BAEC is Changing (and welcome avios)

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by adl73x, Sep 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the BA site this morning:

There are also some examples of changes to redemption levels. It may be spin, but it looks like there are more routes and classes for which the redemption cost is coming down, than going up, and some of the reductions are significant.

There are also some welcome changes to the taxes and surcharges that are levied for flights within Europe that will make redemptions for flights, as opposed to Trans Atlantic upgrades, much more palatable.

SQ LPP likes this.
  2. adl73x
    Original Member

adl73x Gold Member

Status Points:
    No. No changes to, for, nor of partners at this stage, nor when it becomes effective 16 November 2011.

jkvidt likes this.
  3. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great!!:)

4. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm afraid it is going to change... Nicci from the BAEC has confirmed there will be changes but what these changes are will be unknown until it launches in terms of mileage e.g. from NYC-HKG with CX ;)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17035794-post266.html

5. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree, this could be AWFUL.

she said: "the new pricing grid which we will publish at launch should be used for BA only flights, BA plus one partner or partner only flights."

I would speculate that this could mean that the award chart will be the same for all three types of awards. This could mean a huge devaluation for those of us in the US. Right now I can go JFK-Hong Kong in first on Cathay Pacific for 150,000 miles.

If I had to follow the BA award chart it would be over 360,000 miles!

6. BobInLA

BobInLA Active Member

Status Points:
    There is ALWAYS devaluation of partner awards whenever there is a change in a program. I suspect they'll hold off announcing them right before the Thanksgiving holiday so as to minimize press.

7. JohnnieD
    Original Member

JohnnieD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Exactly! I'm looking at YYZ-HKG-SIN on CX :(

8. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Whoops.

9. Sean
    Original Member

Sean Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks to me like the biggest hits ex-North America will affect two regions, with small-ish increases in a couple of others:
    • Far East: currently 50K (single partner) vs. 120K (BA, BA+1partner)
    • SW Pacific: currently 80K (single partner) vs. 140K (BA, BA+1)
    • South Asia: currently 80K (single partner) vs. 90K (BA, BA+1)
    • South America: currently 40K (single partner) vs. 50K (BA+1)
    • Eastern Russia: currently 65K (single partner) vs. 80K (BA+1)
    Did I miss any?

P.S. Lucky's blog lament is now up.

Quasiconvexity likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avios? Might have to say Adios to my BA Chase card.

canucklehead likes this.
  12. Prospero
    Original Member

Prospero Silver Member

Status Points:
    A little early to assume harmonisation will move universally in the direction of the current BA plus one partner rates.

13. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Since I didn't make any assumptions whatsoever about universal movement in the coming harmonization, that's rather a non sequitur.

If you're suggesting that the specific awards I identified aren't all going to increase relative to the current single-partner chart, I'll take a wager in whatever amount you care to propose.

14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The reason BA awards from the US to Asia are so high are because BA doesn't fly over the pacific. NYC-lhr-hkg is effectively two long haul flights on BA - one on cx.

To Oz, it is three long haul flights.

Who knows what they'll do with the new levels, but this is the reason for the much higher points to travel on BA metal to Asia.

adl73x likes this.
  15. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    On ft, BA specifically said distance based. Over the pacific to Asia is much less distance than via Europe. While I may be an optimist, I'm reasonably confident lax-hkg in j isn't going to 240k (which would be the fare if you flew lax-lhr-hkg), up from 100k now on cx.

I suspect the distance -based chart will move redemptions will move cost up 20-30%, not the 140% speculated on ft tonight.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Are we now celebrating a 20-30% devaluation? ;):p:eek:

Quasiconvexity and KathInJax like this.
  17. upgrade

upgrade Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes -- about multi-partner awards. It seems clear from context that this will be a different chart from the BA/BA+1/single-partner chart.

If you're aware of any statements that the latter will be distance-based, could you please identify them?

Quasiconvexity and NYBanker like this.
  18. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are right. I misread their post.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The best thing about BA isn't the cx awards, but rather the excellent premium cabin availability to Europe (some flights have 7 f seats for award redemption!) - plus the chase 2-4-1 coupon. This won't change much I suspect.

adl73x and LETTERBOY like this.
  20. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not celebrating, but I am realistic that things which are off market will eventually normalize to market levels.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I know. I was just teasing you :)

NYBanker and Quasiconvexity like this.
  22. Quasiconvexity
    Original Member

Quasiconvexity Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the hand-wringing on FT is a little too much. I am prepared for some devaluation (sure) but the hysteria on FT about redemption requirements increasing by 150% and talk of a class action law suit is all a little overwrought.

23. The BA representative explicitly said that BA/BA+1/single-partner rewards will be distance-based
    (based on "bands" or "zones"):

Quote:

1) General reward pricing
    I know there was a lot of speculation prior to us issuing our communications around a general increase in reward flight prices. To give you some context, (approximately) 73% of reward prices remain the same, 24% get cheaper and 3% will increase in price. This was as a result of the change to way we price rewards using a distance-banded model.

NYBanker likes this.
  24. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not really sure what is going on. I did go ahead and book 2 tixs in FC from SFO to HKG but it is a trip we were going to do anyway. These changes just made me get off the pot and do it.

That said, it will not be ideal, but I am hoping that at the very least they do not increase redemption rates from the West Coast to LHR. I might be a bit of an oddity, but I still think if you can get a companion tix for the 2-4-1 redemption via the credit card in a premium cabin it is reasonable value. I know the fuel surcharges are higher, but I would rather pay $1800 in fees and be sitting up the front than pay $1800 and sitting down the back.

Quasiconvexity and NYBanker like this.
  25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call.

Would it really be $900 in fees per ticket from lax? It is about $500 from JFK in fees/taxes in the forward cabin last I did it.

Either way, with the 2-4-1, it remains a good value. From JFK, we have the added benefit of exceptional availability, too. Not sure it is as easy from lax, but from JFK where BA operates 7 or so services daily to lhr, it usually is never a problem to get an f or j award seat.