Bad Customer Service?

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by IberianNomad, Nov 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IberianNomad

IberianNomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi folks!

I will have the opportunity to stay at a Hilton property for an extended period of time due to work. Last week I contacted Hilton Member Services for a Status Match or fast track offer since I'm Platinum elite with Marriott. Much to my surprise, Hilton denied my Status Match request or fast track offer and only offered me complimentary Silver status. They said my current activity with Marriott and Hilton didn't warrant an offer. I've currently stayed 60 nights at Marriott Properties this year alone (though 15 were automatically credited to me due to my CC). Regardless if Marriott grants me complimentary Platinum Status this year since I'm 15 nights away, I'm capable of achieving Gold with them fair and square...shouldn't have Hilton at least offered Gold since I already made Gold this year with Marriott?

I'm quite bummed out because I purchased P2 and was hoping my Gold Status would have kicked in before my trip!

Regardless, very surprised Hilton said NO or at least offered me Gold...

Thoughts or ideas? Worth reaching out again? It's my first time dealing with Hilton and so far not very impressed...

Thanks!

M

Kalboz, jbcarioca and Newscience like this.
  2. flynow

flynow Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would try again and talk to Hilton and also your p2 may come in . Good Luck !!!

3. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hang up & call again ...

Tenmoc, jbcarioca, ChrisUNC and 2 others like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely! "Hang up & call again" needs to be inscribed on every airline frequent flyer and hotel loyalty care! ;)

6. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently did the P2 purchase myself. I was silver with Hilton and had only 10 nights with them YTD since most of my project work this year was with a client that had a Marriott contract. I did the P2 to keep my Hilton status alive into 2014. For reference, it took about 2.5 weeks for my P2 Gold status to show on my Hilton account.

Kalboz, Newscience and jbcarioca like this.
  7. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the rest.

However, I do have a problem with the title of this thread. It does not sound like
    'Bad Customer Service' to me. When you are asking a favor of someone and they decline the favor it not is 'Bad Customer Service' at all. The purveyor is simply saying that the special service that the Customer is asking for is not available (or they do not have the proper authority to offer it).

blackjack-21, ella, Kalboz and 6 others like this.
  8. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    couple of questions. Are you only going to be staying at this property? What is your length of stay?

9. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Great point and hence why I added a question mark at the end. Regardless, in my honest opinion I think they can be a tad more understanding or flexible considering I'll have Gold in just a few days. Half way during my stay I'll be a Gold Member, then what?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  10. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Yes...over a month....

11. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    In this instance, then I agree with Hilton. I'm playing devils advocate. If you only applied for elite membership for this stay, you're not really interested in being a loyal Hilton Customer. Also, you're only going to ONE property.

Do you have plans to switch loyalty to Hilton? Do you plan on making it your first choice program?

12. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that we've had more information from the OP, I agree, the title is very misleading. Something along the lines of "Status Match Question" would be more appropriate.

13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are so many easy ways to get Gold with HHonors nowadays. Just go here and get Gold after 4 stays:
    http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/mvpfasttrack

You can also get instant Gold through programs like the Founders Club which you may able to get for your business; for an annual fee, they give you things like HHonors gold and other travel perks across various chains --all without having any stay minimums to get the benefit.

14. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Considering it based off of this stay/experience...
    I'm considering it...

I've never stayed at a Hilton property so I thought I'd give it a shot.

15. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Thanks guys! I officially "feel bad" because of my thread title choice! Is there anyway to change it so I can please the masses?!??!?

Kalboz, jbcarioca and Mapsmith like this.
  16. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is probably why they offered Silver. You need to earn elite membership. You could also by a Milepoint Membership.

Mapsmith, Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  17. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    I already purchased a Milepoint Membership! That's why it's so frustrating! Gold hasn't kicked in yet...

18. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't trying to make you feel bad. My business is in customer service and I absolutely hate Bad Customer service.

Kalboz and Newscience like this.
  19. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Mapsmith I'm only kidding :)

20. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not Hilton Gold. You can practically buy it on every street corner!

21. JetlaggedinNC

JetlaggedinNC Member

Status Points:
    Your P2 status might kick in before you expect. I purchased mine on a Thursday and 6 days later was gold with Hilton.

22. IberianNomad

Status Points:
    Either I got lucky or someone was listening but I'm officially Gold!

Thank you folks!

23. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some years ago, after being an HHonors Gold for several years, when I complained over treatment at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, I was given "Life-time Gold status," and a personal contact at that property. In the time since, I have been a Diamond VIP member for many years, so that is moot now. Still, they were very accommodating, regardless of the treatment at the front desk at that one property. As long as my "personal contact" was there, things were good. When he moved on, they deteriorated to abusive treatment, so we never stay there now, choosing inns that truly appreciate my patronage, such as the Halekulani, just down the street.

Counsellor, Kalboz and Mapsmith like this.
  24. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The HHV was the setting for the Party in Paradise back in 1999. We had very favorable treatment there (and it was organized to perfection, even Randy's surprises -- thanks again, Randy!)

I was last there in 2010 for a conference. Much more rushed, it seemed, and not very personal. Seemed more like an industrial operation than a hospitality one. Still, you can't argue with the location . . .

25. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    We HAD stayed at that property for about 25 years, and watched it change from great to... well, less than great, in our opinion.

Now, during a big construction project, the check-in has been moved (temporarily) to the bar, south of the old front desk, and it IS crowded, rushed and a big hassle. Still, that should be a temp location, until construction is completed.

What has always been a bone of contention for us, is how upper-level HHonors guests have been treated. When attempting to buy an upgrade, I was summarily refused, while two guests, checking in beside me, were granted "complimentary upgrades" to the very rooms that I was trying to pay for.

My wife now refuses to stay at the HHV, and has even moved various functions from other Hilton properties, to reflect her total dissatisfaction with the chain. I think that if I were to mention that we would be staying at the HHV, "divorce" would be brought up instantly.

Glad that your experiences have been much better, and I hope that they continue. Thank you for the comments.