Bad handling of irops on AA318

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Travel2Food, Sep 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, we're sitting at a remote gate at IAD, diverted from DCA. AA won't bring a people mover or let us off the plane. We're to be refueled and fly to DCA. It's now 30 minutes and no fuel truck in sight. No ETA. And they had 20 minutes from decision time to landing.

Captain says OPS refuses to bring people mover.... so we're stuck.

I get weather delays and diversions. It happens. But this is bad handling of irops. There is simply no excuse to not get us in ther terminal and either let us get cabs or bus us to DCA.

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think it was a WX diversion though...DCA is doing some resurfacing on their 15/33 Runway...

3. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It was wx. Dca is using 1/19, the long runway

4. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I dropped a quick note to AA today suggesting that they could have done better & let us off the plane. Didn't request anything, and noted that I get the weather delay & diversion, but I don't get the "keep us on the plane" without much information.

I have to give AA credit for a very fast response and an unexpected eVoucher. Thanks AA for the follow-up and the quick response.

5. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had heard that it was against regulations to refuel planes with pax on board?

At least that has been the explanation why we had to leave the plane while in PHX and in TPA

6. DCtrAAveler
    Original Member

DCtrAAveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    While OP was on the ground at IAD, my flight actually made it to DCA only to sit for an additional hour+ before we could deplane. While there were likely multiple weather-related issues ongoing, what affected my flight was lightning. There had been a strike at or near the ramp which shut down ops, created delays (lengthened by a second lightling strike at the Capitol that set off the detectors at DCA), and required flights still at the gates to be refueled before they could move off and let us get in to deplane. What I found most frustrating was that there's no contingency to make use of other unused and available space/equipment to deplane passengers in a situation like this.

7. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    If there were lightening strikes then the ramp is closed. No fuel. No jetbridge. Nada.

Sounds like AA could have communicated better, but nothing they could actually have done with active lightening strikes.

8. MJonTravel
    Original Member

MJonTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, there was a lightning strike at DCA Wednesday that sent 2 AA rampers to the ER. The airport lightning detectors had not gone off, when out of nowhere, a pretty big strike near the AA gates. While that's not necessarily connected to why the OP could not get off the plane at IAD, it is indicative of the overall weather situation and mess at DCA.

OP, how long were you on the ground at IAD? Just curious.

9. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The diversion itself was a non-issue. If DCA was weather-bound, then no problem with the diversion. It was the lack of information (Captian couldn't/wouldn't tell us what the plan was after landing and pulling into a remote gate) and the unwillingness to unload at IAD that were the bigger issue. Not like they didn't have time: holding pattern to IAD was about 30 minutes after decision to divert, and time on the ground.

No rain at IAD - the band of heavy weather was pretty narrow. We were on the ground a little over 1:15 at IAD, plus the flight time back over to DCA, where it was still raining pretty hard. Not raining at my house, about halfway between DCA and IAD.