Bad car rental experience, my fault?

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sunspotzsz, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just had a rental car from Thrifty at BOS.

First of all, I waited 20 minutes before their bus showed up. I counted I saw at least 6 avis bus.

Anyways, that was fine. At the counter, the agent was trying to sell me the toll service, fuel service and insurance. I declined to all of them as usual. She then asked me to click the buttons on the screen and sign it.

When I returned the car, I found that I got charged with insurance. It is $24 per day. When I called, the customer service told me it is my fault and I should have read the contract. Yes, I should have but this never happened with other rental companies.

This was a business trip and I don't need to pay for it, but it makes me really really mad. I will never ever rent from thrifty again.

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've found they're pretty good. Yes, the computer thing is annoying. They're standing right there and you still have to act like you're at a lone kiosk (kind of like when the agent at the airport makes you check in using the kiosk even though you already tried and it said to talk to an agent). However, I think you should just read the prompts more closely next time, since I had no trouble at SAT. It happens to the best of us.

3. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I know I should have.

But, again, the woman at the counter knew I declined and intentionally choose not to tell me. She told me which button to push and I did not read the prompt. I feel being cheated....

4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Avis started doing this at MIA as well. During my last rental (9/29) the lady at the desk was really friendly, but she made me go through this whole business with the screen.

All the while I'm thinking they could have just put a kiosk in front of me and I would have accomplished the same thing, without having to wait in line.

goheerow and 2soonold like this.
  5. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are counter agents at Thrifty commission based? She was trying to very hard to sell me the all the services, which I never had with other companies before. They may have incentives to mislead customers.

6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that all counter agents worked on commission... and that the rental rate is of course a loss-leader, and the real money is in the extras, which is why they push them so hard.

I have to say that I haven't had any issues with Hertz myself though... The Avis tried to upsell me an upgrade on my last trip, and before that I rented with Alamo in late August out of FLL and the counter guy pushed me for insurance (I had already selected FSO since it was a week-long trip).

With Hertz I never get asked if I want anything other than what's in the reservation.

7. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never had problem with Hertz and Avis either. And, I really liked that fact the Avis prints miles on the receipts.

I rarely use Thrifty, not sure if all of them are bad, or just this office at BOS is bad. Well, people should not use Thrifty at BOS anyways, it is pretty far from the terminal and you need to wait a long time for the bus.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the agent I worked with offerred to waive the second driver fee. She offerred all the extras, of course, but I didn't perceive her as being pushy or deceiving. I guess I had good luck.

9. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you #1 Gold? For a long time Hertz was the only one that tried to upsell me. Once I got my #1 Gold card they stopped bugging me.

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    President's Circle plus Hertz on Demand user... my guess is that this has something to do with it. I guess they figure after a while you know what you want and they won't bug you if you don't want it. :)

Scottrick likes this.
  11. sunspotzsz
    Original Member

sunspotzsz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, maybe you are just good looking.

Scottrick and viguera like this.
  12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had an upset with a Hertz rental in AZ. Wrote an email to Hertz and was very impressed with their response which showed they absolutely took me seriously and waived the contested charge. Not sure Thrifty will be as responsive but certainly worth a try.

viguera likes this.
  13. 2soonold
    Original Member

2soonold Gold Member

Status Points:
    Carma would suggest not renting from them again.;)

viguera likes this.
  14. goheerow

goheerow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same thing happened to me with Budget in LAS. Wrote an email to CS about pushy rep and they refunded one of the two days they charged me for insurance. Good enough in my book since I should have read the contract before signing.

viguera likes this.
  15. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My worst experiences have been at overseas airport locations, when agents try to insist that full insurance is required and that credit cards offer no protection that duplicates their insurance.

16. Hitchkass

Hitchkass New Member

Status Points:
    BEWARE OF DOLLAR/THRIFTY RENTAL CAR!!!!!

The last time I flew to the U.S. I decided to rent a car from Dollar/Thrifty. To my unpleasant surprise I was forced to take their Prepaid Fuel Option which was $66.43. Their logic for this was, now get this, because I'm coming from Europe with a Rentel Voucher I am obligated to take the Prepaid Fuel Option. In other words, because all the insurances are covered by the European Voucher and they can't BS the people with the insurances anymore, they will BS us by forcing us to take the Prepaid Fuel Option. To everyone who believes in fairness, Please do not use Dollar/Thrifty. I know I will never rent from them again and I will tell everyone I know about their scheme.

Counsellor likes this.
  17. you must search out first the best alternate. Know a days it is more good if you will get a electronic vehicle as its consumption is high maintenance is low comparatively to the traditional cars.

18. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live in Europe and I find Avis is by far the cheapest (by using an airline code). We hated the upsell at the counter and we followed the advice from another forum to sign up for Preferred. Also in LAX Avis we also had to go through that stupid machine thing - both Mr. and I were thinking about the same as all of you - why on earth don't they use machines instead?

Good thing is: no more stupid upsell, no more stupid insurance......and we're all set to the car.

The negative thing is: Avis is going to ROB you 4% currency transaction fee if you are renting outside of your home country if you use preferred. So as long as you can live with it, then it's a great option. I also hate the fact that Avis charged me $9 for crediting to UA. Now I learned the lesson in an expensive way. Once that receipt printed out when you return the car, there is NOTHING you can dispute about.

19. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is their latest scam.

They "offer" DCC - "Dynamic Currency Conversion" - where they convert the charge into your currency (the currency of your credit card) and add 3% or 4% to the bill in doing so (or, they use a very bad conversion rate). See, e.g., http://www.cardhub.com/edu/dynamic-currency-conversion/ or Google DCC or Dynamic Currency Conversion for more information on this.

They argue that it is just a convenience they offer, so you know right away how much the bill will be in your currency (as though you couldn't just look it up on line when you get to your hotel). It can never advantage you, and usually winds up costing you (most travelers use a credit card with no or a low currency conversion fee, so you don't save money here, and the odd cards that do charge a fee for "foreign" transactions will still charge the fee, since the transaction is "foreign" despite being in your currency).

Most countries require by law that you be informed of this "offer" and accept it or the DCC cannot be applied. When they offer it to me in shops or ATMs or hotels, I decline and tell them to run the charge in their local currency, which they are required to do.

What AVIS has done is to bury the "offer" in the multi-page mouseprint Terms and Conditions people seldom read, and frequently are not even offered (it's incorporated "by reference" into the document you sign, and you must ask for it or you don't get it). Since I'm aware of this, I demand to sign something, and across it write "Charge the bill in local currency, NO DCC!" They don't like it, but by law (most places, at least) they have to accept it.

Personally, I'd like to see DCC banned since it is a scam that does not benefit you, just the merchant, but that will require quite a campaign and run into resistance since they make a killing on this. In the meantime, I *can* protect myself.

nacho likes this.
  20. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh you don't know how much time I used on my holiday to battle with Avis about their DCC scam.

I contacted Visa Europe and they refused to help me :mad: I wrote to Avis HQ, Sweden, Europe HQ, no no no! Then they said, 'oh you agreed in the T&C of the Preferred'. I checked the whole T&C and there is absolutely nothing about an enforced DCC.

I wish someone can sue them and get them to change this scam.

I reserved my car in Avis US site and none of the documents I got was in my 'home' currency, all of a sudden I got a bill in SEK. The funny thing is that I talked to Avis Preferred at LAX and they said the only way I could avoid that is to pay cash.