Barcelona, Budapest or somewhere else

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ericb, Sep 24, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ericb

ericb Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looking to rent an apartment in a reasonably inexpensive European mid-sized city for about a month. Looking for a town with good cheap food (average restaurant quality is good) and fun year round night life - bars over mega clubs. Weather might be a factor given we're getting into October.

Any recommendations or places to consider?

Eric

anileze, Sweet Willie and Mirror74 like this.
  2. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Central-Eastern European cities are definetely much cheaper than western or northern ones... look for Budapest, Bratislava, Warsaw or even Kiew...

anileze and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    what time of year & are you looking for a certain state of weather? (I'm assuming Oct/Nov)
    agreed. or Croatia, Greece which will likely be warmer. Plenty of options!

anileze likes this.
  4. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot go wrong with food in any city/town in Spain.

5. Dad to GO

Dad to GO Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh... let us know what you find out. We are looking into going to Barcelona, Budapest, and Prague next summer. Would love to hear how you like the area.

6. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    For weather I'd pick Barcelona, for food Strasbourg, for nightlife Berlin, and for access to beautiful countryside, great local history and culture, and fine pubs, Edinburgh. But frankly, in the autumn I'd go with Strasbourg - wine country drives, the Black Forest is close by, castles, autumn leaves, and OMG the food and wine. Plus it's about as attractive a town as you can choose.

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had another pickpocket encounter on the train in Barcelona last month. You really need to be on your guard there. I thought one of my friends was going to punch out the female that squeezed between me and the train doors as she put her hand in my pocket. Fortunately, I had on cargo shorts and she picked a deep pocket with a few euros in the bottom that she never got to. I just can't imagine being there for a month and dealing with that every day. Maybe a few days, but not 30 of them. That was my fourth Barcelona trip.

I've been over to Lisbon for a few days each of the last three years and have developed a liking for it--easy side trip from Madrid or Barcelona. The economy there is terrible, to the point that locals don't go out for dinner as much, so the restaurants have become very dependent on tourists. One restaurant I went to at the Expo grounds advertised a 2 for 1 happy hour to get people in, and once enough tables were filled, either with customers or off-duty employees, they pulled the sign and guests came in on their own to what had become a busy restaurant. I find it a great town to walk around, though we saw a pair of pickpockets at work on one of the trams, so not immune here, either. PHOTOS

[​IMG]

Most of the nightlife here seems to be centered in the alleys of Chiodo above town.

[​IMG]

No shortage of good, reasonably priced food, either. Two items from my trip (the second is from an all-you-can-eat rodizio where they come to your table with various cuts of beef, chicken and sausage):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took some friends there from World Swimming Championships in Barcelona mid-week and they had a great time.

I do have Barcelona photos here: http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Europe/Spain/2013-Barcelona/30759873_Mbsb2v#!i=2659419981&k=xmTFL6t

And Prague photos here:
    http://tom911.smugmug.com/Travel-Eu...ublic/19953291_zLT7Gq#!i=1570990050&k=DRRzTS3

TravelBear likes this.
  8. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    tom911 likes this.
  9. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I went over by train from Berlin on the last trip. Just checked and the fares are 39 euros each way for the 4.5 hour trip, a reasonable price for the terrain covered. Could save some time starting in Dresden. Fares are as low as 19 euros one way from there.

10. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    We will be coming from Munich.

11. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had an encounter with a pickpocket in July in Barcelona. It was worse than Tom911, though. There was a coordinated team working the train station. The first one threw vomit on my Dad as he was walking by. Someone waited for my Dad to notice and then pointed Dad toward the bathroom. When he got there, someone else offered to help and got close to Dad. He pushed them away and told them to go. He changed shirts when he thought the was alone. However, they did get his wallet and copies of our passports. We only had 5 minutes to get on the train to Madrid from Barcelona, so we called and cancelled cards, etc on the train. Of course, he only had a few Euros in his pocket because we do not travel with a lot of cash.

When we arrived in Madrid, we asked the hotel for the nearest police station. They have a hotline set up with a bank of English speaking CS agents to take your report. While I was on the phone, you could hear in the background that there was a constant stream of phone calls.

Now, we stayed out at the Four Points and the pickpockets were not very active out there, unlike the city center. However, it seems that the authorities tend to look the other way and consider it a "dumb tourist tax".

We did find the food relatively inexpensive in Barcelona and even with that incident, my family loved the city.