Baggage Fee Schenanigans- Overcharged B/c I bought my tix from AA

Discussion in 'Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan' started by hulagrrl210, Aug 29, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently flew SJC-LIH on Alaska but purchased the tickets from American Airlines (they were cheaper than AS). Upon check in the agent charged $25 for checked bags instead of the usual $20. AS metal, AS Mileage Plan number on the account (I currently don't have elite status). I reviewed the Alaska webpage and found no mention of having to pay an extra $5 because I ticketed with another airline and am now starting to think I was overcharged/ripped off. I noticed bag fees are increasing to $25 but that does not take effect until October. Curious if anyone else has anyone else had this experience?

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were you distracted during the check-in or just not comfortable asking the agent who quoted you that price?
    (I don't know the answer, but would be curious myself).

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA flight number or AS flight number? If it's a codeshare and you flew on an AA flight number, the correct charge is $25. If it's an AS flight number, even on AA stock, it should be $20.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Traveling with an 18-month-old (That might answer your question) ;) To be honest I never really thought twice about it until after, because while I was aware that there was a baggage fee increase, I didn't know the date it went into effect until I looked it up.

5. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to double check my ticket. That seems incredibly odd to me. Do you happen to know where that might be published?
    I always thought baggage fees/rules always go by the carrier you check in with, ie when I've traveled United with the first leg on Hawaiian I had to pay the $10 (now $17) inter-island baggage fee even though I was Premier Exec. Similarly, that was a United codeshare flight, ticket purchased from United, Hawaiian metal.

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Boarding passes and baggage receipts both have AS flight numbers on them. The only place it says AA is in fine print under "fare calculation" on the receipts

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is email their customer service then...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    AA has a bag fee problem. LAX T4 agents tried to hit me for $25 per bag to HNL on AA metal in spite of being an AAdvantage Citi card holder. The AA system recognized my cardholder privilige because it printed on my tickets "Priority AAccess." I complained to AA about this and am waiting on response.

9. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA recently charged me a $25 fee despite having my AS MVPG card. AS took care of the problem because AA did not (I was prepared to dispute the charge).

10. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    One thing to keep in mind is the low price guarantee on AS. If you find the same AS flight on another website for at least $10 less, fill out the form here https://www.alaskaair.com/price-guarantee with a screenshot of the lower price and after they verify it, you'll get a $100 discount code for your next flight.

11. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within 24 hrs only though?

12. thesterlingtraveler

thesterlingtraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but if you know it is cheaper on a different website before you book it then it's an easy $100. Correct me if I am wrong hulagrrl, but it sounds like you knew it was cheaper on aa.com or 3rd party.

13. timfrost

timfrost Silver Member

Status Points:
    I sort of hate to bump this up but I fly every single week codeshare on AS from LAX to SEA for work. I buy through AA to get the double miles on my credit card and book with an AA flight number. The boarding pass has my AS flight number... again every single week. With AA status I don't pay for checked bags but in the fare rules it says "AA baggage fees apply to this itinerary" which would mean you should be and were correctly charged the higher $25 as the AA fee is $25. The image below is for an upcoming reservation I have for a codeshare flight on AS booked with AA. The information is actually inaccurate as I can check two bags free of charge, but it is showing the general AA rules. On check-in when it asks how many bags I wish to check it shows both 1 and 2 free of charge and 3+ as "fee applies."

Hope this sheds a little light on the situation. Sadly, I don't believe you were overcharged in this particular case though the previous responses regarding the lowest price guarantee would apply in the future.

Attached Files: