Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook

Discussion in 'California' started by NileGuide, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. NileGuide - Local Insights for Global Travelers
    Located on Jefferson Avenue in Culver City, the 57 acre Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook park features a 511 ft elevation hilltop peak with a stupendous view. From this peak you can see downtown, the Pacific Ocean, and many of the various city centers along Wilshire Avenue. It really is a grand 360 degree view! Parking at the top of the hill is limited and costs $6. Most people park on Jefferson Avenue (for free) and hoof it to the top.
    There are a number of ways to make the ascent. If you are full of gusto can you can head straight up the rough staircase with 281 large steps. Alternately, there is a trail that zigzags across the hillside, crossing the stairs a number of times and making the ascent a lot less steep. Finally, you can walk up the paved driveway that leads to the small parking lot and the visitor’s center at the top.
    This parkland on was once home to oil pumps that tapped the Inglewood Oil Field, which lies beneath the earth here. Immediately to the south of this park, the 1,100 acre Baldwin Hills oil field (also called the Stocker oil field) remains active and produces some 3 million gallons of oil a year. You can get an OK view of these oil wells from here, especially if you walk to the far end of the parking lot. In the picture above you can see some of the storage tanks that are part of the pumping operation. More information and pictures of oil extraction operations in Los Angeles can be found in my posts Urban Oil Wells Part 1 and Urban Oil Wells Part 2; Part 2 includes a couple photos from the Baldwin Hills area.
    [Photos courtesy of Noah Albert]
    View Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook and more on NileGuide - Local Insights for Global Travelers.

Continue reading...
    KENNECTED likes this.
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

This is definitely on my list of things "to do" on my next visit to Los Angeles. Thanks for the tip!