Baggage allowance

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Juanefny, Nov 14, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Juanefny

Juanefny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do people flying from JFK-STI get one free bag? I find the aa baggage allowance website ultra confusing. My parents are the ones flying...

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Doesn't seem very confusing to me. AA website says 1 checked bag at no charge, plus one carry-on and one personal item in the cabin. :)

LINK.

Travel to/from Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda, the Bahamas, Central And South America

Number of Bags Allowed*

One personal item: No charge
    One bag carry-on: No charge
    One bag checked: No charge

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  3. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    How about if I fly from HKG-NRT-LAX-DFW-PHL with a stopover in LAX? For the HKG-NRT-LAX portion, I know Y pax will get 2 x 23kg free. But how about the LAX-DFW-PHL portion? Will pax given 2 x 23kg free allowance because he is traveling from Asia even with a stopover?

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it's the same PNR then yes, it should carry forward. Primarily because you'd have to claim them and recheck in LAX anyway due to customs.

JALPak and jbcarioca like this.
  5. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    but the bags won't be tagged through because of the stopover. It should still be fine?

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. The originating or destination city on the PNR determines you entitlement, in addition to class and status.

First and Business are entitled to three bags checked free.
    Flying to/from Brazil each bag can weigh up to 32kg/70lb. Elsewhere it is 23kg each.
    Whatever was your departure or destination entitlement applies to the entire PNR regardless of how many stops and layovers. So, for example, if you're doing RTW that includes Brazil the entire itinerary will allow you 32 kg per bag.

I do that often, and i use that 32kg on nearly every trip carrying cases of wine and otehr stuff home to Brazil.

If you have no status and you're in economy the only time I have seen free added bags has been with an oversold flight, and that has been only to get carryons out of the cabin.

JALPak likes this.