Baggage rules being enforced again

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Garp74, Sep 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My last two weeks of travel have proven there is a new effort at UA to enforce bag sizes and limits. There added a screen to the online check in process for it, and at IAD, the gate agents have been told to visually inspect the bags in the gate area and call out those which are too big - proactively so before boarding.

MX and Newscience like this.
  2. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OLCI screen has been there for a while now - I've been clicking past it for at least a month or two.

It's still kind of hit and miss as to how they enforce it. I hope they're a bit nicer about it than the previous crack down back in March. It's one thing to politely ask passengers to check the size if there's doubt, or politely ask that the bag be checked when it's obvious. It's another to start yelling at passengers over the PA system about it like I saw go down at IAD on a couple of flights in late February/early March when the current generation of sizers first appeared, or to demand that every single bag be put in a sizer as boarding passes were scanned like I saw once at the same airport a few weeks later (which greatly slowed down boarding).

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    First class passenger is unhappy they made her gate check her bag. Now she's complaining to the FAs that it will fit fine.

Didn't know about the new screen - I've used the app almost exclusively until last night

[edit: FAs won't let it on. Say it's a security issue.]

Flyer1976, SomeDay and Newscience like this.
  4. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    How big is it?

5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry I'm already seated in 6A on a 752 - I can't see a thing :(

6. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    No worries.

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the OLCI screen has been there for months now.

I also saw IAD agents walking around the gate and asking people to check the size of their bag before boarding. Some did it willingly and some did it with a horrible look on their face like, "Gate agent..I want to kill you". Ultimately everyone who checked their bag size was "OK" to board with it.

I, too, hope the gate agents are being nice about it.

-Rob

8. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've seen this too even at my small local airport. No bags are safe!! ;)

WilliamQ likes this.
  9. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had an AA agent a couple years ago say my bag was too big. I polity said it was fine and it was fine on my two flights to SDQ and the flight back to MIA from SDQ only a couple hrs earlier but she was positive it was too big. So....I calmly walked up and dropped it into the sizer and had an inch clearance all the way around. She walked off without saying a word. The FA that was standing there did think it was sort of funny though.

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

8MiHi, SomeDay, ssullivan and 3 others like this.
  10. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    These reports tempt me to take a grossly oversized carry-on that is silly compressible - maybe a bag filled with several feather pillows. Or beach balls.

Firmly insist that it fits in the sizer, despite visual inspection clearly saying otherwise. Then demonstrate that it fits in the sizer.

desamo, SomeDay, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are a prankster :D... but if you really want to do that... (and incur the potential wrath of the Gate Keepers) just crunch up some newspapers. they will create the size but easily be crushed down to "nothing".

desamo, Mapsmith, Flyer1976 and 3 others like this.
  12. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    And make a sound like something is breaking, as well.

Flyer1976 and WilliamQ like this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Once one gate checks a bag and it leaves the jetway then it becomes a security issue to bring it back.

desamo, Garp74 and Mapsmith like this.
  14. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The FAA requires carry on rules; each airline determines what those rules are and then the FAA approves them. Failure to comply with those rules can result in fines, for the airline by the FAA. We are also to ask the FAs for assistance in advising us when the bins become full before checking in bags that fit the sizing boxes. We are also to preview the carry on bags prior to boarding and during boarding. If a bag looks too big we will ask you to demonstrate that it is ok by using the sizing box. Once a bag is checked it can no longer be brought back to the gate area, due to security rules. (You can check any amount and size of liquids in a checked bag but not in a carry on bag.)

desamo, 8MiHi, Garp74 and 5 others like this.
  15. wombat18
    Original Member

wombat18 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fully support bag size limits, as long as they are uniformly and politely enforced.

But, we have to remember that airlines have made this problem worse by encouraging more people to carry-on without increasing the size of bins. Taking it out on passengers is insulting. Just as gate agents get grumpy when yelled at, so do passengers.

16. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    They have increased the size of many bins. So there's that.

17. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    why can Alaska return bags gate checked by elite members to the jetway?

18. COFreqFlyer
    Original Member

COFreqFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Observation from our RTW trip.... have been able to do carry-on for every segment, UNTIL we reached the NZ flights. Their carry-on policy is anything over 7kg must be checked. Yeah, 7 kilos. 15.4 pounds. My regular carry-on (LuggageWorks Stealth-22 Crew bag) on this trip happens to weigh 16 kilos. It meets all of the LH, SA, TG, SQ, and UA carry-on requirements, but *HAS* to be checked on NZ.

We Americans just don't consider how nice we really have things. I can just see how apopleptic 99% of the American flying community would become if we had to follow these far more restrictive rules/policies.

sfo1, Photonerd71, IDGflygirl and 4 others like this.
  19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same reason it works on smaller RJs or with strollers & wheelchairs. If the bags are appropriately tagged and managed in the process then they're still "secure" even after going in to the hold. If they're not tagged that way then they stay below.

desamo and Flyer1976 like this.
  20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As @sfogate stated "The FAA requires carry on rules; each airline determines what those rules are and then the FAA approves them."

Each airline has it's own process and they have to follow it to the letter. :-:

21. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can you cite an example of any airline ever being fined for not doing so?

22. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, I can't nor do I know where to even look it up. I did asked the department in charge of this (at UA) and I was informed that the FAA does audits and they do send letters. Whether or not actual fines are handed out doesn't matter. It is a FAA requirement and we are to follow it.

desamo, IDGflygirl, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  23. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your key word: UNIFORMLY....I just don't see that happening..ever

24. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just a side note regarding the 7kg carry on limit. I just flew Air Asia and my carry-on fits perfectly in their sizer, and to insure that I could carry it on, I put so much in my Jacket pockets, pants pockets etc. The carry-on weighed 6.8kgs but after putting everything in my pockets it ended up weighing 6kgs. As soon as I checked in and got the ok to carry it on, I went into the washroom and put everything back in the carry-on. So there are ways around it.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  25. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    right so other airlines can do this too

WilliamQ likes this.