Bangkok Chinatown

Discussion in 'Thailand' started by guinnessxyz, Jan 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't get a chance to hang out in Chinatown on my last visit but definitely plan to the next time. The commercialized areas and shopping malls for expats/tourists are turning Bangkok and all the other cities of the world into the same thing.

Kalboz likes this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Chinatown Bangkok is a great topic to discuss here. Been there several times day or night since 2005. To get there, take a taxi, or the MRT subway and exit at Hua Lamphong Exit 1:
    [​IMG]
    The Neo-Renaissaqance style Hua Lamphong Station which was opened in 1916, is a great place to start your visit:
    [​IMG]
    You can also arrive by the THB 30 tourist express boat to Rachawongse pier and make your way down to the southern part of Yaowarat Road:​
    [​IMG]
    Next, I'd visit Wat Traimit (Temple of the Gold Buddha) which is on the way to Chinatown Gate if you are coming from MRT station (subway station):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

estnet likes this.
  3. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    After Wat Traimit, you will see Yaowarat Road. Starting at Odeon Gate this is the main attraction. This major thoroughfare snakes its way into Chinatown. At night this street full of food vendors and street-side restaurants:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Odean Gate; A feature seen in most Chinatowns, a gate devoted to the King of Thailand:​
    [​IMG]
    Next, the Thien Fah Foundation:​
    [​IMG]
    And the Chinese temple to make offering, burn incense, and/or do samsi:​
    [​IMG]

4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    For food, there are many street-side vendors packing Yaowarat Road day or night. Try also the Canton House for Dim Sum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    T&K Seafood along the sidewalk "restaurant" (the green restaurant) for great grilled river prawns:
    [​IMG]
    Or, you might want to try "the red restaurant" with basically the same quality food/prices located across the sidewalk from the green restaurant:
    [​IMG]
    You might also want to try duck beaks at Texas Suki :D
    [​IMG]

5. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    While going through Chinatown, you will experience an assault on all your senses!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mrs. Kalboz walking into Texas Suki where the beaks are served. This is on the same street where the dilapidated Bangkok hotel featured in "Hangover II" is located. For more photos, see here: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Chinatown&w=17726320@N03&s=int

estnet, iolaire and guinnessxyz like this.
  6. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    We walked around at night when we were there. We only really looked at the street food. The food scene is much bigger on the street than say NYC and worth a visit. We spent about 45 minutes to an hour walking around until we sat for some satay, other good looking options where soups and some dim sum type food. It was a seafood lover’s paradise (I’m picky with my seafood, I grew up a commercial fisherman in Alaska), lots of shark fin and bird nest soup advertised along with lots of prawns, other seafood, hotpots and the like.
    As Kalboz said:

eponymous_coward and Kalboz like this.
  7. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good observation iolaire, here is another article about this neighborhood: Last stretch of 'True' chinatown could vanish
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

estnet likes this.
  8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    chinatown is very different during the day and during the night. Daytime besides the food there are LOTS of things for sale (often at wholesale prices if you buy 3 or more - I've often purchased things by the dozen that weren't much more than buying 3 were other places. things like shoulder purses in bright oriental fabrics that make great gifts), lots of cheap cosmetics, wigs at 1/4 the price of large stores, mucho costume jewelry, etc. some of the streets are so crowded that you almost can't walk (and have to dodge the motorcycles, vendors with carts and watch out for your stuff (that is pickpockets).
    If you can stand the heat and the crowds there are some good deals to be had!

Kalboz and eponymous_coward like this.
  9. Sagegal

Sagegal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't a fan of Bangkok but I did love their Chinatown, I visited during the day and it was a hub bub of activity some how we wondered off the beaten path and came across a section where the trades people were crafting temples you see in homes and yards everywhere throughout Thailand to pay honor to Buddha and the King. It was an amazing process to see how these shrines were crafted and lacquered. I must have spend 45 minutes watching and after a while, I could tell the craftsmen were just as fascinated with me watching them as I didn't think too may tourists made their way to this area.

Kalboz likes this.