Barack Obama faces 'elitism' claims over $1,000-for-two Hawaiian dinner with Michelle

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Barack Obama faces 'elitism' claims over $1,000-for-two Hawaiian dinner with Michelle

What's on the "other side" of the divide Mr. President?

Food Insecurity and Very Low Food Security
    • In 2013, 49.1 million Americans lived in food insecure households, including 33.3 million adults and 15.8 million children.

http://www.feedingamerica.org/hunge...nd-poverty/hunger-and-poverty-fact-sheet.html

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    daninstl and Newscience like this.
  2. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Columbia and Harvard Law, say no more.
    2. Did the government pay for it? Shove off.

3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even when the Obamas did pay for it, it's all about the message he sends to "his" America. Thank you, Mr. President. Understood. :(:oops::(

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    What message? and to whom?
    Would you be happier if he spent the $1000.00 on a milage run to acquire status .. so he can drink free champagne in an airport lounge?
    Or spent it on a hunting trip in Alaska to shoot Grizzly bears?

You might not like the guy's policies but Christ there is nothing he can do without the haters making a huge deal about it.:rolleyes:

Gargoyle, anileze, NYCUA1K and 3 others like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's not really that, it's more about the "other side" of America which goes hungry, and what the President of the USA stands for in public.

6. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am no Obama fan but give the guy a break :eek:

he has one of the toughest and most thankless jobs in the world, he deserves to have a holiday splurge

and I hope he has a productive 2015, like him or not

Gargoyle, daninstl, anileze and 6 others like this.
  7. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Amen.

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    So our president should only eat a homeless shelters? The guy makes $400k, has at least one successful book, he should be able to afford to eat out for a nice dinner every so often or more. Not to mention in the DC area he goes to numerous local low cost establishments in the DC area. Plus he went to Chipotle in 2014 and stuck something over the glass...

Must be a slow news day...

anileze, NYCUA1K, YULtide and 6 others like this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's interesting how many here "defend" the Mr. President, it's really not about what he earns or how "successful" he is, it's more about for what he stands for and what's acceptable while millions of his fellow Americans go hungry every single day. This has nothing to do with a "slow" newsday. It's about the leader of the USA.

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok ok I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later ...OMNI comes to MP:D

11. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those are some nice hotel pictures you have there. Many of them in Third World countries where had you decided to stay in modest accommodations and donate the difference, your money could have made a real difference. Yet you chose otherwise. Wonder what that says about you.

Oh, right, it's OK for YOU to indulge in luxury while people are starving because you're not the leader of the Free World. Presidents are supposed to be superhuman. It's the Leader's responsibility to set examples, not yours.

12. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is this a Flyertalk thread ? ;)

flyforawg, anileze, YULtide and 5 others like this.
  13. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    As President of the United States, I would be more concerned with his policies to help the poor and hungry in the USA matter more than what he ate or drank on his vacation. One can argue that here the President and Mrs. Obama have been leaders in fighting hunger (especially amongst school children).

BTW, a slight correction on the price of dinner. The First couple selected the prix-fixe menu which costs $295/person. It is the recommended wine pairings that would bring the price to $1000. Yes, it is not an average priced meal, nonetheless, but it may have been a special occasion for them (and who has not splurged on occasion!)

YULtide, IDGflygirl and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, but I guess, the most venerable in our society haven't "spluged" $1000 for a dinner just yet. Your're right, the President has purchased this dinner as a private person, but heh, is the President ever really private? That's a tough call, I know. Of course he's wealthy and can eat / drink whatever he wants, but it's the picture or sour taste / images which he creates while doing so that might upset some people, especially those who haven't even $1000 a month in their wallets to pay for it all incl. rents, food, school, doctors and all the other bills associated with "living".

Newscience and satman40 like this.
  15. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe he should just fast :rolleyes:

16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's all about consciousness, and as I pointed out, it's not about a lifestyle of a private person, it's about what the President of the USA stands for in sight of the nation, in plain sight of people who go hungry, it's about leadership and these people, as do many others who "think a little bit without prejudice" will feel slighted about the elected leader of the USA. Would he be a private person and he would stand for "himself" but this can't be expected of the President himself, at least not in his official capacity while still elected. Yes, we love to fly, yes, we love hotels, but on the other hand we don't love that people go hungry. At least a leader in stature as Mr. Obama could wake up and resovle the poverty problems in his own backyard, he has the power, but has he the will?

satman40 likes this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's often suggested from some people, dont' worry MP is MP. Overall, we should do a little thinking before you suggest such hyperbole which involves TOBB. MP sells themselves as a community, such remarks aren't worth entertaining. It's about the leader of the USA and he's travelled to Hawaii and paid for a meal, and it's the dinning thread here on MP. Nothing wrong to get the brain going a bit. It's all about choice, it's not about TOBB.

18. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you're on MP. Thanks. :)

Newscience likes this.
  19. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Come on now ... are you saying Obama does not care about the poor in our society? Your pronunciations are beginning sound a bit silly.
    How far do think he would get if the saw " the light", in your way thinking and proposed a $100B program to feed the poor in the US?

Seems we (I) might have struck a nerve here perhaps you might want to lighten up a bit.

satman40 likes this.
  20. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    You do realize that President Obama had to pay first-class airfare for himself and his family to visit Hawaii, right (and drag along a bunch of government employees that taxpayers paid for)? I suppose you find that objectionable, too, since poor families can't exactly pay to fly first class? What exactly do you "expect"? Sitting in the White House for 8 years like it's a big white jail? Are state dinners OK? Maybe he should dump the White House for a one-bedroom in a ghetto for solidarity with the poor?

I mean, really, using the money out of his own pocket to pay for dinner is arguably the tip of the iceberg. Not everybody can be this guy. I also submit that tut-tutting about leaders enjoying the same things we enjoy misses the beam for a mote. Social justice doesn't have to wait for rich people to become saints; it's often better if it doesn't.

Under what authority does a US President have authority to make expenditures to "resolve poverty problems" without the consent of Congress through law?

satman40 likes this.
  21. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I seem to remember this was a $299.00 place, and that is not a lot of money for 3 hours of entertainment.

My fondest memories of The Grand Wailea, was feeding the birds at the deli next door,

I would have hated to set there for 3 hours.

uggboy likes this.
  22. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    The article estimated that the accompanying wine would rack the bill up to around 1,000.

There are so many things one can say about this but instead of arguing for or against, let me offer a few scenarios that might help put things into better perspective

1) Is the family who is living on social security / welfare wrong if they scrimped and saved so that they can bring their kid to the Disney Park for a special occasion
    2) Is the leader of a charity organisation who solicits funds for starving 3rd world nations bad when dining on a nice meal while on vacation
    3) Could a president who lived a frugal life while in the office and subsequently lives lavishly be perceived by some to be even more hypocritical

As a father of just 2 kids, I am already frequently accused of being unfair.
    It is not easy running a country as big as the US with no real (complete) authority but huge amounts of ass kissing, deal brokering, compromise, legacies etc.

In war, a platoon, a company or even a whole brigade may be sacrificed for a larger objective that may not be clear to the men on the ground.
    Even a game of chess is no different. One simply cannot win the game without losses.

It was much easier to lead in the past where people actually worked for (and believed in) the collective good of the group.
    As a present day leader for the people...I thing Obama is as good as they come nowadays.
    Everyone has their flaws and can always do better but I perceived him to be a man with a conscience and that is more than anyone can hope for in a leader.

One of life's greatest irony is that foresight + action does not necessary makes a person popular as the disaster was averted / prevented and there is no "proof". This is especially true when the foresight only allows one to choose the lesser of two evils.
    The outcome, still a "disaster" albeit a lesser one still marks the leader as a failure.
    Most of the time, we do not live in a science lab where there is a control and then there are the various scenarios.

flyforawg and uggboy like this.
  23. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really, aren't folks on Milepoint aware that the POTUS flies on Air Force One with his family and entourage, courtesy of the US taxpayers?

And this article doesn't quite say who paid for the meal for Barack and Michelle Obama. To state that they paid for their meal out of their own pocket is a leap of faith. My guess is that there was in fact no bill presented by the happy restaurant owner, who rather obviously got priceless publicity by having the Obamas eat at his dining establishment.

uggboy, vickers and blackjack-21 like this.
  24. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the first thing I thought of (AF 1) after reading e_c's comment about the flights. Add to that the other planes, C-5 sized or similar for the security cars and staff that usually accompany the President on trips. Note that I'm not apologizing or criticising him for the trip, he's entitled to a vacation like anyone else. And unlike the thread's title, where I first thought it was $1,000 each for the dinner, it was the total for him and Michelle, $500 each if indeed he actually was handed a bill for the meal.

While my wife and I can't (nor would she let me) afford such a fine meal, there's probably more then a few on here or FT for that matter, who have indulged in a similar dinner without concerns for the expense. And unlike the President, who always flies that big, beautiful bird that is AF1, or Marine One, he doesn't get the FF miles while other people do when they fly anywhere.

(Or does he? This is a FF website after all!) :)

OMNI/PR should stay on FT, not here.

milchap, vickers and Newscience like this.
  25. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    @uggboy perhaps you will think again before posting a link that is not complimentary to our dear emperor. they taste your blood in the water.

Dublin_rfk, daninstl and uggboy like this.