Bad Luck With Amex Honoring Referral Bonuses

Discussion in 'American Express | Membership Rewards' started by mommypoints, Feb 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both my mom and I have been referring people for the Amex Premier Rewards Gold card and the Amex Platinum personal card since November. Once the 8 weeks passed from the first referrals, I inquired with Amex as to the status of the referral bonus points. They said they had no record of any referrals, but would "open an investigation". Now they have sent a letter saying they have no record of the promo and will not award points.

I still have all of the referral emails, and will follow up with the Exec Offices if I need to, but was wondering if anyone else has had this problem... or if it is just us that have had some bad luck here.

YULtide, alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  2. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have done two referrals for the platinum. I did receive a single 5k credit on the first one fairly quickly--within a week or so of sending the referral and the person applying. I have seen nothing since I made the second referral, but I don't know if they even ended up using the referral link. It hasn't been 8 weeks since that referral, but your issue does have me wondering.

Sorry to hear you're having the problem.

alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  3. riverchica
    Original Member

riverchica Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmm, I've been waiting for two referral bonuses to post. I haven't contacted Amex yet. Now I'm nervous! I had a bad experience with them honoring a sign-up bonus on the Gold Biz card. Amex, I really wanna like you. Help me help you.

alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  4. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    I honestly have ridiculously bad luck with this sort of thing, but since these are legit referrals, I am hoping they will eventually honor them. I am just annoyed that it isn't going very smoothly so far.

YULtide, alohastephen and TAHKUCT like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unfortunately, Amex is known for not posting referral bonuses or even your initial enrollment bonuses. Keep all documentation. The best way to contact them is via online secure email service. You will have a record of your dispute and if it is not resolved you can ask them to forward it to the next level.

alohastephen likes this.
  6. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did that and that got me a nice letter in the mail saying they have no record of anything. I wish it was that simple, but I really do have bad luck with this sort of thing. ;) I may try one more SM and see if that gets me anywhere. You are very correct that all documentation has to be saved with Amex.

YULtide and alohastephen like this.
  7. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Then call and ask for a supervisor and try to escalate to the next level.

Gargoyle and alohastephen like this.
  8. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the plan. I kinda want to send them a big basket of stopmakingthissodifficult! Wonder if I can go through a portal to buy such an item?

9. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a very serious problem with Amex several years ago when they were switching their system. Several thousands dollars worth of credit just disappeared from my account. Took almost 3 months to solve this issue. Thank got I used Yodlee and was able to print and download before it was updated on Yodlee, plus know Yodlee sends me an email of each transaction just to be safe. I could not get through with a first line CS. Had to send a Notorized letter to Customer Service address via FedEx to get their attention describing everything what happened. It all got resolved after I got assigned a very nice lady who handled my case top notch.

Gargoyle and mommypoints like this.
  10. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the Membership Rewards portal just lowered the points earnings on the direct-market site for stopmakingthissodifficult to -10x for the month of february. It takes the lead for worst deal in the miles/points game.

Gargoyle, Bluto, riverchica and 2 others like this.
  11. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP luck has nothing to do with it. You have done nothing wrong. You responded to their offer and they are reneging on their deal. I suggest you blog about it as AMEX refuses to honor their referral offers. Use social media to rattle their cage. This may inspire your followers to join in concert with you to get AMEX to respond properly.

Perhaps you should call investor relations and ask for the corporate suite. Phone 212-640-2000.

I am confident you can find a way to convince them they should reward you and Mother Mommy Points what you have earned. Good luck.

12. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh don't worry, I will be blogging about it - for sure. (and very soon, most likely) I'm honestly not sure how many points they owe me and Grandma Points, but it is certainly a six figure number. I am just looking to gather some info first and see if it is a wide-spread issue or my "bad luck" in having things honored the easy way. I have faith I can work it out in the end, it is just silly that it will likely take so much effort.

Come on, Amex. Easy button!

YULtide and tondoleo like this.
  13. tondoleo
    Original Member

tondoleo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Corporations make things silly.

It will be worth your effort when your MR account grows.

autolycus and mommypoints like this.
  14. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    The real problem with this referral promo in particular is that they are probably legally prevented from telling you who actually applied and was accepted. That's going to make it very tricky for you to figure out exactly how many points they owe you. I suppose you could email everyone who you referred and see if they'll tell you whether they applied through your email and were approved. That'd be easier for me since it's just the 1 bonus outstanding.

OK, if it's just a Staples Easy button you want to send them, MR portal has Staples at 4x right now, and here's the $5.99 easy button. So for $5.99 plus tax and shipping, you'll get the easy button and a whopping 24 MR points. But you'll have to ship it to Amex somehow...

