Baggage Claim Etiquette

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by KenInEscazu, Mar 5, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone else ever considered how much easier it would be to claim checked bags if everyone stood back at least 6 feet from the conveyor? It seems that I am often having to push my way in between people who are standing AT the conveyor waiting for their bag(s).

If everyone would stand back until they see their bag(s), the process would be so much less stressful. I have often wondered why airports and airlines don't encourage this behavior with signs, stripes on the floors, recorded announcements, etc.

This reminds me of how some people try to board an elevator before those exiting can depart. I wonder if this behavioral deficiency is more intellectually, characterologically or culturally based? Whatever the reason, it sure does cause frequent inconvenience.

2. javman08

javman08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didnt you get the memo, The closer you are to the belt the quicker your bags come!!!!! :D

3. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    My baggage claim etiquette: don't check a bag! :p

sobore, General_Flyer, deant and 7 others like this.
  4. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    All snark aside, I do think you make a good point!

5. Mr. Silver Springer

Mr. Silver Springer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I only try 3 feet back - :D

General_Flyer, CharlesG and autolycus like this.
  6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the rare instances that I check my bag, I find an empty spot next to the conveyor. At that point I've waited long enough for the luggage to be offloaded and just want to be on my way. When priority handling works the way its supposed, I'm out of everyone's way pretty quickly.....at the end of a 8-10 hour flight, I have little interest in extending my experience ;).

sobore, General_Flyer and CharlesG like this.
  7. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your idea is good, but people won't pay attention to stripes on the floor. Watch the people at Immigration who don't understand what Stay Behind The Yellow Line means. :). Most of them don't seem to remember what the bags they packed that morning look like, so a stripe on the floor wouldn't compute. Just don't check bags.

And, please, please, no more annoying announcements in the airport. Judging by the 3-1-1 announcements beyond security you would now be hearing "For you safety and the safety of others stand back from the conveyor belt" in the parking lot, the airline lounge, and on the plane. Please no.

(And yes, I'm having a bad day. Hope yours is a good one.)

8. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same logic applies to gate lice

DTWBOB

9. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good input. I didn't give this a lot of thought before writing. It was intended as more of a rant, as there really is no solution. Just something that irritates me every time I'm trying to snag my Priority-tagged bags through the swarms of those with less experience than sense. It felt good to put it in print. :D

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Still, just acting like gate lice is nothing compared to what I once saw at BOS. Some lady was grabbing bags as they came down the shoot, opening the top or outside pockets, and sticking heer hands into the bags. When I pointed this behavior out to a cop who was standing at the baggage claim exit (truly one of Boston's finest who was quite oblivious to what was obviously going on right under his nose), the response was that she was examining the contents in order to identify her own bag. She was allowed to continue doing this! Who knows what she stole from the bags she was examining. Incredible!

11. smokescreen
    Original Member

smokescreen Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm reminded of an old saying that I used to hear all the time at my previous place of employment years ago..

"NOT MY YOB!" ;)

General_Flyer and CharlesG like this.
  12. Jeff the Wanderer

Jeff the Wanderer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like to climb right on the conveyor while waiting for bags. That helps me stay out of everyone's way. As an added bonus, I get a workout that is kind of like a cross between a treadmill and an obstacle course as I try to jump over all the bags and stay in one place. If they were to put a line 6 feet back, I bet with a good running start, I could still jump and make it to the conveyor.

13. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree, and I do stand back six feet. But it bothers me more when people block the elevator. Even worse is when they don't move, as though I, the person trying to exit so there's room for someone new, am somehow obligated to squeeze by them. This happens very frequently in my lab building. I think most scientists have some kind of defect, at least more frequently than in the general population.

14. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotta second the "no more announcements" theme. Clearly, those who decide to make the announcement never try to listen to it as a consumer - most are unintelligible, and just annoying.

Agreed on the "stand back" point. But, usually, I just wait behind the front, eager row, and when I spot my bag(s), I just say "excuse me" and barge in and unload and move out. I think people want their spot in that front row, but they understand about relinquishing it for a moment for someone to grab a bag, as long as they expect to get it right back.

15. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I dunno about that last part. I've had plenty of people who essentially pushed their way to the front row refuse to give way to someone coming from behind. A line on the floor might help. It certainly couldn't hurt. I agree that announcements would be awful. Perhaps a line and some diagonal stripes inside of 4-5 feet indicating clearly that the area close to the carousel is not for people waiting but for people actually grabbing their bag.

I'm to the point where I'm going to just start shoving people out of the way. I'm usually pretty quick to get to the carousel compared to a lot of the plane. I stand a few feet back from the carousel, and inevitably, people force their way into the area 1-2 feet in front of me. It's just plain rude to park yourself RIGHT in front of someone else when there's tons of space around the person. After a flight I'm often in the place of mind where I respond to rude with more rude. It's bad, I know, but it's true. So, next time someone does that to me, I'm just going to start clucking at them and shoving them out of the way when I see my bag.

16. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This thread made my morning! I have this exact thought EVERY time I have to check a bag (not often, but sometimes I have to!) I honestly don't believe that a stripe would work unless you had airport employees enforcing it (unlikely). I always see people sitting on the edge or letting their kids climb all over the baggage claim despite announcements to keep off the moving belt! I hate having to push through to get my bag, but it is what it is.

17. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's crazy! I remember in China every airport I flew through they had people checking your baggage tickets (the ones they give you when you check-in) against the tags on the physical bags and non-passengers could not get into the baggage claim area. I don't know if it's changed since then. Made me wonder what was stopping someone from taking a nice bag off the carousel in the US and walking out with it!

sobore, General_Flyer and CharlesG like this.
  18. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hear ya - just rise above, my friend. Fight rudeness with kindness. Even if it has no effect on them, it has a good effect on you.

Not always easy to do for me - especially after a flight. But I try.

19. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe the TSA should be brought in to help make our travel experience safer. :eek: They could cordon off the conveyor and allow access to the belt to 10-12 people at a time. Once those people have selected their bags from the 200 or so spinning around, the next group of 10-12 could be allowed access. It might take a little longer, so of course they would need a priority lane for people like us. :)

20. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find that when people crowd up right at the conveyer belt, I must do the same in order to have any hope of seeing my bag when it arrives.

21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The ones who scare me block the far end of escalators and moving walkways. Sometimes one must get off by almost shoving them aside.

General_Flyer, CharlesG and autolycus like this.
  22. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't remember doing this in China, but at one time it was pretty common in certain major USA airports such as ATL, NYC, LAX, SFO, places where I might have assumed that theft would be more likely.

General_Flyer and CharlesG like this.
  23. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    While on the flight, being 6'2" is a liability, this is where it comes in handy.

24. below sea level
    Original Member

below sea level Silver Member

Status Points:
    Every. Single. Time.

When I see my bag, I excuse myself while getting to the belt to take it off. However, I don't excuse myself if anyone is still close enough to be hit as my bag swings off the belt when I collect it.

25. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    No.. That's not the Southeast Asian way.. :p (Well excluding Singapore at times.. ;))

CharlesG likes this.