Barcelone Question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Steven Schwartz, Jan 27, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi all-

Just booked a five day trip to Barcelona for September, 2016. Have some hotel questions. First of all, I am Platinum with Starwood and Gold with Marriott and have enough points with each to go to any of their hotels.

1. Seem to be hotels near city center and others by the water. Any thoughts on best place to stay and why?

2. Looks like three good SPG options and three Marriotts (one seems to be a Ritz affiliate):

SPG:
    Le Meriden Barcelona
    Grand Hotel Central Barcelona
    W Barcelona

MarriottL
    Cotton House
    Renaissance Barcelona
    Hotel Arts

Appreciate any insights the wonderful Milepoint (oops! - IInsideFlyer) crown can provide. You've all made so many of my vacations that much more special!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    My recollection is that the W is on the far side of the marina. Not good for city touristing IMO. I also don't really love staying right on Las Ramblas from a noise & crowds perspective. Fine to ramble along as part of the trip but I don't base visits to the city there. The Renaissance and Cotton House probably fit the bill based on that, though there are a ton of other nice, smaller properties which I tend to frequent instead.

3. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Seth. Any thoughts on the Ritz - Hotel Arts? Got an offer for a reasonable Club upgrade.

4. coflyer2

coflyer2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Location depends on what you want to do while you are in BCN. Is this your first visit? Do you want to lay on the beach or see the city? We just got back from 3 days in BCN before a cruise, and one day after the cruise. We always allow the arrival day to be a relaxed day.

For us it is always about location. Although we have been to BCN before, we still do tourist things. The Plaza Catulunya is a central point for all transportation. You can take the every 20 min Aerobus from the airport to the square. It beats the 45+ Euro taxi. You can get the underground, the bus or the hop-on/hop-off bus in the Plaza.

We have stayed at the Le Meridien a short walk from the square. Being "around the corner" we didn't hear noise from La Ramblas. We reduced costs by using the Carrefour Supermarket around the corner [great deals on Spanish wines and bottled water at ,34 Euro per liter]. We save our Euros for nice meals out. There are great pastry shops and eating places all around.

Good luck in planning your vacation!

5. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at Le Meridien a few times and would gladly return - the windows are excellent, so the noise isn't an issue IMO. On top of that they are usually quite good at Platinum upgrades and have nice suites.

6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I actually quite like the Four Points - not luxurious but I prefer a quieter location, Tons of local restaurants on the walking street that leads to the beach (about a 20 minute walk to the beach if you wish, twentyish minute walk to Gaudi catherdral in the other direction). Staff are really great and IMHO better than some higher level hotels, but the rooms aren't the luxury you'd get at the hotels you mentioned.

You can take a bus in 15 minutes to the center and I REALLY like being able to get away from the madness of the crowds all over the main tourist sights. Walking on Las Ramblas is fighting a huge crowd most of the time (and I've seen drug stuff going on in the middle of the day - not scary type but explains a lot of the reputation for pick pockets, etc, I think).

7. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OK folks. Trip just over 2 weeks away and hoping for some guidance. We often use www.viator.com to set up tours of different areas. When you're not paying cash for hotels, you need to do this stuff on your own and we have been very lucky using this company. Question is do we need them for Barcelona or is it really a place to tour on your own? Any out of town excursions that people think are a must - in which cast I guess we would use Viator.

Appreciate any guidance at all. Thanks!

8. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No responses so we booked three walking tours with this company:

www.runnerbeantours.com

Great reviews on TripAdvisor. Two are free - just tip the guide - and one we are paying 15 Euro each. I'll give feedback after we return.

9. adamefimoff2

adamefimoff2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would book either W Hotel or Hotel Arts with virtuoso . Have you tried made for spain and portugal

10. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We are already booked into the Hotel Arts on points and are paying cash for a Club upgrade.

11. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be looking forward to your reviews. I tend to tour on my own and Barcelona is a great place to do so......I walk a lot ( and stop for as long as I wish when and where I wish) and take local transport, but maybe I'm missing something I should try!