Baggage Allowance Policy on RTW?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by General_Flyer, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. General_Flyer
    Original Member

General_Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an RTW (my first one) coming up, and kind of wondering about luggage policy on both carry ons and luggage.

Is the rule based on most significant carrier, or most significant segment?

Thanks!

cennas likes this.
  2. Omikron

Omikron Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one definitely seems like a question you might want to ask the reservation line directly. It might not be a single rule, but rather the rule for each operating airline when you check your bags.

mattsteg likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I'd expect. Whoever you need to check in with and hand over your bags to will likely control the checked-bag allowance. Carry-on will depend on each segment. I do not expect that the RTW nature of the ticket will come into play at all.

4. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Indeed.. It's going to be rather difficult if I'm trying to satisfy every carrier's rules.. Especially when flying 5 of them back to back to back..

Hmm... I'd expect something more coherent than multiple rules on multiple segments..

cennas likes this.
  5. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my previous RTW tickets in C or F, it showed the check-in bags are based on pieces. It showed 2PC in the PNR. Carry-on from past experience it varied. Most international flights I could do a roller bag and computer bag. But when my travel included domestic segment in New Zealand, I remembered, the carry-on bag rule was stricker, since I had to check-in my rollerbag. Of course domestic US was no problem with a rollerbag and one computer bag.

If you look up StarAlliance website, you will find this:

Baggage Allowance
    • For your Round the World Fares, the piece concept will apply for the entire journey. In economy class you may allow for one (1) piece of baggage at the weight of 20kg, business class travel allows for two (2) pieces at a combined weight of 30kg and first class two (2) pieces at a combined weight of 40kg may be checked free of charge for the whole itinerary. Note: When a journey is for travel solely within North America, charges may apply from the first checked bag.
    • In some instances individual carriers may apply a higher free baggage allowance. Please refer to individual carriers for potential baggage charges and more information should you require additional allowance.

cennas and General_Flyer like this.
  6. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hmm... Interesting! Thank you, SQ LPP! Have to do more research on Carry-ons.. :)

7. SQ LPP
    Original Member

SQ LPP Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carry-on? I believe the normal carry-on rule for each airlines involved is applied. One 20' rollerbag and one computer/hand bag is the norm.

2wheels and General_Flyer like this.
  8. General_Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Unless it's SQ which allows me 2.....