Bankruptcy judge rules against American Airlines' bid to quickly end retiree benefits

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Newscience, Apr 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    MyTravels, sobore, MX and 3 others like this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not going as smoothly as Dougie thought, is it? :D:D:D

Flyer1976, MX, gregm and 2 others like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY, gregm and Newscience like this.
  4. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pizzaman and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    As I noted when I blogged this earlier today, how exactly do you convince your existing employees that you're bargaining in good faith while you're busy screwing the previous batches of employees?

6. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dougie has somehow convinced himself that he can do it.

Newscience and flyforawg like this.
  7. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would be joining countless other even non bankrupt public corps in trying to end retiree health subsidy and having the retiree pay the full premium. Those premiums are still better than the general market due to group plan cost pooling. And paying for life coverage for the retired employees really must be sky high due to their age profile. It's not even mildly surprising and every airline will do this if they haven't already.

Personally Id rather just see Medicare get better so that all retirees can be safe and someone's health care quality in old age isn't based on the luck of what company they worked for during their last 5 working years.

This is just the AA finance team making pretty general biz decisions that many industries make every day. Do I like it - no. But it's nothing special.

Newscience, zphelj and LETTERBOY like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I guess, except it would seem these benefits were collectively bargained for. If the language said they could terminate the plan or adjust contributions at their discretion, I have no issue. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. I'm pretty anti-union. But, I'm also pretty in favor of giving your employees what you said you would.

Aktchi, Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. zphelj

zphelj Gold Member

Status Points:
    It struck me as a fair ruling though i'm not fit to judge really. I agree with ballardFlyer though and not necessarily pin this on Dougie at all; it is something we're going to continue to see more and more of and it has nothing to do with airlines.

Newscience and LETTERBOY like this.