Bangkok decision: IC or CP or HI

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by thrashsoundly, Jan 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

thrashsoundly Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm heading to Bangkok for four nights in May and staying on PC points. I do realize that, generally speaking, hotels are cheap in Bangkok and point stays do not give the best "value," but in my current financial situation if I didn't use points, I likely wouldn't be going.

Before the award price changes, I was trying to decided between the HI or CP there at 25K a night. However, after the change, the HI is down to 20K, the CP is still 25K, but to add a wrinkle, I believe the IC has dropped to 30K.

I am a PC platinum and aware that point stays usually aren't eligible for perks like upgrades. However, I've been successful and lucky getting platinum perks in the past on point stays in several locations.

So the question is, should I go for the HI or CP and possibly get a suite upgrade and elite treatment in a lesser quality hotel, or should I use a few more points and go for a standard room experience at the IC since I have no ambassador status?

I understand the fiscal point value in deciding between the properties, but I'm wondering how the overall experience would differ. If I had ambassador or RA status, it would be a no-brainer, but since I don't, I'm having a tough time deciding. Can anyone here who has been to these properties comment on their experience?

Thanks!

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. I'm going to be in the BKK IC in a week or so and will let you know how that is.

uggboy, Kalboz and thrashsoundly like this.
  3. man on the move.

man on the move. Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did silom road for about 40 per night for the old section 2 years ago. A club suite was 150! And super nice. I think I had about 6 stays over two years.

But for Thailand the real jewel is ko phi phi hi! I would go there to burn some points. Great cheap food options near by

4. Just stayed at the IC in BKK and found it to be very welcoming and quite nice. Friendly staff and a very nice lounge for RA's and nice restaurants/bars . The hotel location is quite close to all things one needs to see.
    There is a HI right next door that also looks quite decent although I didn't go inside.

uggboy, Kalboz and thrashsoundly like this.
  5. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update. As far as I can see, all of the properties get pretty good reviews, which makes the decision difficult. Maybe I'll contact the PC hotels and see what kind of amenities / upgrades they typically give to platinum members.

6. man on the move.

Status Points:
    or just go and try a few for a night and come back to the one you like best...

7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any updates on the beanies?

uggboy likes this.
  8. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Both the CP and HI Ploenchit got back to me, but my query for Platinum benefits may have been lost in translation with the CP personnel. They responded with a lot of info, but not exactly what I was looking for. I put in another request for info, so we'll see what I get back.

Meanwhile, the HI offered this information:

We are pleased to inform you about Platinum Member Benefits as below:

> Room upgrades ( where available)
    > Guaranteed room availability ( 72 hours in advance)
    > Priority Check-In , ensures your room and key are ready upon arrival
    > 50% bonus on base points .
    > Complimentary weekdays Newspaper.
    > Extend Check-out until 16.00 hrs.
    Seems pretty standard. I further inquired about club access, but they mentioned it is only available if you purchase a club room.

9. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update ... did you send the ICH Bangkok the same inquiry? That's the most coveted property and location, IMO! :)
    [​IMG]

uggboy and thrashsoundly like this.
  10. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I didn't inquire from the IC since they normally don't care about PC status and I'm not an Ambassador. The question for me would be is a standard room at the IC with no perks better than the possibilty of an upgrade and perks at a lesser property.

man on the move., uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  11. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    I go back and forth. It's been two years since I was there, but I did the Holiday Inn over the IC because I couldn't justify the extra points especially since I don't spend much time inside hotels when I'm in Bangkok. The two hotels are attached so location isn't an issue and the HI, while not an IC, is a pretty nice hotel.

I can't remember if I got a nicer room.

12. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the location is moot. I think the Hyatt, Four Seasons and Courtyard are all within spitting distance as well. The CP is a few blocks away and I'm not sure how big an issue that is.

Before the award values changed, the IC wasn't even on my radar for the added points expense. However since it dropped down to 30K, I'm strongly considering it.

man on the move., Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  13. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    FYI, I finally did get an e-mail back from the CP. They basically copy and pasted the platinum perks from off the PC website, so no additional helpful information was given.

I wish I had a Thai spy to go check everything out for me ahead of time. Oh well - decisions, decisions.

man on the move., Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  14. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at the HI Silom, IC and the HI next door. They try hard at the HI Silom, at times, but it's a bit of a second tier hotel. I know that as a RA there, I'd get a one room upgrade. So I'd book one level from the bottom, and get club access, which was decent there.

I never got much of an upgrade at the HI on Sukhumvit (or Rachawhatever it is), above a fruit plate. Haven't stayed there for a few years.

The IC is really nice. Love the lounge, and most of the staff is top notch. I was here for a couple of weeks during the red shirt "demonstrations" a couple years back, and they couldn't have been better. I like the pool on the top floor, especially at night.

Unless they are on PB, I wouldn't use points for any of these properties. You can find some nice deals on them if you look around a bit. I know the first time I stayed at the HI Silom, I found it for $33 on Priceline. This was 6-7 years ago. You can still get some value if you're creative, though.

uggboy and man on the move. like this.
  15. man on the move.

Status Points:
    I gent was negotiated rates at the front desk on silom road, and i think a room in the old tower was close to $25! Best deal i got was about $35 on the PC website. But for $120-150 i have had 2 room suites and club access! Treated us like royalty! I have to mention, those deals were during the swine flu scare, and red shirt demonstrations...

thrashsoundly and uggboy like this.
  16. man on the move.

Status Points:
    i am getting ready to book a few weeks in asia for the late summer / fall. So, Bangkok IC, Hin Hau, Ko Phi Phi (HI), Singapore and possibly vietnam / cambodia or something else. So i will be able to give update around then. Biggest question is to use points or pay. Probably points at HIs and pay at ICs to the RA benefits....

thrashsoundly likes this.
  17. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If paying for accommodations were an option for my financial situation, I'd certainly do it in Bangkok since the hotels there are usually pretty cheap. My 2 week trip to Asia is not something I'd ever dream of going on right now (maybe ever?), but it is possible because of miles and points.

18. MrAOK
    Original Member

MrAOK Silver Member

Status Points:
    Man on the move, hopefully that itinerary is more than "a few weeks." I don't believe ICG has much in Vietnam. At least it didn't on my two most recent trips there

19. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you mean IHG. And they have IC locations in Saigon and Hanoi, the last I checked. I think they are even adding another IC in Hanoi.

20. thrashsoundly
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Update: The new point breaks list came out today and the HI Bangkok is included, so basically my hand is "forced." :) Good timing - excited for my trip.