Baggage fees US Air

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by brucewil, Oct 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Both my wife and I have Barclays US Air MC. It was my understanding that we both get a free bag on flights as well as priority boarding and check-in. My wife spoke to to CSA's and both said no. One said unless we were flying FC, and the other said that not on domestic flights and Aruba counted as Domestic???

Any one have other info or experience with this? Thanks for any help.

Thanks for your help

2. Blue Skye
    Original Member

Blue Skye Silver Member

Status Points:
    i just read through the T&C for the card. nowhere in them does it say "one free bag" or similar wording. the CSRs were correct about the bag issue. the only way to have that waived is if you have status with them or another airline that gives you a free baggage allowance. about boarding and check in, it states that you may use the preferred check in lines/kiosks, and that you may be allowed to board with Zone 2.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most others (united, american and delta) offer 1 waived checked bag with their credit card. US airways does not.

How many bags are you planning on checking? How many miles are you flying on US airways and how many do you plan to fly in a 90 day period?

I would consider signing up for their trial preferred program (or if you know an elite, they can gift you a trial membership after a certain threshold). It costs $200, but you get silver status right away, and depending on how much you fly on US airways after, you get to keep silver for the rest of the year or potentially a higher status. Full details are available on the US airways site, but the key benefits include 1 free checked bag per person on your itinerary, access to exit row seats and potential for first class upgrades). Depending on your route and day of the week, US's upgrade chances are quite good.

4. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks both of you for the info. I fly AA most of the time as I am lifetime Plat there. I don't pay for checked bags on AA. For some reason, I thought one of the perks of the US Air card was a free checked bag. It's really not a big deal since the tix are paid with points. US Air flies non-stop from PHL-AUA. No other carriers do. I'm all about convenience and getting there quickly. The whole concept of mattress runs and mileage runs is completely foreign to me. I just thought the CSA'S didn't know what they were talking about when it came to the fees! Lol.