Ballmer: Windows Phone Sales Disappointing, Can Nokia Save the Day?

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by uggboy, Sep 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ballmer: Windows Phone Sales Disappointing, Can Nokia Save the Day?

Microsoft chief Steve Ballmer this week admitted that he's not thrilled with current Windows Phone sales, but pointed to the company's upcoming partnership with Nokia as a way to boost the platform's popularity.
    "I'm not saying I love where we are, but I'm very optimistic to where I think we can be," Ballmer said during Microsoft's Wednesday financial analyst meeting. "I think with a little bit more effort, a little bit more energy, the level of enthusiasm from the customer base is high enough we've just got to kick this thing to the next level."
    Microsoft unveiled its Windows Phone 7 lineup in the U.S. in October 2010. While the new OS received largely positive reviews, it has struggled to compete against Android and Apple's iOS, the current smartphone powerhouses.

[​IMG]

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2393027,00.asp

JohnDeere19 and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    Short answer, yes - but not fast enough.

Despite a declining market share, Nokia remains the leading handset manufacturer and platform in Europe according to data released this month (16% lead on market share over #2 Android, and Apple behind that). Nokia also has significant sales and market share in Oceania, EMEA and Africa. Further, the Tango release of WinMo targeting lower spec handsets will also help in the latter markets.

On the no side, Nokia's roadmap for moving a significant portion of their future handsets is far too slow to turn WinMo around in the near term.

Given Nokia's decision to dump Meego, they would have been far better releasing the soon to be launched N9 as WinMo. However, I speculate this handset was already too far along in the development for them to start the hardware platform again for WinMo, not withstanding changes that may be needed to their manufacturing and circuit design for different processors, etc.

Sent using my Roman era abacus

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nokia is still a strong market leader in EMEA (including Africa). The challenge will be converting their customers from basic "feature phones" to the more complex "smart phones" where presumably the advantages of the Windows platform will be exploited.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. thewinchester
    Original Member

thewinchester Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did mention the Tango version of WinMo, which is designed specifically for the low feature handset market. However, as what this will look like and contain hasn't been released, it's too early to speculate if this market segment will make the transition onto Tango-powered devices when the time comes.

5. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can see Windows Phone really pushing the corporate smartphone market with the potential for full smartphone/tablet/PC/software integration. Could ring the death knell for RIM.