Banff on Rewards

Discussion in 'Other North America/non U.S.' started by nonstopski, Sep 24, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Miles aren't a problem. Flight is soon to be booked. But, accommodations on points is!

I have around 50,000 points on IHG, but the closest IHG hotel is near the airport, so not really nearby the actual town of Banff, where my friend lives.

I can stay at my friend's place, but on a couch. Which, as a 25 year old, I'm plenty happy doing. But If I could somehow get enough hotel points for a few nights in a low level place in Banff, I'd think about doing it!

Otherwise, I might do a few nights on his couch, and stay at a hostel some other nights.

Any tips or thoughts are appreciated, as always.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fairmont: Banff Springs Hotel and also, about an hour away and in a lovely setting, Chateau Lake Louise.

Otherwise the hotels seem to be locally owned.

There's an impressive modern conference center up the hill above Banff which rents out hotel rooms when they're not needed for conference participants, but these aren't particularly good value compared to regular hotel rooms. Still, you''re closer to nature and wildlife than lodgings down in the town.

3. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there such a thing as a lower level hotel in Banff??? We stayed in Canmore, because everything in Banff, makes Aspen look cheap.

YULtide likes this.
  4. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1. Canmore gives better value, and it's just outside the park. It does mean driving back and forth each day, though.

Fairmont properties in the park are very high end, with prices to match. Your IHG points won't go far there.

Mapsmith likes this.
  5. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you get between Canmore and Banff? Is there any kind of shuttle or public transit?

6. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a Best Western in Banff which is pretty good.

7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Looks like there are many ways to get between Banff and Canmore at regular hours.

8. YULtide

YULtide Gold Member

Status Points:
    The most convenient is to rent a car and drive. Note, you need a park pass to enter the park. You can buy a multi-day pass and then come and go as you please. Check on the value of a 1 year pass if you're staying more than a few days. It could be cheaper and lets you use any national park in Canada for a year.

Yes, but you will pay the in park premium. The point of staying in Canmore is it will save quite a bit per night. It comes down to a personal calculation of price versus convenience.

Incidentally, the Banff Hot Springs are open year round. Enjoy!