Back of the UA 788

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by redtailshark, Apr 11, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've flown this machine numerous times. Amazing luck has kept me out of the Y cabin.... involving fortuitous RPU/GPU clearances, misfiled NH J fares, even actual CPU clearances.... but now, luck may be running out. Next week I fly it again, and it's less likely I'm going to benefit. I face the Y cabin seat assignment.

Sooo.... which seat do you recommend? This is not a giant flight, but we all know the difference between good Y and bad Y seats is enormous. Some of you must have experienced this habitat.

Flyer1976, 8MiHi and MX like this.
  2. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    I prefer the D and F seats as there's a bit more shoulder room and there's a perception that the E middle seat are worse than the other middle seat so people avoid them. The window seats are cramped since they are jammed up against the wall so that person leans away a little and that cascades to the aisle seat if there's a middle seat person.

redtailshark likes this.
  3. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Get an exit row seat if they are still available. The downside is that you have to store your 'personal item' in the bin for take off and landing, plus the tray table in the armrest makes a seat itself a bit narrower, but it's an easy in-out regardless of which seat you get and there is plenty of stretch room for the legs.

4. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Tx for the suggestions. None of the seats can be worse than those in the Y cabin of the ghetto 772 HNL-GUM.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  5. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Well, another escape... now, an advance CPU into R... so still I avoid the Y cabin on this machine. But lookee here, this aircraft has 252 seats (48J/204Y) so it's clearly not a 788 any more. In spite of what UA.COM says. If only every RJ on my list of reservations would grow this same way it would be a change I'd really like :)

[​IMG]

Gtitan likes this.
  6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    @redtailshark if memory serves didn't you (during our glory years) make a career out of riding KLM 744s and getting out of Y into WBC (without paying of course)? No different it would seem. :D :D

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like a good tall tale to share over drinks someday in a Dutch bar. ;)

Gtitan likes this.
  8. redtailshark

Status Points:
    @GT, well, now, I was successful but not exactly without paying at all... :p in the three years prior to the nightmare merger, I had a system worked out and was op-upped north of 30% of my ST intercontinental itins (AF, KL and NW back then). KL744s were a fave yes, because of the high J/Y ratio and other predictable factors. For example, booking EU to US on the first weekend day of Dutch school vacation was a strongly correlated success factor.

Best ever was a double opup into AF premiere on a gigantic FD itin from US to EU via HNL... which was ticketed in B class with twelve sectors and I was opupped on every sector operated with two- or three-class machines...ah, you know how grandiose it used to be. Or maybe, it was the occasions when the entire Shark fam, on saver Y awards, was opupped on the KL 772s and 332s... you are right, they were the redtail-golden days my friend.

On a smaller scale I've been fortunate since then, too, on Star (UA, LH and TK) and even on BA. Now that ought to shock some of you newer members, but it just demonstrates that the opup process uses factors beyond corporate worship and ideological conformance.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luft...s-more/1207307-aargh-lh-744-y-helllllp-2.html

Anyway, the UA machine above looks like a 789 and I'm sure that helps CPU clearance because of its higher J capacity.

9. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Well it was a 789 which is evidently much better for CPU chances. It was a nice ride on the shiny new plane. But that Galaxy/iTool type large in-seat handset wasn't functioning correctly to control IFE - it would not confirm any selections. I used the on-screen touch control instead.

So I still haven't seen the back of the UA 788 or 789... :) That statement ought to ensure I'm in Y for the next ride.....

Gtitan likes this.
  10. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Well, my strange luck with the UA 787 continues (including 789).

Almost another year has passed since I started this thread and by now, I've flown numerous further sectors on the 788 and 789.

Here's the kicker. I have NOT YET sat in the back of this a/c.

For example, I flew last week GRU/GIG on these machines...and the GPU's cleared well in advance. It did look like I was about to be cast into the back of a 788 on an IAH-LHR sector last Oct but thanks to irop on the LAX-IAH sector, I was rebooked at LAX on the n.s. 772...preserving the record. All domestic 787 sectors e.g DEN-IAH have been CPU'd.

On today's UA this is a notable fact.

I will let you all know when the inevitable happens...but perhaps I should buy one of those scale UA 787 models and sit it on my desk to up the ante in my daily life :)

Flyer1976 and Garp74 like this.
  11. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Meanwhile, I did see and experience the Y cabin on the 772...yet again :)

But in fact, the Y cabin experience for UA MP PG and above, with E+ at booking for self and companions, really isn't a bad Y option at all compared with most every other airline.

12. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Upcoming: 789 NRT to LAX... Y ticket and seat assignment and low fare class = no GPU... looks like I'm about to find out firsthand about the environment in the back of the bus...

Flying Machine likes this.
  13. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:

14. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Lookee here...all quiet at the NRT UC this morning. That's what happens when you arrive on NH before 0800.

[​IMG]

It's considerably better than last week, when I arrived here to be greeted by the M5.6 earthquake as I checked in to the Hilton. That temblor reminded me of when I used to live here....

これは、地震の季節です...

But, back to the UA 787 which awaits. It appears my luck with this machine is done now. In 4 hours I board and sit....in the Y cabin of this machine for the first time. It will be a long one....

Pizzaman and Garp74 like this.
  15. redtailshark

Status Points:
    OK, finally, now I have experienced it! And it's not really that bad. Well not this time anyway. There were a surprising number of open seats so I promptly moved back from row 16 to the center row 24 and occupied all three seats. Not a bad flight, as always when you can colonize multiple Y seats in the same row of a widebody for overnight.

violist, Dublin_rfk, bmg42000 and 2 others like this.
  16. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reassurance - I have cleverly decided to catch the
    SFO-SIN inaugural next week, and there was no award availability
    in C, so I was a little apprehensive for potentially giving my back
    one of the tougher tests it's had in six and half decades.