Barclay awards can't be transferred?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by justinxjx, Jun 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    New to this, and I think I already screwed up by applying and getting qualified for the Barclaycard Arrival World MC. I just figured out that the 40,000 points that I will receive after $1,000 are not transferable to other airlines, rather they can only be used to basically purchase airfare through the Barclay website. Do you think it is worth it to try and see if Barclay will switch it to the US Airways card, or should I just bite the bullet and use the points to buy some cheaper RT airfare to visit my family at Christmas?

I'm really hoping to take the wife on a F or C trip to probably AMS and CDG around next Memorial Day. Do you think that is possible? I am starting out with about 14,500 DL miles, 130,000 Amex points, and I have about 500 LH, and am almost to 500 UA from doing surveys! I also got approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and will get 40,000 points after $3,000. I am willing and able to do more in the credit card arena to make it happen, and am under review for the Chase Ink Bold right now too.

marcwint55 likes this.
  2. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't think they will switch but you can use the points on the Arrival for hotel charges and possibly transportation charges such as trains. I believe you have to ask for the the points to be used as a credit. I would like to know if you can use the points for travel charges such as museum tickets. Several of the bloggers have done series on the use of the Arrival card so you might get more details there.

3. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

They will not switch the points, but they can be used to purchase a ticket on any airline.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. justinxjx

justinxjx Silver Member

Status Points:
    After more searching on a couple of blogs, I understand that basically you get 2.2% cash back on this card when you redeem for travel due to the 10% points refund. So I'll get a free domestic flight for me and my wife and then I'll cancel since I won't be able to justify the $89 annual fee with all of the other miles cards I am getting.

5. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can apply earned points against travel charges that you put on the card in the previous 90 days. You don't need to buy the travel from or through Barclayscard, just charge it to this card. Travel charges are airline, hotel, resort, cruise, train or car rental. When you apply the points you get 10% back in points. So you do need to occasionally have some paid travel to benefit from this card.

6. williamtoliver

williamtoliver Member

Status Points:

7. williamtoliver

williamtoliver Member

Status Points:
    Question - can I get the card, make the necessary $1,000 spend in 3 months but then apply the points against travel costs anytime after the 90 days? I plan to get the card make the necessary spend on non travel purchases and then later in the year make travel purchases and then apply for the credit- will that work?

8. jojim

jojim Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes

9. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:

... or the taxes, fees, and other surcharges incurred when you redeem airline miles for award tickets.
    Remember that you have to offset the entire travel purchase when you redeem Arrival points, so it pays to have small purchases.

10. norge
    Original Member

norge Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not so. You redeem in $25 increments for 2500 pts. Been there done that. So, if you have a $200 charge but only 7500 pts you can redeem $75 and now you only owe $125.

11. davythefatboy

davythefatboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not found this to be true, I applied $150 against a $500 charge. But it does look like I can't apply more miles to the same charge next month.

12. Ed Chandler
    Original Member

Ed Chandler Silver Member

Status Points:
    My apologies, ... you are correct. I got this program mixed up in my head with the CapitalOne Venture program.
    I've edited my original reply to strike through my mistake. Thanks, all.