Bangkok Hotels

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Kalboz, Mar 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Garp74, Flying Bat, Chimpy and 4 others like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great idea for a thread Kalboz.

I will start with the Four Seasons Bangkok, which actually began life as the Peninsula, later was the Regent, and then finally became the Four Seasons.

The hotel has an interesting open air plan, which at first sounds like a motel (no roof over the two wings where many rooms and F&B outlets are) but actually works very well. The lobby is also beautiful- worth going to look at even if you are not staying at the hotel. You will notice a similarity with the lobby of the Pen in Hong Kong- for the reason as mentioned above. The lobby was completely remodelled and updated in 2010- however there was no change to the overall feel and look of the property except to update it.

My favorite rooms are overlooking the swimming pool- particularly the Premier rooms are beautiful with large walk in closets, well laid out bathrooms, a great desk to work at complete with a power bar (finally someone understands that 1 plug is not enough at a desk), and one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have found anywhere.

In Bangkok you can find many hotels with great and spacious rooms- however one area I feel the Four Seasons really excels at is service. This is not a new hotel- so the way it can- and does- compete is through very high quality service and good F&B.

The Japanese restaurant is very good, the steakhouse is one of the best in Bangkok, the Thai restaurant is great, and Aqua the bar has very good cocktails and service.

The hotel also has an executive lounge however I rarely bother with it because the overall service in the hotel and its F&B outlets are so good that I don't find a lounge necessary.

The one area I think this hotel can really improve in is the Front Desk. Service is often rushed, I have been told many inaccuracies which later need to be corrected, and they never welcome me back- even though there is always a card saying welcome back from the management in the room. Questions about rooms etc are also often dismissed. I really like this hotel a lot- if this one area could be improved I would never stay elsewhere in Bangkok.

Lastly- be sure to book through Virtuoso as you will get a good series of benefits.

The only other complaint I can think about is that recently (last year or so) the pool has been always full with familes and children- it is not really a complaint, but more a comment that if you want a quiet poolside area you probably won't find it here- the quietest pool I have found is actually not at a luxury hotel but rather at the perfectly good Plaza Athenee LeMeridien which is a 4* property on wireless road (head over to the Sheraton forum for discussions).

3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    As always, great review by TRAVELSIG :)
    [​IMG]
    Photo by Asiacamera of the Four Seasons Bangkok lobby ... maybe uggboy can share with us here some of his great photos of the beautiful lobby paintings and murals ;)

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Kal for posting the great photo.

My funniest moment at this hotel came a few months ago- while the lobby was being rennovated, there was a temporary desk at the far end of the lobby in the photo you are showing. When rennovations were completed, it was converted into a serving area/bar. I didn't notice the change, and walked up to a server who I thought was the conceirge and asked for a restaurant reservation, arrangement of a car, and advisement sent up to my colleagues rooms as to what time to meet.

The server didn't miss a beat- she took down all the information- walked over to the concierge desk- explained what I wanted- and then both of them walked back over to me with a written confirmation. It was only when they both walked over I understood my error. You won't find this level of service at many Bangkok hotels (or anywhere else in the world for that matter).

Final comment/only other area to improve (now that I remembered it)- Internet is overpriced and has silly pop up windows.

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Explorer Suite by Jim Thompson @ Four Seasons Hotel Bangkok​

Chimpy, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. Bonnie
    Original Member

Bonnie Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed two years ago in the same room at the Peninsula as Randy did! Only wish i could travel as much...and as well....as Randy!;)

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using Room 77 search engine for dates in May (used 5/11 - 5/15), I am getting the Four Seasons Bangkok for $169/night:

Flying Bat, uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  8. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. Does Four Seasons include breakfast? Or would top status member be better off at Conrad, St Regis etc with breakfast & lounge privileges

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Breakfast not included.
    Depends what you want- the Four Seasons is the Four Seasons.
    Conrad I really like as well but it is a 4* vs a true 5*- however you get lounge, free interent, etc if you are Diamond. Internet at Four Seasons is pricey which is more than a small irritant in my book.

