Bangkok: Rooftop Dining Experience with a View

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by Kalboz, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are several fine dining establishments in Bangkok that are located either on the top floor or on the rooftop of hotel structures. In addition to the fine food, they offer expansive views of Bangkok. Although most of these restaurants/bars are very expensive, one should try them at least once, or have a drink at their bars which will put a smaller dent on your pocket book. Here are some of the places that I have enjoyed:

- Sirocco Restaurant & Sky Bar at Lebua at State Tower: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3791558032/
    - Vertigo Grill & Moon Bar at the Banyan Tree Bangkok: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rolandito/2303323978/
    - Red Sky at Centara Grand at WorldCentral: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnlembo/5298654399/
    - Three Sixty Lounge at the Millennium Hilton Bangkok: http://www.flickr.com/photos/asiacamera/3506285430/
    - Long Table at the Column Hotel Bangkok: http://www.longtablebangkok.com/
    - D'Sens French Restaurant at the Dusit Thani http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdellazuana/5387055048/
    - Le Normandie Restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3203572508/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/kalboz/3195365693/

Please share your thoughts about, or experiences with the above, or give us other suggestions for rooftop dining in Bangkok.

2. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    The food at Sirroco isn't known to be very good. But the view is amazing.

You happily left out the Baiyoke Sky Tower where you can get the view and eat some really mediocre grub. Also you have to pay for entrance. [​IMG]

Kalboz likes this.
  3. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    how is vertigo @ banyan tree?

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Mark.Dragon
    Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can also try Siam@Siam if your around the MBK:
    It have also some very nice Rooms and a amazing pool over the roofs of Bangkok!

http://www.siamatsiam.com/

Siam@Siam Design Hotel & Spa : 865 Rama 1 Road, Wang Mai, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330, Thailand

Kalboz likes this.
  5. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been to Vertigo.

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The food at Sirocco is absolutely delicious but fairly expensive as you are paying for the views and the memories ... I have had dinner at Sirocco at least ten times since 2005 and last time was July 2009, and I have never been disappointed. They serve gourmet food typical of food found at many fine 5-star hotels and restaurants in Bangkok.

http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/cnngo-best-eats-bangkoks-best-gourmet-restaurant-793244?page=0,2

All the above are highly recommended and are gourmet restaurants with excellent quality and fresh ingredients. Our orders at various times included lobster, foi gras, river prawns, scallops, etc. of the highest quality, taste, and presentation and hence the high price tag.
    [​IMG]
    Photo Source: Asiacamera: Distil Terrace
    When visiting any of the above establishments, make sure you have a camera handy but at Sirocco they won't let you use a flash at night for other guests privacy concerns. Get there early enough to take photos without flash and to watch the sunset.

Gargoyle, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's good ...

I've been there twice, for my birthday dinner in 2005 and again in March 2008 for drinks and small plates. The food is as good as any gourmet restaurant food with similar prices as Sirocco, but some issues worth mentioning:

- the constant humming sound of the building HVAC unit as it apparently is located somewhere close to the restaurant.
    - Lack of privacy during our second visit as tables here were so close to each other you can hear others' conversations.
    - No breath-taking layout (WOW factor) as with the dropping staircase found at Sirocco.

Nevertheless, great food with incredible views.

Chimpy likes this.
  8. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a great meal with some clients at Red Sky- however the prices were very high by Bangkok standards (table of 4 came to 20K BHT/400 EUR at the time). It may be better to visit for a drink and then go eat somewhere else- or just take it as a once in a while experience.

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.
  9. synd
    Original Member

synd Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the view at Sirocco, it's without a doubt the best in bkk, but the service is absolutely terrible there imo.

Kalboz likes this.
  10. I find the views at the Three-Sixty Lounge at the Millennium Hilton to be worth the visit.

