Bag check cutoff when flight is late

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Maximizer, Jun 16, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Maximizer

Maximizer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since when is the cutoff 45 minutes at SFO? I thought it was always 30 minutes. Anyway, just wanted to share my experience because it was not smooth and this might help someone.

I arrived around 50 min before scheduled departure, and got into the porter line outside. By the time I got to the guy he said "I cannot check you in, you are within 45 min window, go inside". But my flight was delayed, and was definitely well outside of 45 min window of the new expected departure time. So I go inside to the bag drop machine, and it says that it cannot check my bag. I turned to two different employees, and both directed me to "additional services" at the other end of the terminal, which was a small zoo. One added "you cannot take this flight and will have to rebook". But there was a ticketing agent right next to the bag drop, although there was a small separate line to get to her. Fortunately, this moved fairly quickly, and she was able to check me in without an issue.

So bottom line:
    The bad: the machine doesn't care about expected departure due to delay, the cutoff really is X minutes before original scheduled departure.
    The good: if your flight is delayed then you are in luck, a human can check you in. Skip the machine and go straight to a live agent.

2. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    I definitely don't like the airports with the 45 minute bag cutoff. I really hope more airports fall off this list.

{http://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/airport/process/default.aspx}

For example - why is JFK on this list. The terminal is rather small and they have operations to 3 destinations (SFO, LAX and UAX to IAD). This cutoff was properly from the time UA had significant international operations at JFK (LHR, HKG, NRT, etc).

This makes sense for large complex operations at UA where the bags really do need extra time. I really hope UA works to streamline those operations. E.g. the midlevel check in at EWR where oversize bags sit on a cart and thus need extra time, or potential terminal changes at opposite ends of the airport (EWR C->A, SFO T3->T1). The airports with the trains annoy me the most (no fault of the airline) - but the long distances and guaranteed waiting really slows down the process (DEN, ATL, IAD, LAS etc). Having a train seems to be popular with these airport authorities, but I really prefer the layout of ORD ,DFW, SFO, YYZ, PHL, CLT, where they can handle large hubs while maintaining reasonable walks from the curb wit no train.

3. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think JFK is very much on the 30 minute mark. Though I could be mistaken. I've checked bags under 30 before

4. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    For years, I think.

I got burned a couple weeks ago when UA had ONE agent working the first class/1K/GS line(s) at SFO. The fifteen+ minutes waiting to talk to her meant missing the flight. Grump.

5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three years ago returning on the Sat after Thanksgiving I had the SBN UA agent argue with me over a minute - where the minute hand on the clock was - and then refuse to check my bag because I was late. He also insisted that I could no longer take that flight. I was already checked in told and "reassured" the agent that I would be on that flight. But I still had my bag, what to do..... I took my bag to security and ran it through the be belt (soft bag that that fit after removing some stuff). I was going to gate check that thing! I eventually get to the gate and lo and behold, it's the same agent working the flight. I suggest that my bag might not fit in the overhead of the RJ and ask to gate check it. The agent folds this time and all is well.

Cheers

LizzyDragon84 likes this.
  6. AnthonyB1609

AnthonyB1609 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had the same issue a couple of times. And the annoying part is sometimes the GA will say ok we can ship the bag behind you. It will come in on the next flight. And other times they reschedule you. Very annoying.

Sent from my iPad using milepoint