. You may need to log onto your account to see if your qualifies. Most do. Also not every card gets the 10k annual bonus but many do.

satman40 and MX like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no reason to keep both cards, as the benefits will be identical. Also, it has always been very easy to get a retention offer form Citi for the AA card, where as barclay's has been a bit stingier in giving out retention offers.

7. PAinNY
    Original Member

PAinNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone, not eligible for the 10,000 bonus nor is my husband. Think we will save the annual fee.

8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you call? You should call Barclays to see if you have that offer, it's not showing online anymore. You have to register for it before the end of the promo then all purchases will count from the beginning of the promo period. Promo period is March 1 - June 30. Register by June 30.

I still think you're looking at it backwards, but it's your credit card, your money. Up to you. I'd get rid of the citibank card so down the road I could apply for it again and get another set of first time bonus miles for applying for it. Yes, they both have similar benefits, and now that the FF programs have combined, your US Airways MC is now an AAdvantage Aviator Red card, you just haven't received the new plastic yet, and you can never get it again if you cancel it. The card even has the 10% rebate on AA award redemptions capped at 10k like the citibank card does.

https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/red

-David

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  9. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is no requirement by Citi to cancel an existing AA card in order to apply for a new Citi AA card.

10. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got the email again today to register for the 50% bonus miles on the Aviator Red card. (US Airways Barclays card.)

-David

11. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We now have 4 card registered for the bonus. 80k in spend for an extra 40k in miles.

LIH Prem likes this.
  12. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick question, if our US Airways card came with a 10k annual bonus will that remain under the Aviator card system? (Yes I'm not reading all the communication closely...)

13. swazzie

swazzie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes if you're getting the Red version. I don't know if that applies for the other versions.

satman40 and iolaire like this.
  14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you apply for an upgrade to the silver card, you will lose it. It you want the silver card it is best to get a second barclays us air card while you still can and then convert that one to the silver card.

satman40 and iolaire like this.
  15. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks I don't care about the extra 1% on AA flights or the status miles for spending a lot. I am willing to keep the cards to get 10k for under $100.

marcwint55 and satman40 like this.
  16. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have both the citi card and the Aviator Red card the rebate will be 2x 10% up to 10k each!

Best I can tell here are the silver card benefits not included on the red card:

- 5k EQM per 20k spent on the card (10k EQM max per year)
    - $99 companion cert (good for up to 2 companions)
    - Global Entry fee refund.
    - 3x vs 2x on AA/US purchases
    - 2x on "eligible" hotel and rental car expenses
    - "Premium Servicing"

Red card site benefits not listed for on the silver card site:

- Additional Redemption flexibility (not clear to me what this is, it mentions 1-way awards and travel packages)
    - $100 AA discount on card anniversary if you spent $30k or more on the card in the last year.

The rest of the benefits are the same including priority boarding, free bag, no forex fees, 10% rebate on award redemptions up to 10k per year, 25% in flight purchases (food, bev, headsets) on AA/US.

sources:

http://AviatorMasterCard.com/red
    http://AviatorMasterCard.com/silver

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    MX, iolaire and marcwint55 like this.
  17. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Analysis: If I had or was going for status on AA, I'd consider upgrading to the Silver card for the extra ~ $100 annual fee. Otherwise, the Red card is great and cheaper. Either way I'd keep the card, as once it's gone you can't get it back (consider moving to the $49 annual fee Aviator Blue card or the no annual fee Aviator Card if they will allow movement between all card variants).

http://AviatorMasterCard/blue
    https://www.barclaycardus.com/servicing/aviator (for the no-fee Aviator card)

I wonder if moving to the no annual fee version is still an option for the OP? I didn't think of that until now.

At least for now, Barclays seems to be giving us an attractive set of choices for these cards. I hope that continues as they try to hold on to our business.

-David

18. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will keep the Red, I have Lifetime Status..

19. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I sure wish I had done that when all AA miles earned counted towards lifetime status.

My friend on Long Island owns a couple of retail stores and over the years probably charges all their purchases to their AA branded credit cards, and he's really never flown a paid mile, but has lifetime top tier status with AA. :)

-David

iolaire likes this.
  20. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Anybody know whether the chip technology with the Red will be Chip+PIN or Chip+signature?

iolaire likes this.
  21. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also have lifetime platinum, but the silver will let me keep EXP for 90k of travel instead of 100k. That was the main reason I got the second Barclays card, because I didn't want to give up the 10k annual bonus on the first.

iolaire and LIH Prem like this.
  22. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    ah, the cap, I added that to the post listing the benefit above. Thanks.

-David

iolaire likes this.
  23. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I owned a retail, and service business, and made most of my purchases on credit cards, I also built several rental properties with credit cards...

The trick is to pay them off when the bills come in, with EBay it was an easy, first time my CPA see the sales figures he flipped out, it was unreal in the early days, using drop shipping.

iolaire and LIH Prem like this.
  24. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt we will be getting 20% off! I'd guess it will be capped at 10k regardless of the number of cards.

25. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the new card chip and pin? I received an email on my business card today and it talks about the card and talks about using a pin?

You'll be choosing a new PIN

When you activate your card, you'll be asked to select a new PIN. You will also be prompted to activate employee cards and select PINs one at a time after your card has been activated.

Please remember that after the new PIN has been assigned, each cardmember will have to sign for their first transaction at a chip-card terminal with a cashier. Once that transaction has been approved, the new PIN will be activated on that card. The cardmember will then be able to make transactions at self-service terminals where a PIN is required.

Manage your PIN anytime by calling the number on the back of your card and following the prompts to change your PIN.

Note: The same PIN will be used for self-service transactions and cash advances at ATMs.

If you have not received your card, please call us immediately at 855-284-9166.

LIH Prem and MX like this.