Bad behavior at DCA US Club

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by dcpatti, Mar 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    In the last 10 minutes I've witnessed:

One man sprawled across his chair like a happy kitty laying in a sunbeam, it's cute when a cat does it. It's not cute when a businessman does it. Your shirt is creeping up, exposing your fuzzy belly, and you just look sloppy and entirely too much at home. You're in public. Be nice and sit like a grown-up.

A lady listening to YouTube videos at top volume on her iPhone, subjecting everyone in this section to her crap taste in music.

The same woman in a very heated discussion over something that made her angry, complete with the cussing. At full volume. In between iPhone videos.

A solo traveler empty the contents of the snack basket into his backpack then stroll out. One bag of chips to tide you over till dinner? That's fine. The whole basket? Really? You can afford club access but can't afford a burger?

And the most shocking, a family of 4, mom plus three teens, complain about the empty snack basket, then, when it gets refilled, they did the exact same thing. Divided up the whole thing and shoved chips and cookies into purses, bags and backpacks before strolling off. Two minutes later, teenage son comes trotting back for all the cheese and crackers.

Uncool, fellow travelers. Uncool. :(

2. RedM3Pilot
    Original Member

RedM3Pilot Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of your best lines ever. Thanks for the LOL. [​IMG] :D

He probably did some math: sacrifice a month's worth of Mickey D's for a year of

[​IMG]

mht_flyer likes this.
  3. sc801
    Original Member

sc801 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great post dcpatti! I agree - nothing wrong with grabbing a couple of Milano's or a piece of fruit, but the whole basket? Puhleeeeez!

4. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just had a visual of the guy in the chair and it kinda grossed me out.... Yikes! If I was there I would be hiding from it behind a HUGE glass of red wine. :D

5. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    The worst behavior I've witnessed at a US Club was in PHL - it was quite busy and there were a couple of people ordering food at the bar which required some credit card transactions and the machine didn't seem to be working so it was taking a looooong time. A guy was waiting at the bar for service and I guess he got tired of waiting so he grabbed a glass and then leaned over the bar to grab the soda gun from behind the bar. He filled up the glass with soda and as he reached back over to put the soda gun down, he knocked over a full bottle of red wine that was sitting behind the bar which then crashed to the floor. Wine everywhere. Bartender says: You are not allowed to do that! Guy says: Well, then shouldn't have made me wait so long. (!) Situation deteriorated and then I had to go. Who reaches behind the bar to just help themselves because they don't want to wait a few minutes?

(And I admit: I'm guilty of grabbing a couple of the little peanut butter things to bring home for my dog when I pass through CLT.)

6. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I was very friendly with the bartenders in the Philly clubs--they are a tough bunch... I doubt they would put up with behavior like that.

Now I would normally be tempted to say that this is the type of customer US is attracting, but the truth is that there are people behaving badly all over the place.....the entitlement of some people just baffles me .... surprised none were DYKWHIA's....

7. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    All in 10 minutes? Impressive!!! :p

8. jemmazee
    Original Member

jemmazee Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed - they keep things under control there - I actually passed through a couple weeks later and asked how things turned out. She said he ended up apologizing and paying for the wine - for me, it's just a reminder to take a few deep breaths when things aren't going my way ... and don't try to help myself from behind the bar!

I agree that people behave badly all over the place - but is it more common to behave badly while traveling?

9. Flag_November
    Original Member

Flag_November Silver Member

Status Points:
    Makes me want to join!

10. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was in the LGA club recently, and I was pretty shocked by the behavior there as well. It's getting pretty sad, honestly. I used to think that the behavior in the area around the gates was bad, but it seems like that behavior is spilling into the clubs that many of us purchase to have peace and quiet away from the gate area behavior. Pretty soon there will be nowhere to escape... :rolleyes:

11. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I guess this is just another way in which US expects us to lower our expectations...but I am sure it happens elsewhere as well...

12. JSpira
    Original Member

JSpira Silver Member

Status Points:
    What do you mean by "over so ethnic"?

13. uva185
    Original Member

uva185 Member

Status Points:
    The bartenders do tend to disappear at the DCA Club. I've never considered helping myself but I have poked my head into the back room to see if I could find them. :p

14. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    At least you didn't walk in on a "quickie" in the restroom. ;)

(Yes, that story was told recently)

15. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    OOOh I hadnt caught that!! IPad Auto-correct fail! I will clean it up when I get back to a laptop. What it should have been was "something unclear" or something along those lines. Not sure how it got "so ethnic" out of that.

