Barclay, c'mon ... you're killing me!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Ed Chandler, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two apps, 120 days apart. Outstanding credit. (Meaning "good", not "plenty of outstanding credit") ;)
    Cannot seem to get them to approve an Arrival card. :mad:

I'm planning a recon "trifecta" -- phone, FAX, and snail mail -- for tomorrow morning.

Apart from the normal, "Know the competition, be willing to move credit, and be able to explain why you want it" advice, does anyone have any Barclay-specific advice that I should keep in my call notes?

Thanks in advance.

Kalboz, Mike Reed and delff128 like this.
  2. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm in the exact same boat with the US Airways card. Over 120 days between applications, excellent and I mean excellent credit and credit history, a history of being a loyal and responsible Barclays card holder, adequate income, nowhere near my credit line that has been extended by other banks and.......denied. Very frustrated :-/ My first denial ever. Calling the reconsideration line was no help either.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz, Mike Reed and Ed Chandler like this.
  3. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    [Like] Misery loves company. :)

4. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't that the truth. I just find it perplexing how or why Barclays rationalizes extending me less than a fifth the credit other banks such as Chase, Citi, and GE Capital extend me under the exact same circumstances.

Kalboz and Mike Reed like this.
  5. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm frustrated, sure, but I do look at it the other way around: Rather than "why shouldn't they give me the card?", I try to think in terms of "why should they?" If I can answer that convincingly, I figure I've got a decent shot.

I just fired off the fax and hit them with a secure message as well. We'll see how it goes.

6. delff128

delff128 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your approach is the type of attitude I had when first applying for the card and also throughout the conversations I had with the very nice reconsideration reps. However, after still being denied my attitude migrated into what it is now merely out of confusion.

Good luck with your endeavor though.

Kalboz and Mike Reed like this.
  7. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Didn't have time to post yesterday, but I made my recon call over lunch and ... got approved. :)

Obviously "be prepared"is the best advice for recon call, but it helps to know what you need to be prepared for.

Data points, mostly not new information; just sharing my experience:
    • They they will "shift" credit around to make room for another card if you've already got all the credit they're going to extend. (I read this elsewhere, so it's not new -- just confirming.)
    • According to the call rep, their online application will automatically decline you if you've applied with them "recently." In my case, I had applied for the exact same card 100+ days ago and that is what caused the automatic rejection. (Again, this is what he said.)
    • He said that they had declined the previous application because they needed more information and were unable to reach me when they "reached out to me." He said that they do initiate outbound calls to get more information from applicants, but admitted that they do so from a blocked number. So keep that in mind if you tend not to answer phone calls from numbers you don't know or blocks numbers.
    • They will ask you about the credit pulls they see on your history. I always have about the same number of pulls. Some banks ask about them and others don't. This one does. Be ready.
    Lesson learned:
    I have always taken time to think through how recon calls might go and mentally prepare myself before making them.This time was a little different. Because I had already been declined once for this card, I had resolved to "carpet bomb" them with a mailed letter, a fax, a secure message, and a recon call.​
    _​
    Their call center was closed at the time I made the application, so I had to wait until the next day to make my recon call. I used some of that time to write the letter I intended to send. It included a reference to my existing accounts in good standing, a willingness to shift credit limits around, and a couple of bullet points explaining why I wanted this card even though I already had other cards with them. Essentially, because I knew the written letter would be non-interactive, I had written out the answers to questions I expected they might have when looking over my application. ​
    _​
    Because I had written it the night before, I had a copy of the letter in my hand when I made my recon call. It was immensely helpful. Now that may seem like a gigantic "DUH", but I'll bet a lot of us don't take the time to do it. It's one thing to think to yourself in vague terms "Well, if they ask this, I'll answer something like that." It's entirely another to write out your argument as though those written words had to do the trick on their own.​
    _​
    Again, "Duh" I guess, but this is going on my checklist.​

8. Gacspeech

Gacspeech Active Member

Status Points:
    It's was really nhelpful to read even though I'm not applying for Barclay right now. Thanks for sharing. :)

Kalboz and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. servo

servo Silver Member

Status Points:

Ed, if you're willing to share - what were your answers to the number of credit inquiries question and why you wanted the Arrival (do you have other Barclay's cards? US?)? I have been denied for a 2nd US card and the Arrival card in successive quarters. I think I'm going to give Barclay's a rest for a while as a result, but I'm curious for future reconsiderations as to how you went from denied to approved with them, because I used the HUCB method 3 times each on both my denials, to no avail.

gallivant and Kalboz like this.
  10. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure thing,

I really do like to keep expenses for different things separated (once minimum spends are complete and signup bonuses are in hand, that is). So, the multiple credit inquiries question goes down just like that. I've got step kids; I keep their stuff separate so the wife can deal with her ex. I have a few "businesses", and I keep those separate: photography, consulting, etc.

As for why I wanted the Arrival card when I already have the US Air and Frontier cards, THAT was the one that I'm glad I wrote out ahead of time. This is it, cut and paste:

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    With the recent Hilton devaluation I'm shifting hotel spend from Hilton to Starwood. I have changed airlines from American to United. I like to keep my work and business spend separate, including expenses that I file with work since it means they have access to my credit card spend for the credit card I use, and I have a personal business that I keep track of as well. Using separate cards lets me track things at the end of the year for tax purposes, etc etc.

12. tzoom84
    Original Member

tzoom84 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just wanted to add my data point here:

Just wanted to add a data point. I signed up for the US Airways card + the Barclay Arrival card in the same day during my last churn. The US Airways one was immediately approved. However I was denied the Barclay Arrival. When I called for reconsideration they said they felt that I had enough credit on the US Airways card and want to see 6 months to a year of activity on that card before issuing another. I currently have solid credit. And in my case they didn't ask about recent inquiries.This was my first denial as well in 3 years of the game.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm shocked, shocked to find that the banks are wising up to the fact that there are serial churner on whom they lose money every time.

casablanca.JPG

14. Surface Interval
    Original Member

Surface Interval Silver Member

Status Points:
    I always do my AOR's in the morning so I have time to contact them later in the day if a hung approval needs help.

For Barclays, I tend to hit them first as they seem to use 'recent inquires' as part of their equation.