Dan

Kalboz likes this.
  11. jpatokal
    Original Member

jpatokal Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO the food at all the rooftop restaurants above is wildly overpriced. Have your dinner elsewhere and go up for a drink, which will still be wildly overpriced, but will cause far less damage to your wallet (500-baht cocktail vs 5000-baht dinner).

Re: Baiyoke Sky Tower, at last check their views aren't actually from outside? The key about Vertigo, Sirocco and their new imitators is that you're actually outside, with no glass or reflections between you and view, which makes all the difference. (And also means you'd better check the weather forecast first!)

Kalboz and Chimpy like this.
  12. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I enjoyed dinner at breeze, the Asian dining restaurant located in the same building as sirocco.

The food was good and the views similar to sirocco. But the drama of walking out to the outdoor tables across the illuminated "bridge" was the highlight.

Kalboz likes this.
  13. haydensydney
    Original Member

haydensydney Silver Member

Status Points:
    When we stayed at the Banyan Tree a while back, we missed out on the rooftop restaurant: we were told that the bookings fill quickly - so my recommendation would be to get in early to make your reservations.

Kalboz likes this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe drinks here go for 300฿ (for Perrier mineral water or the likes) to around 500฿ for a fancy cocktail drink with premium brand alcohol, and many other options priced in between. That's around $10-$17 per drink. You will be offered a cocktail menu with prices listed for you to chose from. Considering that the average bar in Stockholm charges about $15-$20, for the same alcoholic beverages, IMO, the cost here is fair. Also, these are the same prices that you will find at any 5-star hotel lobby bar such as the JW Marriott, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Conrad Bangkok, etc. but here you also get the view ... after all, Lebua at State Tower where the Dome and its outlets are located is a fine better than 4-star hotel.

If you can afford it and don't mind splurging a bit, it's a great place to spend an evening. The same goes for the food menu. If you want the wow factor you pay for it. Otherwise its sitting on the curb sipping a 25฿ Archa Beer from 7-11.

Jimgotkp and Chimpy like this.
  15. Mangy
    Original Member

Mangy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually take friends and family to Vertigo if we happen to be in BKK at the same time. I find the food to be mediocre (as I find the hotel to be) but the view is great and truly vertigo inducing.

Kalboz, Chimpy and savydog like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure did leave out the rusty Baiyoke for reasons including the ones you stated (cover charge, lousy food, being indoors, etc.) ... but many tourists out there love the place [​IMG]

Chimpy likes this.
  17. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is it is only because they are unaware of the better places.

Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  18. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
  19. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Sirocco: In addition to the expansive views of Bangkok, the dramatic staircase (upper right) is what makes this venue a winner among its peers. Source: Asiacamera.

20. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sometimes get vertigo and felt a bit coming down that staircase ... dramatic is the right word. The views were breathtaking, but I did stay away from the edge around the bar, I thought I'd fall right over when I approached it.

21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The glass edge by the bar is scary ...
    [​IMG]

22. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Especially at night when it is all but invisible [​IMG]

23. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Coming out to those the stairs is one of the most breathtaking experiences I've ever had. Although I know that I'm nit going to fall over the glass railing around the bar it still makes me a bit queasy. I have colleagues who proposed marriage there. Well, one to the other.

Gargoyle likes this.
  24. Bowdoin
    Original Member

Bowdoin Active Member

Status Points:
    Ate at Sirocco about a year ago and had a wonderful meal-expensive as stated, but excellent. While the service was not memorable, it certainly was not bad. We had a great table right against the side of the building with a simply awe inspiring meal--perhaps one of the most unique locations ever. I am terrified of heights and while I had no problem dining, the bar was another story--I just could not do it as the bar is cantilevered over the side of the restaurant. My friend went out on the bar and thought it was great. For a truly unique setting, I would recommend the restaurant.

IMGone and Kalboz like this.
  25. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    [​IMG]
    Another shot of the dramatic staircase at State Tower Dome - Sirocco. This one is from the National Geographic.

hulagrrl210, kwai and Chimpy like this.