I just returned from my friend Jill's wedding; it auto-corrected that to read Brad and Kills Wedding in facebook.

Yay auto-correct!

16. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Like a lady clipping her toenails in the SFO PC and flinging toenail bits everywhere?

A guy at the RCC at ORD (little one at the far end of B) yelling at the cleaners when he wanted more crackers and expected them to go to the snack display, fetch them, and serve him?

A guy holding a Delta coach ticket, demanding an upgrade upon boarding a US flight that DL had reaccomodated him on, to get him out of Atlanta and on to CLT when snow was heading in and his DL flight was cancelled? US had upgraded a military fella at boarding, and I guess Mr DL Y Ticket knew that wasn't a paid upgrade, and figured he was more entitled to that seat. Even though he had a coach ticket on another airline.

A lady at the VS Clubhouse at LHR stuffing baguettes from the deli buffet into her purse (like 9 of them)?

There are uncouth, ill-mannered passengers on any airline. Let's not turn this thread into yet another attack on US from folks who never fly them.

kellio and kwidhalm like this.
  17. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Patti I was the one who said it happens all over, just not surprising there. Let's not make it into something it's not. Nuff said.

18. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just posted on United about a guy playing a Youtube video!

I don't get the ones who think they are the only one in the lounge, the cellphone yeller is the most common offender, but last week at the EWR RCC, I had the privilege of a cellphone yeller, sitting on a table (she was surrounded by four comfy EMPTY chairs), picking at her toe while complaining (yelling) about some deal not going well. :(

dc_traveler likes this.
  19. edenri
    Original Member

edenri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is a bit off topic. This behavior does spill out everywhere though. Today, I stopped at Whole Foods to pick up some lunch for today and few other things. I watched one guy go over to each sample display and take multiple ones, not even looking to see what they were. It was like he knew and was on a mission to fill up on them before he bought something. Then as I'm getting my meal off the buffet, theres some other guy eating all kinds of fried shrimp instead of putting them into his take out container.

I like saving cash too, but at least be honest about it. Eating off a buffet line before paying, taking multiple complimentary items, these are borderline stealing, and plain inconsiderate.

Horse likes this.
  20. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    Art, with all due respect, some of your comments can be interpreted as backhanded, and while I know I am not the only one interpreting them as such, perhaps it should just be chalked up to how certain statements really need the tone of voice to put them into proper context. Losing the tone of voice means Internet postings are more likely to be mis-interpreted. If I am reading too much into things, then please accept my apology.

Back on topic: a little while ago at the NZ Koru Club in LAX, I saw a family with about 4 really little kids letting the kids play with the fax machine. The parents set themselves up at a table a little ways across the room and turned the kids loose on the unsuspecting fax machine, letting them push buttons, throw paper, and generally make a big mess. I'd love for my mom to babysit those kids; I can still remember the Swat of her purse on my butt when I acted up in public. Since she routinely carried about $28 in change, it didn't take long for the message to sink in.

kwidhalm likes this.
  21. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, I can get all of this in the terminal for free, no need to join the club. :(

Horse likes this.
  22. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    These are probably the same type of parents who fly with their kids in J, and let them run around the cabin disturbing the other passengers. Maybe the airlines should make parents take a written test before children under the age of 12 can be booked into the premium cabins. :rolleyes:

My parents were very strict with us when we traveled. I remember getting "the lecture" about how to behave in the Ionosphere Club when my brothers and I were ages 11, 10 & 5. We would have preferred to have the run of the place, but my parents would not tolerate it.

kwidhalm likes this.
  23. dcpatti
    Original Member

dcpatti Silver Member

Status Points:
    I grew up "back in the day" when it was still socially acceptable to leave your kids in the car, or take them to the car and lock them in if they couldn't behave. I definitely remember crying in the back seat and staring at the family thru the pizzeria window. We'd learn up really fast.

kwidhalm likes this.
  24. kwidhalm
    Original Member

kwidhalm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I remember that as well! My mother would always carry a wooden spoon in her pocketbook just in case AND she would always say: "We are entering a place of business so you need to use your quiet voices and keep your hands to yourself." Needless to say the threat of the wooden spoon was enough to keep us in line! :D

SS255 likes this.
  25. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Maybe US should keep some wooden spoons on the desk next to the T-Mobile wifi cards, so that customers can help themselves to the tools they need to keep rude guests in line.

kwidhalm likes this.