Since the two referrals I did were actually from people who saw my comment on your blog post, I'd be happy to send the Easy Button to Amex on your behalf, especially if they don't give me the other 5000 MR that I might be owed! :) And since I haven't said it yet, thanks for giving me permission to offer referrals to your readers. You're definitely on the list of affiliate links I'll use when I get around to another round of apps.

15. mommypoints

mommypoints Gold Member

Status Points:
    @autoclylus, I am always more than happy to share the referral love. I'm glad that you were able to get some bonus points and thanks so much for thinking of me when planning your next round of apps. Sounds like you are doing better than me so far on getting referral points. ;) Love the easy button part! I've got the Amex Business Gold that pays 2x on shipping, so I should be all set with sending that button to Amex. Ha ha.

I do agree it will be hard to know for sure if I got the referrals that I should, but I certainly could provide a list of names that I referred (complete with a copy of the email confirmation and date, if needed) and that should help in the event that their tracking software didnt do its part. I'll never know for sure if their count is right, but I know for sure that 0 is wrong.

YULtide and Gargoyle like this.
  16. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I signed up for the Delta Skymiles Amex back in October. I responded to their promotion for 52500 SkyMiles. I made the mistake of submitting my application without the RSVP ID, but called customer service minutes later and was reassured that everything was "OK". I've lost count of the calls that I've made. I faxed them the letter with the solicitation and RSVP ID information twice (they've lost it both times!). I still haven't gotten the bonus miles. Maybe that's a good thing since I don't want to pay taxes on them :). I'd cancel the card if I had the energy to call them back again...

Gargoyle likes this.
  17. Tom
    Original Member

Tom Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I had a problem I found that the twitter team fixed it for me pretty quickly when I started complaining on there..

TAHKUCT likes this.
  18. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I referred someone last week for the Amex Hilton Surpass card, entered their info online while logged in, they got an invite for the card and applied. My 20k HHonors points posted overnight. Lucky, I guess.

I'd go the executive offices route because I would want more than just the missing points, but additional points for all of the hassle and hoops I had to jump through to get Amex to fulfill its end of the bargain.

19. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    I referred 2 people for plat , cards were approved -- got "0"--- called plat spoke to a supervisor , gave her the names and address and date opened , got my 10k -- but stopped referring as do not want to spend hours fighting for what i was entitled to

20. akcae
    Original Member

akcae Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've referred four people for the Plat card during the 10K bonus promo and received two bonuses. I don't really have a way of knowing if I should have received more, but I'm OK with what I got.

Speaking of which, is there a sanctioned way here on MilePoint to offer referrals? I don't want to just blatantly start a thread, but I don't see a dedicated thread or anything.

21. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm amazed no one has complained yet about Amex not honoring referral for Starwood points, for the personal and business card.

A few years ago, when I did a lot of these, the referral bonuses posted fast and with no need for me to ask. Now, I have to track each one (many fewer for me these days, unfortunately. I guess my friends all have them!).

My last one, I needed to provide the street name and city of the recipient, in addition to her name and email. I guess they're trying to crack down on anonymous referrals or something. But I did, they confirmed it, and I still haven't seen the points. Next week, another direct message.

But these points are, indeed, pretty valuable, so I'll keep at it, but I'll keep reminders. One referral a month (I don't get that these days) really adds up.

22. MLW20
    Original Member

MLW20 Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I referred my wife for the SPG Amex I had no issues- the referral bonus posted very fast.

Just curious- isn't there a cap on how many referral bonuses you can earn or am I mistaken?

23. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is, but depending on the offer, the cap can be as high as 250k points. 5k for the platinum was one such offer. That's 50 referrals before you hit the limit.

24. autolycus

autolycus Gold Member

Status Points:
    It occurred to me today that I have now been over 8 weeks without getting my second referral bonus, so I figured I would check in to see if you had ever gotten yours and your mom's referral bonuses credited to your accounts. ??

I sent a SM to check on it, and the response was less than encouraging, saying that my account had no promotional offers attached to it and that I needed to provide a "POID" from the marketing email before they would give me any referral bonuses. The big problem, of course, is that I didn't make the referrals based on an email, I made them based on the banner ad at the top of my account summary page on their website. I checked, and the referral bonus offer is still there, and it has no POID or other type of promo code listed anywhere. If you had any luck, what did it take?

schnitzel likes this.
  25. schnitzel
    Original Member

schnitzel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been able to get missing referral bonuses by sending messages with the info of the person whom I referred.

They generally ask for the name of the street on which the person lives. I guess that's some fraud-prevention mechanism.