SASDC8, uggboy, Chimpy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Diamond benefits at the Conrad are easily worth $100/night for 2 people - 2 hour drinks & apps, full hot breakfast in the restaurant, and internet

uggboy, Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  11. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless it is part of your rate, the Diamond breakfast benefit at the Conrad Bangkok is at the lounge and not at the 2nd floor buffet restaurant. Well, unless your kids misbehaved at the lounge and you were given the opportunity to partake at the restaurant. :)

IDGflygirl, uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  12. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed at the Conrad Bangkok in December and in January, I was told that I could have breakfast at my option in the lounge or in the restaurant. I ate in the restaurant and was not charged. My rate did not have a breakfast included in the rate.

uggboy, Chimpy and Kalboz like this.
  13. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    This must be a new development ... thanks for reporting! You might want to mention your experience in the Conrad Bangkok thread. :)

uggboy and Chimpy like this.
  14. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    4S Bangkok Organizing Cancer Care Charity Fun Run

uggboy likes this.
  15. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    In Travel + Leisure magazine 2012 World's Best Hotels, the Peninsula Bangkok came in number 11 with score of 95.72, while the Mandarin Oriental Hotel trailed at number 18 scoring 95.04. Two Chiang Mai resorts were further down the list, the 4SCM at #77, and the Mandarin Oriental Dhara Dhevi at #90.
    [​IMG]
    The view from the Peninsula Bangkok, photo by Prahin

Flying Bat, CrankyScott, synd and 2 others like this.
  16. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now showing the Four Seasons Bangkok deluxe room on Agoda for October 5-8 (3 nights) showing $136 per night. $157 with breakfast. Deluxe plus executive club with breakfast for $181.

uggboy, Flying Bat and TRAVELSIG like this.
  17. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI the Four Seasons also has a pay 2 stay 3 offer on as well which is stackable with Virtuoso benefits.

uggboy, Flying Bat and Kalboz like this.
  18. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Someone I know booked the Pen for $190 a night including all Virtuoso benefits. Bangkok (except for the MO, which thinks it is worth a lot more than everywhere else) has got to have the best value for money luxury hotel choices in the world!

In the picture above from the Pen, the low building almost exactly in the center across the river is the MO.

19. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is that rate something you feel able to point me towards?
    Thanks in anticipation

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  21. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mandarin Oriental scored # 41 in the 2012 Readers Choice Awards for the best hotel & resort in the world by Conde Nast Magazine: http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choice-awards/top-100-hotels-resorts-photos-slideshow#slide=41

While the St. Regis Bangkok came in at # 88 http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choice-awards/top-100-hotels-resorts-photos-slideshow#slide=88

And, the Peninsula Bangkok also at # 88 http://www.cntraveler.com/readers-choice-awards/top-100-hotels-resorts-photos-slideshow#slide=90

uggboy and estnet like this.
  22. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a 4 night reservation in January at the GH Erawan using my last Hyatt Diamond Suite Upgrade. Not expecting breakfast as no longer Diamond but it sounds like anything can happen. That said, still Hilton Diamond and did not consider the Conrad until this thread. Seems like lounge access could be a great deal.

Anyone (Kalboz?! ;)) want to compare the two? Should I stay put?

Kalboz likes this.
  23. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will compare the two:
    1) GH much better location than the Conrad unless you happen to be working on Wireless Rd. (in which case there is a good case your employer set up your accommodation anyway)
    2) I like the Conrad a lot- but the GH even more in terms of feeling and polish. GH is really a Five Star. Conrad 4.5.
    3) Lounge at Conrad is very nice however in the evening super busy in my experience. GH lounge is quieter and classier.
    4) Suite- I have had corner rooms a few times at the Conrad which are very nice- never a suite so I cannot comment. I have had a suite at the GH and it is definitely nicer than a corner room at the Conrad although the views at the Conrad are better for the most part (definitely not the case if you get a room at the GH where you can see the racetrack/golf course).
    5) Pool area- hands down winner GH.
    6) Connection to public transport- GH is connected to the BTS by covered walkway. Conrad you will have to take a shuttle bus or walk about 7 minutes- fine unless it is raining in which case the winner is GH.
    7) Conrad has excellent live jazz at night. GH has Spazzo. If you want nightlife- Spazzo is about as lively as it gets in Bangkok in a 5 Star hotel. Conrad definitely way way more toned down. I really like the jazz at the Conrad however to each his own.
    8) Spa: I have never been at the Conrad so I cannot fairly compare- although my favorite in-hotel spa in BKK is at the Four Seasons which is a 5 minute walk down the street from the GH.
    I guess it really depends in the end- when I have stayed at the Conrad it is because the prices have been excellent. The GH I consider one of the very top hotels in BKK. The Conrad is an excellent hotel and in other markets would be very welcome indeed- the BKK market is just that hyper-competitive in the luxury category that I give the Conrad 4.5 stars while I give the GH 5.

Garp74 and Kalboz like this.
  24. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow - that was fast!

We're all a bit crazy - happy to get a great deal but always looking for a better one. I'm staying put!

Again, many thanks.

TRAVELSIG and Kalboz like this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a wonderful visit to the City of Angels!

I understand about the difficulties of choosing a great hotel in Bangkok- there are simply too many choices- and none of them are wrong. If only more cities had this problem :)

Lastly- you are welcome!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.