Barcelona suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by dstober, Nov 4, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All! I've set myself a goal for sometime 2014-2015 to take my family (2 adults, 2 teens) to Barcelona to celebrate a milestone (ahem, not telling which one!) birthday November 2014. I'm aiming to travel business class+ on award points/miles, and stay in a luxury hotel (probably 5-7 days). The family is pretty adventurous and we all love music, food, sightseeing, adventure. I'm 1K on United, have points spread across Hilton & Marriott primarily, have the Chase Ink Bold and Sapphire Preferred, and am open to looking at various airlines and hotels or other credit cards I should get. Here are my questions for the wisdom of MPers:
    1. Best time of year to visit and why?
    2. Hotels to aim for?
    3. Star Alliance recs or United? Other airlines?
    I will be happy to share my learnings along the way. Thanks!

2. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went during the winter and it was fairly cold but didn't rain much. I'd think Summer time is quite nice as it is a coastal/port city.
    I stayed at the Palace Hotel on Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes. It's a 5 star hotel booked via LHW. Don't confuse this with El Palace Hotel on the same street. It was a very nice hotel. The staff spoke good English and were very courteous.

gconnery and dstober like this.
  3. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the hotel rec--I will definitely check it out!

4. colt245

colt245 Silver Member

Status Points:
    you could go at the end of September, weather will still be nice (can average about 22 degrees) but you could go experience the 'la mercè festival' a very large street party with firework displays. Should be enjoyable especially if you're going for a special occasion.

5. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard La Merce is really great. Might work for that timing!

colt245 likes this.
  6. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I hear "Barcelona" all I can think of is Cal Pep. Had a fantastic lunch there and I've been dying to go back. This is one of the very few times that I just let the waitstaff bring whatever was good, and it was the right move.

7. dstober

dstober Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, schnitzel! We love good food, so I will definitely keep Cal Pep in our list of things to do/places to go!

schnitzel likes this.
  8. jporritt

jporritt Active Member

Status Points:
    Just came back from Barcelona. We stayed at the Le Meridien Barcelona and was in a great location and a great hotel. We were not sure if that was the place to stay, but I would highly recommend it. Upgraded to a junior suite and had a great room.

gconnery likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at Five Points Sheraton, walking distance form everywhere...used the hop on hop off,

Nice trip. Also seen Madrid. And Lisbon...

Enjoy...

10. euromannn
    Original Member

euromannn Gold Member

Status Points:
    Stay away from July and August as it can get to 120F in south Andalucia area.

gconnery likes this.
  11. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can also be quite warm in Catalunya as well. :rolleyes:

12. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Noob Traveler has an write up on Barcelona, stayed at the Westin on the beach, was by the hotel, looked nice from a distance,,

Decent read.

gconnery likes this.
  13. mbpea

mbpea Active Member

Status Points:
    Booked 5-for-4 Renaissance award before devaluation for July stay. Have been told hotel is in a good area. Also combined 2 o/w on AUS and FIN for ORD VIE NCE/BCN HEL YYZ ORD. Will share review in a couple months. Know pp who stayed several times at Meridian and loved it.

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. It can get VERY hot. But hey, maybe you don't have a problem with heat...