baby's first operational downgrade!

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by spaced2, Apr 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello world. Just wanted to wave my hands around in the air because today I experienced my first operational downgrade! Long story short, the plane slated for LX14 from ZRH to JFK today was pulled for mechanical reasons and the flight delayed 3 hrs so that they could tee up an A330-200 (the 300 usually flies that route). 40 economy passengers needed to take a bump and they were paying over $800 in compensation/offering first flight out the following morning.

I would've taken the overnight bump had a not had a meeting the next day, so i offered to forgo compensation to get me and my family on the all business 737 (PrivatAir hard product, but more than fine for a day flight). As an added bonus i went from earning 50% to 150% miles b/c they booked us into C.

big thing for me here is that the downgrade effectively pushed me over the edge for silver - halfway back to *G. Anyone have any good war stories along these lines? would you have taken the bump and booked a new revenue ticket?

[edit - ehh maybe this belongs in general travel discusison vs. miles / points?]

Gargoyle, Chimpy and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  2. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    not quite as profitable as yours, but a while ago was returning to GRR from CMH through ORD when the UA flight from CMH to ORD was oversold by 8. They offered $400 vouchers to volunteers. I didnt volunteer right away but when the 3rd call came for volunteers I figured I would have some more leverage. I offered to volunteer if I could get the voucher, and then be rerouted "my way".

With my trusty ipad and expertflyer website, I suggested a routing of CMH-IAD-LAX-ORD-GRR and get home the next morning vs. 11:30pm as I was scheduled to do now. The Gate agent was surprised at the data at my disposal since I gave him the flight numbers before he had a chance. After a few minutes I was ticketed in economy from CMH to IAD, and then F (also a request as part of my offer) from IAD-LAX-ORD-GRR. what would have been only 1200 miles from CMH ORD GRR (BMI minimum segments is 600 miles), I wound up getting about 13000 miles with the 3x multiplier for F. "cost" me flying around all night and getting home 12 hrs later than scheduled and I have a shiny voucher to apply towards my hong kong or Johannesburg MR later this yr.

3. spaced2
    Original Member

spaced2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    icing on the cake would've been getting the voucher and the upgrade. they only offered the upgrade :\ in retrospect, they were kind desperate so maybe i should've pushed :)