Bangkok: JW Marriott or Renaissance Ratchaprasong

Discussion in 'Marriott | Rewards' started by DCA1K, Jan 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Husband and I are traveling to BKK on leisure. Which hotel would you stay in? Prices are comparable. Has anyone stayed at both to compare?

Thanks!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. AaronInBKK

AaronInBKK Active Member

Status Points:
    Right now, JW would be a better choice if you are gold or platinum since Renaissance just temporally closed executive lounge.

3. DCA1K

DCA1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's very good to know. Thanks!

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do have several threads discussing this same exact issue here:

JW Marriott Master Thread: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/jw-marriott-bangkok-master-thread.14034/

Renaissance Bangkok: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/renaissance-bangkok-ratchaprasong-hotel.835/

Then we have JWM or the Renaissance: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...rasong-hotel-vs-courtyard-using-points.24870/

In order to answer your question, we need more information, like when are you visiting Bangkok? Status with Marriott? How long are you staying? What would you two like to do?

The Renaissance is closer to the elevated monorail system (BTS), but currently the biggest demonstration camp is just outside this property. The JWM is at least 200 meters from the nearest BTS station, but during the hot/humid/rainy months, you'd be soaked by the time you reach the train. Another option is the Marriott Bangkok Sukhumvit 57, a fairly new property located near Thong Lor BTS station and has an executive lounge in addition to rooftop venues. Details here: http://milepoint.com/forums/threads...partments-bangkok-sukhumvit-march-2013.53022/

[​IMG]
    Hotel lobby - Marriott Bangkok Sukhumvit 57

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really?

Is this because of low occupancy? Or, renovations?

uggboy likes this.
  6. AaronInBKK

AaronInBKK Active Member

Status Points:
    It was open when I was staying there couple weeks ago but friend of mine stayed few nights last week and told me it was closed due to low occupancy. Not sure how long will be stay closed. At this point most of hotels in Bangkok close either their executive/club lounge or breakfast buffet restaurant and only operate one of them due to low occupancy. I was just at Conrad Bangkok and Cafe@2 breakfast restaurant is closed and told to use executive lounge instated. :(

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
    Kalboz likes this.
  7. Singapore Flyer

Singapore Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting predicament. We are taking a wait and see approach but should I switch from renaissance to jwm? Going to be there in about 15 days.

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz likes this.
  8. AaronInBKK

AaronInBKK Active Member

Status Points:
    I am sorry for giving out wrong information. Although there are many hotels in Bangkok right now that club lounges are closed temporarily, Renaissance Ratchaprasong is not one of them. I just called and lounge is open as usual. My bad.

Kalboz likes this.
  9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your report was not wrong. Renaissance Bangkok did in fact suspended breakfast service in the lounge for the first week of the protests. Breakfast was instead being offered in the main restaurant for all lounge eligible guests which is more substantial. This has ended on Monday (January 20th) and the lounge is now back to normal as the demonstrations has fizzled out and not lived up to expectations!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    AaronInBKK likes this.