Bad Tourists Lead to Photography Ban at Japanese Temples

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Dec 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bad Tourists Lead to Photography Ban at Japanese Temples

flynhwn and Slow_Mustang like this.
  2. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info.
    Many temples in India don't even let the foreigners in, for the same reason. We tend to be very irreverent to other people's places of worship. Maybe a sensitivity training course before going to foreign lands is in order.

IDGflygirl, Dublin_rfk and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Spot on, sensitivity is something we should show when visiting this places, but on the other side of the coin tourists who travel to such "attractions" which in reality are places of worship want the obligatory "memory" too. There has to be a balance, as always, both sides must find "common" ground here. Overall, good behavior and respect go a long way IMHO. Photography is now part of life for many who travel to far-flung foreign places.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to defend bad behavior, but you'd never camera toting Japanese tourists in the great cathedrals of Europe, would you?

webdes03 and Newscience like this.
  5. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Cathedrals normally require a moderate dress code, silence and no flash photography for visiting them. Of course, they are free to discontinue using their places of worship as tourist attractions too. It all depends on how far they want to go in tolerating tourists. Different cultures have different requirements for visiting places that they consider to be sacred. And I agree with uggboy in finding a common ground to keep the cathedral/temple authorities and the tourists happy. I am sure both benefit from each other.

uggboy likes this.
  6. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, I'm equally sure that both, temples / attractions and visitors benefit mutually from each other. Common ground, is a good ground to walk on IMHO.

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  7. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you wouldn't go into your own house of worship in shorts, tee shirt, sandals, talking loud and flashing everything why would you go into someone else's?

Slow_Mustang likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because many people are inconsiderate?

By the way, do mormon tourists tour other religions' houses of worship?

http://www.mormon.org/faq/purpose-of-temples

Newscience likes this.
  9. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I met a newlywed couple in Rome touring the Vatican. And yes they were properly attired and mannered.

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    By the way, what's wrong with sandals? (or rather, where are they not allowed?)

Newscience likes this.
  11. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    They are part of my I'm on "bleeping" holiday leave me alone attire (aloha shirt and shorts - sandals in public). By themselve nothing, when coupled with the shorts and teeshirt and a place of worship (outside of Key West), well . . .

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But Jesus wore sandals... so in Christian houses of worship that should presumably be acceptable then? And in mosques you'll often find piles of sandals and other shoes... outside the doors.

Shorts... depending on the climate I wear zip-offs, so I just attach my 'legs' to accommodate dress code.

Newscience and YULtide like this.
  13. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually the ones you most likely have seen might have actually been Chinese tourists (who have seem to have rapidly a nuisance reputation in recent years) ... the Japanese despite their cameras are well mannered and polite.
    Fair enough but in most cases the restriction is on flash cameras ( whose intense lighting no matter how brief can damage works of art) The sophistication of most modern cameras
    allow very good pictures to be taken in without the use of a flash.

That said there have been some Kyoto shrines which for a very long time have prohibited any photography.
    The one that comes readily to mind is the Sanjusangendo ( the temple with 1031 life size carved wooden statues each one with 40 arms) Not being able to take pictures doesn't diminish the sheer power and awesome-ness of the place. If you need to prove to your relatives and friends that you were there ....buy a postcard in the gift shop.:)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  14. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Really? If you want to see badly-behaved Japanese tourists, head to Honolulu. We've walked out of restaurants where young loud obnoxious Japanese tourists clearly had too much to drink and nothing was said by the management to quiet these "valued customers". And if the truth be told, it's hard to find folks more obnoxious than loud brash American and British "boys" rooting for their favorite team in a pub or bar! There's no country borders for bad behavior! :eek:

15. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hoorah, hoorah, someone with a little sense of the truth

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
    Newscience likes this.
  16. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    We were talking about tourists and cameras were we not?:)

17. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although I am not a religious person, when visiting a site that may be considered "Holy" to others, I will ask before taking photos. And I ALWAYS ask if I am appropriately dressed or if I need a skull cap or will a regular hat work if head covering is suggested. But I tend to visit only the historic Chapels and Cathedrals, the ones that are promoting themselves as "points of interest"

18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think in many cases I can distinguish between Japanese and Chinese tourists, and yes, I agree with your assessment of the more recent developments, but there are still plenty of typically young Japanese tourists snapping photos of each other flashing V signs in front of altars and other artifacts.

Just recently I visited for the second time the National Palace Museum in Taipei and was once again very frustrated by the annoying behavior of many fellow visitors (many of them I believe from the mainland). I stand two feet away from an artifact to give others the opportunity to see it as well while I listen to the audio guide and it is almost guaranteed that someone will park him or herself right smack in front of me, often loudly chatting with someone else in their large group. I have had those flag-waiving tour guides with their entire group squeeze between me and the glass wall.

And the photography problem (it is prohibited) has gotten so bad that the museum has staffers walk around in every gallery with pictographic signs on sticks reminding people to shut up and not take pictures.

Dublin_rfk, HiIslands and Newscience like this.
  19. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Whereas we do come across at least some people from every country who might be 'misbehaving', I feel like I must come to the defense of the Japanese people in general. In all my travels, I haven't found any people more well mannered or more polite than people in Japan. They never speak, they just whisper; no one uses a cell phone in the subway and if someone has to do it for emergency reasons, they cup their hand around it and talk ever so softly that you don't hear anything. I have had people go out of their way to help me with directions in spite of the language barrier. And many more experiences like that........

Anyway, we are digressing!

WilliamQ, Dublin_rfk, anileze and 4 others like this.
  20. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    More to the point, it's about tourists with bad behavior. FWIW, I've seen postings of "No British Allowed" in certain clubs/pubs in Europe, after their establishment was torn up by "boys behaving badly". If you prefer, someone in the group must have taken a picture of this! :D

WilliamQ and uggboy like this.
  21. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    YMMV! ;)

FWIW, I can speak/understand enough Chinese and Japanese to distinguish between tourists from these lands.

WilliamQ, anileze and uggboy like this.
  22. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Invariably, last week I was an unfortunate witness to an incident. As the saying goes, you cannot teach manners to a tone deaf, culturally blind wo(man).

nos1.jpg

nos2.jpg

I just so happened to be around, when one of the monks, politely ask the two to leave. Well, I have a semiotic theory, as outlined by Roland Barthes, which fits very neatly into this aspect of tourism :) But for now, Hollywood Movie - Dumb Dumber would suffice. Semiotics shall have to wait for Single Malts and a damp rainy day !

Newscience likes this.
  23. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's face it, bad tourists come in all shapes and sizes and colors and from
    all nations. I will weigh in to say that I find the Japanese at worst kind of
    oblivious; the Chinese can be more aggressively nasty (I'm Chinese).

24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, it did say "suggest" on the sign :)

(assuming this was in the site, the cigarette would have bothered me personally more than the shorts)

Dublin_rfk and Newscience like this.
  25. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    This sign "Suggest all the people no wear the short to the Pagoda" reminds me of a funny story. A few years ago, I travelled to Bangkok on DL (in steerage, of course :eek:). I arrived at my hotel (the Peninsula, a great hotel BTW) very tired, and only got a few hours sleep before getting up and going on a walkabout. I was directed to the boats nearly to cross the river, where I found a place to stand on the crowded boat near a group of smiling orange-robed Buddhist monks. I was amazed at how friendly the monks were to me, and then when I got off the boat, I looked up and saw the sign near their group that said something to the effect of "Reserved for monks only"! :rolleyes:

Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.