Baffled By United's GPU Certificates Policy

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by joyman52, Jul 15, 2018.

1. joyman52

joyman52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Greetings Fellow UA Travelers,

I'm hoping someone can help me understand something that's been driving me nuts the past several years. I have been a United 1K member for 8 years now. Something that confuses and irks me is the number of GPU's I receive (6) as compared to the amount of travel I do. I take at least 6 international flights (along with many domestic flights) every year. Taking those 6 flights, I can use 6 GPU's for 3 of them (2 per round trip). That means I have 3 additional international flights where I have to fly Coach (ugh). Someone please help me understand United's thinking here. As one who fly's over 100,000 miles a year on UA, why would they not want to have me pay the higher fare for an upgrade instead of having me be uncomfortable and grumpy in coach and put a bad taste in my mouth regarding the airline? Why would they not want to give additional certificates or even better - do away with them completely and give 1K's an opportunity to upgrade when they're available (like on Domestic routes)?

I just don't get it as they would actually make additional funds while keeping a Premier flyer much happier.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    As I understand (and have witnessed it), Global Service members (next level up from 1K) do indeed get comp upgrades internationally, space being available, and even get comped from Business to International First (at least sometimes).

Maybe they're just encouraging you to spend more and qualify for GS?

3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get 2 more gpus for each 50K miles flown over 100K. Would be nice if united had a special intl upgrade chart for 1Ks that only requires miles and no co-pay.

Counsellor likes this.
  4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, those were the good old days indeed! And it wasn't limited to 1Ks.

5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because they want you to pay a business fare.

6. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The good news, however, is that the UA online system now calculates the number of required GPUs correctly. I recently booked KIX-SFO-IAH-SCL (Chile) and back and only need to "spend" 2 GPUs. Up to now, the computer system has already required more, so I've had to haggle with an agent to convince them at I only needed one in each direction. This is real progress!! (...and it only took them 5 years to get it right.:rolleyes: )

bmg42000 likes this.