Bad Karma Turns Out Not So Bad

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Zomby Woof, Apr 8, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mrs Woof and I are at the gate waiting for our UA flight. Our names get announced to see and agent at another gate. Strange, so we head over. The agent asks us if we would want to take a different flight and get to our destination 45 minutes earlier. We tell her that we have exit row seats so what would we get on this flight. Only middle in regular Econ. We say no thanks.

We board are original flight which connects in SFO. We board our flight in SFO and 15 minutes into the flight there is a flight attendant with a medical emergency. We head back to SFO and make a hard landing with all that fuel. We have to deplane so they can inspect after the hard landing. Flight gets cancelled and we can't get out until the next day and only middle seat available. Guess we shouldn't have refused UA's offer for the other flight :)

The customer service rep rebooked us in Y so we are on the top of the upgrade list and as UA Gold we get upgraded. We also get emails from UA to select miles or $175 off another flight. UA put us up at a Double Tree for the night. We get in about 24 hours later than scheduled but get $175 each toward another flight and fly in 1st on the transcon flight.

Six days later we head back. We hear an announcement asking for people who would like to take another flight due to weight restrictions on our flight. We don't take a chance on bad karma again and volunteer. UA gave each of us $300 off another flight plus rebooked us in Y and the upgrade clears.

anileze, LIH Prem, LauraPDX and 10 others like this.
  2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please refer to rule 6 and do not trust in Karma.:D

anileze and Mapsmith like this.
  3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I paid for our tickets with a Chase Sapphire Preferred which has trip delay insurance. It can pay up to $500 for trips delayed 12 hours or more. Since United paid for the hotel, I'm only claiming for meals. First time I've used it. Hope they don't give me a hassle.

Dublin_rfk and Mapsmith like this.
  4. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got my $$ from Chase as part of the Sapphire Preferred trip delay (12+ hours) insurance. The only thing they made me verify was that my traveling partner was my spouse and that was done verbally. The benefit only covers immediate family members.

anileze and Counsellor like this.