Baggage contact info

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Paula Johnson Hamblen, Dec 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Paula Johnson Hamblen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have the name and/or contact information for Vice President of baggage service?

YULtide likes this.
  2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Por que?

We love a good story here on MP. ;)

3. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had the baggage story from Hell this year, and I have found that UA insulates us from anyone with any power in this area. Not knowing your story, I can't comment with regard to your issue, but I was continually redirected to the manager in charge of baggage at DFW - the location at which my destroyed bags arrived.

This may be UA's worst area of customer service. The local managers are in charge of resolving all issues, and they have many other responsibilities to cover as well. In my case, I was a lot less angry with the DFW manager's lack of response when I learned that he had only 4 hours per week to deal with baggage resolution. He turned out to be a great guy who was simply being asked to do more than humanly possible.

Knowing that, of course, did not help me in the moment. The moment turned into months and significant out-of-pocket expenses awaiting reimbursement. In the end, I got reimbursed for two bags which exceeded their written limits policy, $300 for my inconvenience and an extra bag that they had on hand for replacements.

It took persistence, time and determination to resolve, and it made their lack of concern for our inconvenience painfully apparent. Writing a DOT complaint after several weeks of waiting did seem to speed up the process. I have never filed a DOT complaint before or since and consider it a last ditch effort, but in this case it was appropriate.

I hope you have better luck getting it resolved in a more timely fashion. Stay the course, and you'll likely end up with it resolved to your satisfaction.... Eventually.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Status Points:
    Thirty people n a UA express flight from SFO did not receive bags. Yesterday we were told it had arrived and was in transit to hotel. When the bags arrived none of the bags belonged to any guests at the hotel. As of now, UA does not know where bag is located. Into day three of four day ski vacation.

YULtide likes this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh my.... That sounds like different version of the baggage story from Hell. They can't make this right - no matter what they do. I hope you hold firm for some significant compensation. I also hope you didn't have anything irreplaceable in your bags. Sounds like they may never find them.

6. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    We do not have a VP of Baggage Service that I am aware of. SFO has had massive delays and cancellations due to severe weather since Friday. Today, Monday, is the first day with sunshine. Did you contact the 1-800 number for our baggage resolution department for approval to rent skis and/or purchases replacements items?

8MiHi likes this.
  7. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, so, so glad I left Thursday.

8. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have no idea how horrible it was for customers and agents alike on Friday. Most agents didn't leave work until after 3:30am, and their shifts ended at 11pm.

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    So sorry for everyone. That sounds awful.

10. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Status Points:
    Agents at the 800 number were less than helpful. Purchased a few items but it was frustrating when we thought bag was in transit to hotel only to find out much later after stores were closed that in was MIA. Too bad UA doesn't have a better luggage tracking system.

11. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Status Points:
    At one point I had a supervisor on the phone late at night and he asked if I would wait up and he was going to try and contact SFO directly and would call me back in two hours. Finally, a little after midnight I gave up and went to sleep never heard back from him. Would have been nice if he could have called back even if he didn't have any info

12. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have a great baggage tracing system if the rampers scan the bags as they are loaded and unloaded from the aircraft. SFO was experiencing miserable weather on 12-21 and perhaps the guys on the ramp were only interested in speed to get bags off the plane and into the dry baggage claim area and choose not to scan. It is often difficult for local baggage service agents to be available to check on lost bags as they are often too busy taking delay claims and have long lines in front of them, especially during the holiday season.

13. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Status Points:
    It isn't so great if two days ago we were advised system was showing out for delivery and a few hours later no one seems to know where it is and it was clearly not out for delivery since it did not arrive until today. Also the flight was on the 22nd and not 21st. A significant breakdown in system and what is the excuse for the supervisor not calling back as promised? We realize things go wrong but the constant misinformation was truly unbelievable. Also, what was the excuse for luggage being delivered to our resort that did not belong to anyone at our resort. At that point we were concerned our luggage had been delivered to the wrong place. It was a calamity of errors.

14. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry errors have been made and your luggage is still delayed.

15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seeing all this makes me wonder how long until we have simple RFID tags in bag tags so that no one has to forget to scan them...they can scan themselves...with that $25 bag fee each RFID tag (at less than 10 cents) would only be a tiny part and the readers would be embedded on the baggage handlers so when they are near the bag it is scanned.

Someone please shoot down this idea and tell me why it isn't possible.

Ygor likes this.
  16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew out of SFO on 12/21. And I live in the area. Yes, it rained that day. Not even particularly hard most of the time. (I hear it got worse over the weekend?). Rain is not something unusual this time of the year for the Bay Area and the rampers surely are used to it. If I had a checked bag, I would definitely appreciate any attempts to minimize their time exposed to rain, but surely there are standard procedures to follow as to how bags are scanned when it rains. Perhaps when they are loaded on/off the baggage trailers (for narrow bodies), in the dry confines of the "bowels" of the terminal building?

A self-service system for customers to track "live" where the bag currently is would be useful.

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Old UA once tested RFID tags several years ago.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2009-02-02-airport-check-in-travel_N.htm

Google tells me other carriers had trials, too.

18. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Delta has that on their iPhone app. You can check where your bag is based on where it has been scanned...useful to know if the bag made it on your short connection or late check-in.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  19. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bags that are lost/damaged can ruin the travel experience for any passenger who checked them. This extends far beyond the airport experience.

We are reading here about only one case where a passenger's trip was severely inconvenienced, yet it extends to many others. Not only those who shared her flight, but also each passenger who had their bag delivered to the OP's hotel by mistake. They, too, were looking for their luggage somewhere.

With today's technology and systems management skills, there is no reason for such a serious blunder to occur. I am sure, however, that it happens every day. UA needs to eliminate stories like these from ever happening in the first place, and quick. It's inexcusable.

I'm not insensitive to the challenges that face airport personnel when weather makes standard procedures a challenge. This fault lies at the feet of those who make service policy decisions, along with those in charge of managing the people responsible for carrying said policies. Until one has experienced how disruptive and inconvenient en event like this can be to a paying passenger (and it doesn't take much imagination to see it even without going through the actual experience), the resulting misery is difficult to comprehend.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The tags are the cheap part. The system to do the "auto-scanning" is not.

skyvan likes this.
  21. Paula Johnson Hamblen

Status Points:
    Back at airport. Check in agent told us the bags from our flight the other day was the biggest mishap they have had in years. 49 bags from our flight were lost/ delayed and apparently bags from another flight somehow ended up n Jackson.